• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Babylon 5 2nd Ed....what are you doing with it?

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Anyone pick up Babylon 5 2nd Ed?
How are the supplements? (screen, Cold Equations, etc).

Any chance of a quick review? Or know where I can find one?

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
I have it. I can't really compare it to the original, however.

It seems worthwhile. The classes are somewhat more restricting than I had hoped, but due to the ability to make almost anything with the Agent or Scientist class its not too much of a problem. The combat resolution is nice and deadly, and the Psionics are effective but I wasn't massively inspired.

The Ragged Edge is very nice, but requires an experienced DM and a group willing to be spies and information-brokers and other things that are effective in Babylon 5 but not so for my group, unfortunately, who enjoy large hunks of combat.

Overall, having not played it, I'd give it a B. This may change upon playing, but I can't see that soon.

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
B5 in general is a genre-niche game. Unless your playing a group of soldiers or spec forces or whatever, it mostly plays like the show, lots of intrigue with some combat tossed in for good measure.

I like the cleanups they did with second edition and making some of the classes more viable to play. Officer for instance. Agent is still the way to go for most players though as it offers the most skill points and adaptability.

I also like that they didn't use Psi points or anything like that with the Telepathy rules and honestly, it leaves a lot open for me to explore and add to. I don't have a Teep in my group anymore, except for an NPC that I have show up every so often, so I couldn't tell ya how they play much.

I love the space combat rules quite a bit, they are streamlined and unless the Star Wars saga edition does a better job than the revised edition, I'll be converting it into the B5 space rules. I like the idea that everyone can participate, even if their character hasn't the first clue about ship operations.

I have Ragged Edge, but haven't played it, though from what I've read, it requires a very involved team.

The other books offer a lot of good background information for filling in the blanks and depending on the campaign you want to run, they can help you quite a bit. If you plan on a lot of travelling around, the Galaxy Guide is key...

I picked up the 2nd edition corebook on a friend's suggestion, and shadowbloodmoon is right about the clean-up between 1st and 2nd editions, not only for classes but also for feats and skills. Several skills have been lumped together so that even characters without a mess of skill points can be pretty competent in several areas. Computer Use as a skill ranks up there with being one of the most versatile, since it can also be used as a default for the skills needed to run various ships.

Currently playing in a game right now with a wide mix of characters, and everyone's got their nitch, although there's a bit of overlap due to how the characters were built in some cases. Some classes are more open than others in terms of what type of characters fit, with Telepath probably being the most restrictive of the lot.

Biggest shock for d20 veterans is that combat can be exceptionally deadly (as the Narn soldier found out to his dismay, and he's the combat-monster of the group).

Myself, being a huge fan of the anla'shok, was pleased as punch to see them included as a corebook base class.

Haven't had a chance to do more than skim through the space combat rules, as the game has yet to take any of the action out amongst the stars, other than a quick jaunt to a nearby system aboard a cargo transport.

It's more for fans of the series than general gamers, especially those more used to a "kick in the door" style of play, but it's still pretty good. And aside from bits of crunch, most of the material carries over form 1st ed supplements pretty consistantly.

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
On that note, if you want 'kick in the door' for B5, pick up the Earth Alliance Campaign Guide and download Signs and Portents 42 (IIRC). EA Spec Forces would be right up your alley.

Dr Simon

Explorer
I played 1st Ed. a bit, have 2nd ed but haven't used it 'hot' yet. It's quite reminiscent of original Traveller, IMO, with the deadly level of combat and where ex-military freelance troubleshooter type characters seem to be the most playable.

Of 2nd Ed - the streamlined skills are nice, and I like the variants that they did to telepathy where you can 'push' your psi-powers to the limit or play within your abilities without fear of hurting yourself. It's a simple yet elegant mechanic that I hope finds its way into other psi/magic systems.

I also quite like how the core classes have been compressed to 10 levels only - if you want to go higher you multi-class or go prestige. In my campaigns, the non-heroic people generally don't go above 10th level anyway, so why does one need the stats for a 20th level commoner (or Worker, in B5)? It cut out most of the dead levels too, so each level gains some worthwhile class ability.

Starship combat is radically overhauled and reads like a sub-game of starship tactics, but it does allow for more B5-ish starship combat where the players can bark out orders like "Afterburners to Full" and "Launch All Fighters" in the fashion of Sheridan. One neat little innovation here is the idea of a "focus" of space combat, be it a captial ship, jump gate, huge alin artifact etc.. Basically it is a relative point that the action centres around, and can change throughout the fight (a group of alien fighters buzz B5, chased by Delta Squadron. The 'Focus' is B5. The aliens break towards the jump gate. The focus becomes the jump gate.

The Influence rules are a nice addition too, although I'm not quite sure why the designers used 2D6 and not d20 as the dice roll. I guess they wanted the results to centre on the average values, but it feels a bit of a wrrench to use a different mechanic. It could also bring in actions that would feel strange to players used to a more direct, active approach. Instrad of hopping into a starfury and taking on the raiders yourself, call your government and get them to send a squadron. Of course you could, like Sinclair, do it yourself when you don't have to.

As an SF RPG in general, I think you could use it a as the basis for a semi-hard game set somewhere like the Traveller or Aliens universe - one where the PCs don't have a great deal of Kewl Powrz to fall back on and have to think their way out of trouble. The 2nd Ed is to the 1st Ed what the 2nd season was to the 1st - it feels a bit more solid, streamlined and consolidated.

Wraith Form

Explorer
"Babylon 5 2nd Ed....what are you doing with it?"

Using it as toilet paper..?

Bird cage liner?

Fireplace starter?

Later - Sorry. Was just feeling snarky about a certain publisher. After reading these positive reviews, I might look at it again.

Last edited:

eyebeams

Explorer
Wraith Form said:
"Babylon 5 2nd Ed....what are you doing with it?"

Using it as toilet paper..?

Bird cage liner?

Fireplace starter?

Later - Sorry. Was just feeling snarky about a certain publisher. After reading these positive reviews, I might look at it again.

Now be gentle. It's not as if the company isn't held in the highest regard by the series' creator! ;)

Wraith Form

Explorer
eyebeams said:
Now be gentle. It's not as if the company isn't held in the highest regard by the series' creator!
....so...many....double-negatives.....head...hurts...scrambling my....sarcasm-detector...

Mytholder

Dr Simon said:
The Influence rules are a nice addition too, although I'm not quite sure why the designers used 2D6 and not d20 as the dice roll. I guess they wanted the results to centre on the average values, but it feels a bit of a wrrench to use a different mechanic. It could also bring in actions that would feel strange to players used to a more direct, active approach. Instrad of hopping into a starfury and taking on the raiders yourself, call your government and get them to send a squadron. Of course you could, like Sinclair, do it yourself when you don't have to.

It was originally 1d20 - it got changed in playtesting because people complained at the low levels about being able to get a Hyperion one day, and then not even getting EarthForce to return their calls the next day.

Thank you all for the positive comments about B52E, and the Ragged Edge (I'm proud of both, especially the latter.).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads