• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Background Question???

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Okay so I am working on grabbing copies of the 5e Core books but browsing a friends copy I read about the Backgrounds and what they entail is basically an Origin backstory point that grants small boons to the player.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_SRD:Backgrounds

Reason I ask is I am going to try to run a 5e Pre/Post-Apocalyptic game inspired by the Fallout franchise and other console/PC games, movie, books, and other media apocalypse.

What I wanted to know is if any DM/GM's have allowed more for the player upon start of their campaign world. For example simple clothes/armor, weapons, and other equipment upon leaving their home.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Okay so I am working on grabbing copies of the 5e Core books but browsing a friends copy I read about the Backgrounds and what they entail is basically an Origin backstory point that grants small boons to the player.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_SRD:Backgrounds

Reason I ask is I am going to try to run a 5e Pre/Post-Apocalyptic game inspired by the Fallout franchise and other console/PC games, movie, books, and other media apocalypse.

What I wanted to know is if any DM/GM's have allowed more for the player upon start of their campaign world. For example simple clothes/armor, weapons, and other equipment upon leaving their home.
That is usually included in the Starting Equipment listed in each background and class layout.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

AnimeSniper

Explorer
That is usually included in the Starting Equipment listed in each background and class layout.

True and I will check the 5e SRD's for each listed class and get a feel of them and how the older D20 Modern/Future and such could tie into them.

However, I will be using a few non-core Backgrounds similar but not exactly the same as these homebrew ones here http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Backgrounds and their creation of said backgrounds here http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Background_Design_Guide

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
There are no real "core" backgrounds, hence why they aren't included in the SRD. There are instructions on making one in the PHB.

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Once again True

[MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] I thumbed to the section in my friends books and noticed that also today but I am working my D&D mental pathways around the concept.

With the aid of the fan created homebrew in the d20 section have started working out a few BG's for the players to use since my campaign has some Fallout-esque material for their starting point.

So for example the players choose as their characters base using modded D20 Modern/Future RAW.
Player 1
Race- Human
Background- Bunker Descendant 3rd Generation
Class- Smart 2 Engineer 1

Player 2
Race- Human
Background- Bunker Descendant 3rd Generation
Class- Tough 2 Soldier 1

Because both are from the Bunker they would have access to better equipment then found in the wasteland above.

Illithidbix

Explorer
The Basic Rules have some of the Backgrounds from the PHB (Acolyte, criminal, folk hero, noble, sage and soldier)
Basic rules are here: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

The main mechanical benefit that backgrounds grant are two skill proficiencies which aren't restrained by your class list alongside the also give two languages or two tool proficiencies (or one of each). The feature is potentially useful but normally very specific in circumstance.

The amount of equipment and money granted by the background is relatively minor (mostly approx 20-30gp I think), the majority of expensive equipment is from the starting package from the class.

Satyrn

First Post
Because both are from the Bunker they would have access to better equipment then found in the wasteland above.
Go ahead and do it.

I wouldn't make it a great deal better, though. Aim for just enough to make it feel satisfying fot the vault based backgrounds while making sure players of the surface dwelling PCs don't feel shafted. So that means I'd be giving them stuff like nicer clothes, undamaged eyeglasses, properly made tools . . .

. . . oh hey. Along with the gear, making certain tool proficiencies only available through vault -based backgrounds could help you achieve your goal, too.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
The Basic Rules have some of the Backgrounds from the PHB (Acolyte, criminal, folk hero, noble, sage and soldier)
Basic rules are here: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

The main mechanical benefit that backgrounds grant are two skill proficiencies which aren't restrained by your class list alongside the also give two languages or two tool proficiencies (or one of each). The feature is potentially useful but normally very specific in circumstance.

The amount of equipment and money granted by the background is relatively minor (mostly approx 20-30gp I think), the majority of expensive equipment is from the starting package from the class.
I believe that the most gold offered is 25 for the noble.

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Go ahead and do it.

I wouldn't make it a great deal better, though. Aim for just enough to make it feel satisfying fot the vault based backgrounds while making sure players of the surface dwelling PCs don't feel shafted. So that means I'd be giving them stuff like nicer clothes, undamaged eyeglasses, properly made tools . . .

. . . oh hey. Along with the gear, making certain tool proficiencies only available through vault -based backgrounds could help you achieve your goal, too.

From what I have noted down in my notes those players who choose Wastelander Backgrounds won't be shafted as I plan on them having certain skills/Contacts/Knowledge that only someone living outside the Bunker would have... Four NPC's will sadly be sacrificed to show the horrors of the wasteland beyond the sealed Vanadium doors.

Remove ads