• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Back in my day (ooh me back etc)...

STARP_JVP

First Post
Does anyone, like I do, hanker for the old 2E days when "Human" was in the monster book?
How many times have you, the stalwart DM, had a random encounter with bandits or something similar and not had the stats close at hand? I know I have. Sure, there's the so-called "Quick NPC" in the DMG, but the table's so hard to read on the fly. Does anyone else feel it's racial discrimination to leave Humans out of the MM? I mean, elves are in it. So are Dwarves and Gnomes and Halflings. Why not Humans? Huh? HUH? WHY IS IT? WHY? WHY?

Ahem.

Sorry. But don't I have a point? Why aren't humans in the MM no more?

And another thing. What is wrong with our young people today? They sit around the TV stuffing their faces...

Excuse me. Got to run. Matlock's on.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I liked the human section of the MM, but think that its representation of quick NPCs wouldn't work with the modern Monster Manual. If human were to be in the MM these days, it'd be a 1st level warrior, like all the rest of 'em.

Demiurge out.

TheGM

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
I liked the human section of the MM, but think that its representation of quick NPCs wouldn't work with the modern Monster Manual. If human were to be in the MM these days, it'd be a 1st level warrior, like all the rest of 'em.

Demiurge out.

Demiurge is right. In the age of classed kobolds and minotaurs, what chance of having a human bandit with Xd8 hit dice?

S'mon

Legend
It certainly p*sses me off no end, it's absolutely infuriating. I've no idea what Skip(?) was thinking, leaving humans out of the MM. I run a humancentric world where exotic monsters are rare, so the focus of the 3e MM was exactly not what I wanted.

diaglo

Adventurer
TheGM said:
Demiurge is right. In the age of classed kobolds and minotaurs, what chance of having a human bandit with Xd8 hit dice?
what about finding a human with d6 hps. and 0hp = dead. and AC 9 was the worst armor type.

diaglo "still playing OD&D(1974)" Ooi

Numion

First Post
S'mon said:
It certainly p*sses me off no end, it's absolutely infuriating. I've no idea what Skip(?) was thinking, leaving humans out of the MM. I run a humancentric world where exotic monsters are rare, so the focus of the 3e MM was exactly not what I wanted.

Would one instance of human warrior 1 fix your grievances? It sounds like you'd need a Human Manual, not a Monster Manual.

diaglo

Adventurer
Numion said:
Would one instance of human warrior 1 fix your grievances? It sounds like you'd need a Human Manual, not a Monster Manual.

to paraphrase EGG: "everything that is not a PC is a monster...even that 5th lvl cleric you visit for healing"

Zappo

Explorer
Odd enough, my philosophy nowadays is closer to "everything that isn't a PC is an NPC, even that wraith that is attacking you on sight".

S'mon

Legend
Numion said:
Would one instance of human warrior 1 fix your grievances?

Of course not, but I'm not demanding anything that wasn't being done 28 years ago something like the "Men" entry in 1e MM or "Human" in 2e MM would do fine at a minimum, though I'd personally I'd prefer something more expansive for humans, like eg the Runequest 3e monster book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads