• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Babylon 5 - The Cold Equations - Thoughts?

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
Hey guys.

I picked up The Ragged Edge some time back, and its a fairly awesome if difficult module (IMO). It basically leads on from The Cold Equations. I haven't picked that up yet, and I'm just wondering if TCE was a worthwhile intro adventure.

I've never run a B5 game before, but don't want to waste my money on TRE.

Mytholder

Arrgh! Mark! said:
Hey guys.

I picked up The Ragged Edge some time back, and its a fairly awesome if difficult module (IMO). It basically leads on from The Cold Equations. I haven't picked that up yet, and I'm just wondering if TCE was a worthwhile intro adventure.

I've never run a B5 game before, but don't want to waste my money on TRE.

(disclaimer: I wrote both Ragged Edge and The Cold Equations).
Cold Equations was designed as an introduction to the Babylon 5 setting. It starts out with the PCs being trapped on a shuttle, where they get to chat to various NPCs who happen to represent key elements of the B5 setting (there's a Narn quarelling with a Centauri; a rogue telepath on the run and so forth). After sitting on the shuttle, they either rescue themselves or get rescued, then run around Babylon 5 for a while being framed for sabotage and getting involved in Centauri/Earth intrigue.

If your players haven't played B5 before, and don't know the series, then the Cold Equations is a good refresher course on the setting. If they know B5, then you might be better off jumping right into The Ragged Edge and avoiding the slightly railroaded start of Cold Equations.

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
Thanks, Mytholder! I've a party where out of the 5 people in the group, 1 has seen the whole thing, 1 has seen bits and pieces and another is vaguely aware of stuff because I yap on about it. (Fiance). The others don't know much at all. That in mind, and seeing that it does lead on, I might very well pick it up.

I'd also like to congratulate you on The Ragged Edge. It's one of the coolest little campaigns I've seen :D.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads