• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Back into the combat immediatley

erik_the_guy

First Post
So I'm playing some D&D with my rogue. I use a power that hits an enemy and gives me combat advantage against him for a round or so. On his turn he cuts me up pretty bad, and I go down to -1 hp, unconscious at his feat. The cleric brings me back before my next turn, and I get up and make my sneak attack (since I still have combat advantage).
So to reiterate, you beat me to a pulp, my friend casts a spell, and I get up and sneak attack you.
I don't see much of a problem with this but it pissed the DM off a bit. Are there any rules about what you can do the turn you become conscious again?

Switchback

First Post
If you go unconscious you will be prone. So on your turn you would still have to use your move to stand up. But if the enemy was still right there adjacent to you being flanked, or otherwise granting CA (what was the power?), I don't see why you couldn't sneak attack.

In his next life that enemy will go after the cleric first. :p

Last edited:

Danceofmasks

First Post
Well, apart from the consequences of being unconscious, i.e. prone & possibly having dropped whatever you were holding (DM's call), you can do whatever.

Your foe might have been a slight bit smarter and shifted away from you .. so some characters might have trouble getting up and hitting.
Rogues with daggers don't care, though ... most of their powers are equally useful while throwing their dagger.

keterys

First Post
C'mon - the guy you thought was down who gets up and gets in the surprise strike is _classic_. The DM totally shouldn't be pissed at that :)

ac_noj

First Post
The DM shouldn't be pissed off at all. If the rules say it's correct, go with it. If you think it's broken or aren't sure check the rules or make a house rule between sessions. Why get angry about it?
Refer you DM to the bottom of page 7 in the DMG.

MarkB

Legend
So to reiterate, you beat me to a pulp, my friend casts a spell, and I get up and sneak attack you.
I don't see much of a problem with this but it pissed the DM off a bit. Are there any rules about what you can do the turn you become conscious again?

What if the monster had beaten you down to +1 hp, and the cleric had done nothing? In that case, you're even more beaten up than you were after the cleric's spell took effect, and yet you can sneak attack perfectly well.

Syrsuro

First Post
I think as a DM the answer would depend upon the power that you used to gain combat advantage.

There is no question that, for example, flanking would still apply. You stand up and if you are still in position, you can benefit from flanking.

But that was not situtation the OP described.

So what was the power you used? How did it give you combat advantage.

If it was because of the effect of the attack upon the opponent (Easy Target -> staggering blow to enemy; Crimson Edge -> vicious bleeding wound) I would say that the effect was still in place, and thus the combat advantage still applied.

If, on the other hand, the 'effect' was centered on the rogue's position or movement I would be tempted to say that being dropped interrupted their concentration/ tactic, and the combat advantage was lost. For example, Ghost on the Wind - which grants combat advantage in conjunction with a move or shift may be interrupted by the rogue falling down. Or if you gained combat advantage through a feint, I'd say that the feint was interrupted by your body hitting the floor (although I'd probably also be generous and allow you to try to feint again).

And note - going unconscious is very different from the case where the rogue was dropped to 1 point and not healed. The rogue may be in better condition afterwards, but some of these attacks are best (imho) thought of as multi-round combinations. The rogue makes an attack in one round and that gains him a benefit in the next. And in some cases it makes perfect sense that losing consciousness and slumping to the ground - however briefly - would interrupt a multi-round combo move while being battered, but not dropped, would not.

Carl

Last edited:

Noinarap

First Post
So I'm playing some D&D with my rogue. I use a power that hits an enemy and gives me combat advantage against him for a round or so. On his turn he cuts me up pretty bad, and I go down to -1 hp, unconscious at his feat. The cleric brings me back before my next turn, and I get up and make my sneak attack (since I still have combat advantage).
It depends on how you picture it all.

The rogue hits with Setup Strike, knocking his opponent off balance. However, the flailing enemy luckily connects, dropping the rogue to the ground. Angry and bloodied, the rogue hops to his feat, stabbing at his shocked foe.

Sounds like a good fight to me.

Solodan

First Post
Sounds like a pretty standard combat trick. Depends on monster intelligence, though. Standard, average intelligence monsters would probably just do exactly that - smack the seemingly easy target, then focus on the guy also trying to kill them. Smart or especially cruel monsters who can recognize a cleric might try to coup-de-grace extra damage into that rogue so he stays down. Tactical monsters may want better footing so shift 1 square away from the fallen rogue if they have a move or shift action left.

Also, this reminds me of a bluff trick - falling prone on the next hit to feign death. I wonder if it would work? Since falling prone is a minor action, probably not easily under the current rules without going through all the trouble of readying an action.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads