• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Back to D&D after 18 Yrs

SavageRobby

First Post
Akrasia said:
Of course, you could simply play the version of D&D that you played 18 years ago! If you had a good time with the game then, there is no obvious reason why you wouldn't have a good time with it now.

This suggestion probably will not be too popular on these boards, but if you're looking for a place where older versions of D&D are actively supported I would recommend visiting dragonsfoot.org.

Along these lines, if you're interested in a version of the game that very much resembles AD&D (which 3x and 4x do not), but has a bit more updated mechanics, look into Castles and Crusades by Troll Lords Games. C&C is nice, in that it allows you to port in material from B/X, 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions all fairly easily with minimal effort. (Plus the hardcover rulebook is around $20, last I looked.)

You could also look into OSRIC - essentially an AD&D clone - along with Labyrinth Lord or BFRPG (Basic Fantasy Roleplaying Game) - basically Basic/Expert clones.

The Red Priest

First Post
What Akrasia said, and like the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke .." Whatever it was you were into before, "original" D&D, AD&D or whatever, go ahead and start with that to get back in the swing, and just check out newer stuff as you go along.

That said, I'd definitely skip 3.5 and wait for 4.0, it's likely to be orders of magnitude simpler. Whereas 3.5 is poison ivy for me, I found that the 4.0 demo in which I played to not totally suck and was actually somewhat enjoyable. I still prefer OOP D&D, but I'd go 4 before 3.

Also, don't count out Runequest, either Chaosium's or Mongoose's versions, nor HARP or Rolemaster, both by Iron Crown Enterprises. I think HARP is great for D&Ders who want to try something different, but don't want to go too far abroad.

I assume you're only interested in fantasy at the moment, but Call of Cthulhu (any era) is a really great horror game. It's not about poser vampires and werewolves, but stuff that'll extract your brain and stick it in a metal tube for transport to the center of the cosmos.

Ranes

Adventurer
Around here you'll find a lot of spin attached to the newer editions in particular. But if at all possible, I'd play with what you used to know, if you and/or any of your old group still have a copy of that game. In the meantime, I'd read up on 4e and 3.5.

And welcome back.

Ranes

Adventurer
SavageRobby said:
...if you're interested in a version of the game that very much resembles AD&D (which 3x and 4x do not)...

There you go. Subjectivity masquerading as fact is exactly what I was talking about. I, for example, found 3.5 to resemble AD&D in many ways. It's neither here nor there, though. SR's recommendation of C&C is certainly an option you may want to consider.

retem

First Post
Thanks for all the replys. A lot of good stuff to process and go through.

We all sold, threw out or lost our old AD&D stuff. Which sucks because I will really looking forward to playing Keep on the Borderlands :).

I am leaning towards getting the Basic Game then purchasing the 4E. Although I am going to look at some of the other RPGs noted below.

Thanks again, can't wait to get back.

Darkwolf71

First Post
Greg K said:
First thing, I am not a fan of 4e based on what we have been told (which is not to imply that I think 3e is perfect). That said, I would recommend:

1) Get familiar with 3.5
a download and read the 3.5 SRD. Granted, you won't have the character generation rules, the Experience chart for leveling, names like Bigsby, Tenser, and Ottiluke in certain spells, and the art. You might also be missing some other options as well. But you will have enough to get a feel for the system.
Indeed. The SRD is a great way to familiarize yourself with the 3.5 rules and not pay for doing so. You might prefer the Hypertext SRD for ease of flowing from one topic to another relavent one.

b) look at some of the WOTC supplements in the store.

c) Get familiar with the third party publishers. Look at some third party websites and, if possible, check out previews ( or better actual products in game store) to see what some of the best support was like. Also check out the reviews on this site. Here are a few companies:

<snip>

5) Make your decision
Uh, yeah. Pretty much my point exactly. Far too much source material for what may be a DM and one single PC.

roguerouge

First Post
retem said:
2.) Is 3.5 single PC Friendly? If noone else from our group comes back we may be stuck with just a DM and PC

I've had nothing but fun doing a single PC campaign. The DM just has to be careful in setting the challenges or provide the PCs with friends, followers, and cohorts. I subtract 3 from the ELs and eye-ball it from there.

My advice, in the order I'd pick:

1. "If it ain't broke..." Want that old time D&D feeling? Play old-time D&D. (This includes stuff like OSRIC.) In this case, sites like Dragonsfoot, Knights-n-Knaves, and the OD&D Discussion boards might be helpful and inspirational.

2. Want an in-print game that will have a lot that is familiar to you, and is a middle ground between old and new D&D? Check out Castles & Crusades and the Troll Lord forums.

3. Want modern D&D? I'd wait for 4E. It's supposed to be simpler and faster than 3.X, and you'll be getting in on the ground floor.

retem said:
We all sold, threw out or lost our old AD&D stuff. Which sucks because I will really looking forward to playing Keep on the Borderlands :).
If you post over at Dragonsfoot it's likely that you can pick up some AD&D books for very cheap (I've even seen them donated for free). Or there's OSRIC, which is a free download.

Also, just so you know, you can get many of the old out-of-print D&D and AD&D products (including the rulebooks) on PDF for very cheap at RPGNow. For example, here's Keep on the Borderlands.

Hairfoot

First Post
After such a long absence from the game, I strongly recommend you avoid 3.5. It's complicated and assumes a lot of previous knowledge about RPG systems. Based on current information, 4E will likely be a bit friendlier, but still quite complex.

My recommendation is Basic Fantasy RPG (www.basicfantasy.org). It's a flexible variant of Basic D&D, and should be good for getting back into the saddle before moving on to a more complex system. Plus, it's free.

Castles & Crusades is also a nice system, but you may be unwilling to shell out for a pile of books you won't use once you move into 3.5 or 4E (if you do at all).

I don't mean all this to sound patronising. I jumped into 3.5 after a long break from AD&D, but nearly quit because of the density of rules I had to wade through. I wouldn't want a returning gamer to drop out for similar reasons.

Remove ads