• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Background Suggestions

Bob_no_Oni

First Post
Greetings all,

I am creating a character for my upcoming Thursday game, and I am stuck on figuring out a good background for him. The basis for the character is a Duergar Paladin that has been exiled from his home due to worshipping a deity that the council in charge of his city deems to be heretical. He is going to be a Paladin of Asmodeus, taking either the Oath of Vengeance or the Oath of the Crown, depending on background. As such, I come to you folks for suggestions that fit this idea. So far, I am looking at Faction Agent as one (with his faction being Lord's Alliance). Thank you ahead of time for any help.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Generally Duergar worship Laduguer or Deep Duerra (now that they are alive again). There was a point however where both of those deities were killed off (frankly Im not that knowledgable on how it happened). It however creates a perfect entry point for your Paladin.

Now is possible that Asmodeus was masquerading as either of these Deities (and not unusual in FR for Deities to pass themselves off as someone else). People might pray to Deep Duerra and instead the divine spark for her priests might instead come from in this case Asmodeus . Ive noticed indeed that he has Trickery as a Domain option, so its entirely possibly that he may have attempted something similar in the past.

Perhaps the Dueregar home city continued to worship Laduguer not knowing that they were in fact worshipping Asmodeus. Parts of the faith got swapped out and changed over time until it was a mockery of what it was. However the end of the Sundering occured again and both Gods were brought back (Im assuming by Ao) and surprise.. one of the Duergar cities is now heretical because their teachings are all different than they should be. They receive visions of Woe from Laduguer who sends in some holy help to clean things up.

Perhaps your Paladin order started during the time that Asmodeus was masquerading as Laduguer. Now however the tide has turned and the order has all but been destroyed by the Purists of the real faith. The city has turned on you and Duergar being what they are prefer to just excise the would. So the order was destroyed and perhaps your character was the last one. In some irony perhaps the Dwarve's family were targeted by associated and enslaved (slavery being a big deal in this society). This works well off the Oath of Vengeance, but not as much for Oath of the Crown.

I find it harder to reconcile the Faction Agent though. That may of happened after your Paladin left his home rather quickly.

Religous civil wars and schisms are pretty common in Faerun.

Bob_no_Oni

First Post
Thank you for the information Tyranthraxus. Based on using that background, the new Far Traveler background would work well, since being an exiled individual is part of the "Why are you here?" section. I also think it works well for being Vengeance, as I am attempting to gain vengeance also on those that exiled me. Thank you again Tyranthraxus.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Horus: The guy is after suggestions : 'Saying do what you want to do' is akin to saying' Remember to have fun' . Both things Im pretty sure Bob_No_Oni has a grip on.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
You could use 'hermit'. In your case, you were _compelled_ to head for the uninhabited wastes.
The secret you have learned (Asmodeus pretending to be Laduguer) would rock both faiths, and give all other members of the dwarven pantheon - not to mention their worshippers - pause to reflect.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads