• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Background" skill points at Level 1

Nyaricus

First Post
Old thread, but pertinent. I found it in many of my travels :p

candidus_cogitens said:
I didn't realize anyone else did this, other than me. But maybe I got the idea from someone else and forgot that it wasnt mine originally.
You know, I am amazed that I am not the only one too. It's too bad you and many other posters in this thread simply don't freqent EN World anymore :(

I recently started up a new thread which discusses limiting craft, appraise Knowledge etc into expert only, and only giving free 'background' skill points (an elegant enough name, so that'll do it).

I am just surprized that anyone uses this :lol:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Nyaricus said:
You know, I am amazed that I am not the only one too. It's too bad you and many other posters in this thread simply don't freqent EN World anymore :(

Is there a "raise one eyebrow" emoticon?

-- N

Bront

The man with the probe
I usually give a background feat (Which I've had people explain in a story or background, so it was fairly open if it fit and was well written out). Skill points, that I could see as well as a bonus for a background.

Nyaricus

First Post
Nifft said:
Is there a "raise one eyebrow" emoticon?

-- N
Why'd you do that? Cause I was carring on a conversation with someone who isn't there? You should meet my invisible friend Bob, mang.

;)

I coun't maybe 8 people here whoa ren't here anymore :( Poor EN World.

Panask

First Post
I grant 6 + Int mod free Skill Points to be spent on Craft, Profession, and Language skills. (I use a language system in my campaign where you need about 3 Skill Points, or a feat, to speak a language fluently.)

One of the other DMs in my campaign world uses roleplaying opportunities to allow the player to trade a few XPs for Skill Points: "You've been explicitly helping out with the sailing, so you can pick up 2 points of Profession (sailor) in exchange for N XPs." I won't specify N here because our XP system is quite different form standard D&D - we actually just use Hero Points, which can be used to go up levels, improve a dice roll, make magical items, bind a character to a magic item so he can use it (certain magic items only), and so on.

Panask
Servitar to Baldur

TracerBullet42

First Post
Something that I like to try in my games to encourage players to put ranks in the profession skill is to offer synergy bonuses to related skills. When the PC gains five ranks in the profession skill, I grant a +2 bonus to three skills that seem relevant to the stated profession. This simple bonus offers an incentive to throw a few ranks towards a profession and helps PCs to get "fleshed out."

Stalker0

Legend
One idea I've thought of trying was just allow all skills to be class skills, but only at 1st level. Since a 1st level adventurer has years of background where he could have developed skills, he could have developed skills in many different areas.

In this case, while the rogue would lose a little to a fighter in that the fighter can pick up lots of normally rogue only skills...the rogue has a base of 32 skillpoints at 1st level compared to a fighter's 8, so its not like the rogue is giving up a whole lot.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads