• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Babylon 5

Markn

First Post
Next Question

Tell me a bit about Call to Arms...

How is it? I currently play DDM and have a vast collection in that. If I go into this I will likely buy the 5 main fleet boxes to start (Shadow plus the main 4). Are the mini's prepainted? Are they plastic like DDM or pewter? How is movement done (ala mage knight or D&D).

From what I could find the actual information on how the game is played and the description of the products apart from being hyped up seem to be lacking. When I was reading about the Minbari it looked like you had to assemble it....

Thanks for your help.

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
Ghostwind said:
You'll understand if I treat that statement with a bit of skepticism since nearly every other company who has done a 2nd edition treatment of a product has said that and then produced a product that completely invalidated almost all previous books. Want examples? Just look at Spycraft 2.0, Mutants & Masterminds 2.0, Midnight 2.0 (although that one wasn't near as bad), and the granddaddy of them all, 3.5 edition.

Err, no I won't understand - not a bit. Because I am telling you, here and now, that the current supplements will not be invalidated. I would also point out that none of the games you listed as examples were produced by Mongoose.

I cannot be plainer than this!

Mongoose_Matt said:
Err, no I won't understand - not a bit. Because I am telling you, here and now, that the current supplements will not be invalidated. I would also point out that none of the games you listed as examples were produced by Mongoose.

As somebody who is something of a fan of the B5 RPG (judging by the half-dozen or so books for it on my shelf) and didn't know anything about a second edition before this thread, here's what I've got to say.

I can certainly understand dumping the d20STL and going straight OGL, it does appear to be really part of your overall strategy. The hindrances of the STL are something I can certainly understand you wanting to be free of. Simply removing that little logo and including character creation/advancement information is the easy step there.

However, as to actually changing things. From what I see, it looks pretty good as-is. Perhaps a nice little declaration that the Worker class is meant to be an NPC class (and the optional Worker class rules you had on your web site being included in the core too), and any errata or tweaks.

Personally, as a suggestion I would ask to separate the core book from the season 1 guide, and make the core book more of a general overview, since things people think of when they think of B5 like Rangers and the White Star aren't even in the core book.

I'll agree with the sentiment that I'd be very upset if there are radical changes in a Second Edition that would make my original B5 RPG incompatible, but I'll take your word for it is not your intent.

MongooseMatt

First Post
wingsandsword said:
However, as to actually changing things. From what I see, it looks pretty good as-is. Perhaps a nice little declaration that the Worker class is meant to be an NPC class (and the optional Worker class rules you had on your web site being included in the core too), and any errata or tweaks.

Personally, as a suggestion I would ask to separate the core book from the season 1 guide, and make the core book more of a general overview, since things people think of when they think of B5 like Rangers and the White Star aren't even in the core book.

You pretty much have it on the nail here - the Season Guide is coming out, the White Stars and Rangers are going in. In other areas, the space combat system was always something I was not completely happy with. We'll also have a full trading system in there, as well as more details on social interaction, alliances and contacts. Oh, and the Pak'ma'ra will be a playable race from the outset :)

Markn

First Post
I've got to say, support for Mongoose products seems to be terrible! In particular regarding Babylon 5, A Call to Arms.

I have left questions here, on the Mongoose forums and have emailed Ian Barstow who is the contact for miniature information at Mongoose. I have recieved very few answers. In fact, one message sent from Ian was 'Hi". Every other reply of his was one sentence which never did answer any of my questions.

Now I am potentially looking at gettting into the game but the description of the product is somewhat incomplete and was hoping either players or designers could assist me with my questions. Apparently I was wrong.

I am severly dissappointed with Mongoose and am not likely to invest in the game since the support is so terrible.

Have others experienced this?

BPIJonathan

Explorer
Ghostwind said:
You'll understand if I treat that statement with a bit of skepticism since nearly every other company who has done a 2nd edition treatment of a product has said that and then produced a product that completely invalidated almost all previous books.

I know that we are getting ready to release Cityscape 2.0 and it doesnt invalidate the existing material.

MongooseMatt

First Post
Markn said:
Now I am potentially looking at gettting into the game but the description of the product is somewhat incomplete and was hoping either players or designers could assist me with my questions. Apparently I was wrong.

Hi Markn,

My apologies, I missed your posts - and if you have had no joy on our forums, you have been very, very unlucky, as they are very active. However, if you ever get stuck, you can always contact me directly at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com - about anything Mongoose-related. Anyway, on to your posts here;

As far as the RPG goes, I think I covered most of your queries in earlier posts. It won't appear until next year.

The ships in A Call to Arms are unpainted pewter, requiring assembly and painting. However, the box set contains a huge amount of counters that will let you fight battles of practically any size. In our tournaments, we allow the use of miniatures or counters.

Movement assumes inertia for large ships and is a simple cm measurement forward with a set number of turns permitted.

If there is anything else you would like to know, either give me a shout or drop by our forums - there are plenty of people there who will give you a second opinion on the game.

Markn

First Post
MongooseMatt said:
Hi Markn,

My apologies, I missed your posts - and if you have had no joy on our forums, you have been very, very unlucky, as they are very active. However, if you ever get stuck, you can always contact me directly at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com - about anything Mongoose-related. Anyway, on to your posts here;

As far as the RPG goes, I think I covered most of your queries in earlier posts. It won't appear until next year.

The ships in A Call to Arms are unpainted pewter, requiring assembly and painting. However, the box set contains a huge amount of counters that will let you fight battles of practically any size. In our tournaments, we allow the use of miniatures or counters.

Movement assumes inertia for large ships and is a simple cm measurement forward with a set number of turns permitted.

If there is anything else you would like to know, either give me a shout or drop by our forums - there are plenty of people there who will give you a second opinion on the game.

Thank you for your reply.

I read on another site that you are considering releasing fleets in plastic molds. Is this true and if so will those be prepainted or similar to the pewter minis?

Ghostwind

First Post
Mongoose_Matt said:

That's fine, Matt. But I am still going to be skeptical and hold off purchasing the Galactic Guide until 2nd edition is released next year. I've been burnt too many times in the past to keep investing money into something only to turn around and find out that everything I just spent is meaningless because of changes with a new edition. Publishers break promises because they sometimes have to and beause it's the nature of the business. I'm going to bide my time and wait before investing anymore into B5.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads