• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Backing up a threat

zlorf

First Post
Hi,

We play that 20 is a automatic hit when it comes to Melee attacks.

When you roll to backup a threat, does a 20 automatically cause a crit, if thats the only roll that would have hit the PC's or creature AC.

ie a goblin with +2 Attack bonus fighting someone with 30 AC. Goblin rolls a 20 for a threat and then roll another 20 to back it up for a crit.

I say yes, im am the DM, but i recall one of the player in the past saying you can only backup a threat if your roll, plus Attack bonus is greater than the AC. A 20 on a threat is'nt an automatic hit.

Cheers
Zlorf

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
The threat check is an "attack roll" and an attack roll automatically hits if you roll a 20.

From the SRD, under Critical Hit and Attack Roll:

When you make an attack roll and get a natural 20 (the d20 shows 20), you hit regardless of your target’s Armor Class, and you have scored a threat. The hit might be a critical hit (or "crit"). To find out if it’s a critical hit, you immediately make a critical roll—another attack roll with all the same modifiers as the attack roll you just made.

A natural 1 (the d20 comes up 1) on an attack roll is always a miss. A natural 20 (the d20 comes up 20) is always a hit.

VonRichthofen

First Post
zlorf said:
Hi,

So you play by D&D rules. Congratulations. ;) (apart from the "melee only" part, that is!)

Apart from that, a double 20 is a crit, no matter the AC. Happens once every 400 times, shouldn't be that bad.

bestone

First Post
We've always played that if you roll 2 natural 20's then confirm the crit, its an instant kill, this campaign, very first roll the dm does? instant kill! it was hilarious. Fortunately he had a fit of coughing so violent the d20 had tipped over just enough to "miss" thereby saving our friend....but it was close!

Dross

Explorer
zlorf said:
Hi,

When you roll to backup a threat, does a 20 automatically cause a crit, if thats the only roll that would have hit the PC's or creature AC.

ie a goblin with +2 Attack bonus fighting someone with 30 AC. Goblin rolls a 20 for a threat and then roll another 20 to back it up for a crit.

Thats the way I read the rules

zlorf said:
I say yes, im am the DM, but i recall one of the player in the past saying you can only backup a threat if your roll, plus Attack bonus is greater than the AC. A 20 on a threat is'nt an automatic hit.

Nope, I know of know such rule.

While you can simply say "As DM this is how I see this rule working" i'd prefer to say "Could you show me where it says that in the rules, please"

Legildur

First Post
bestone said:
We've always played that if you roll 2 natural 20's then confirm the crit, its an instant kill, this campaign, very first roll the dm does? instant kill! it was hilarious. Fortunately he had a fit of coughing so violent the d20 had tipped over just enough to "miss" thereby saving our friend....but it was close!
Optional rule from the DMG, I believe.

zlorf

First Post
Actually we used to play the alternative rule that a 20, would give you +10 to attack and a 1 would give -10 to attack. But with all the bonuses it never seems to miss anyways.

And yes Ranged attacks as well... :)

VonRichthofen said:
So you play by D&D rules. Congratulations. ;) (apart from the "melee only" part, that is!)

Apart from that, a double 20 is a crit, no matter the AC. Happens once every 400 times, shouldn't be that bad.

Remove ads