• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Backing up the CB Classic

davidthegnome

First Post
I just went into D:\Program Files (x86)\Wizards of the Coast and copied the character builder folder. Pasted the folder onto an external hard drive and then was able to run the CharacterBuilder.exe with no problems.

This should also work for adventure tools.

I was looking around for the update files, but couldn't find them. From what I have seen their naming conventions for them are not consistent, one might be 700_DDI_CB.exe and another Character_Builder_Update_Apr_2010.exe.

Last edited:

Scribble

First Post
I just went into D:program Files (x86)Wizards of the Coast and copied the character builder folder. Pasted the folder onto an external hard drive and then was able to run the CharacterBuilder.exe with no problems.

This should also work for adventure tools.

I was looking around for the update files, but couldn't find them. From what I have seen their naming conventions for them are not consistent, one might be 700_DDI_CB.exe and another Character_Builder_Update_Apr_2010.exe.

The issue I think you might run into here is the registry file will be different on a full install, so it will throw things off.

Try running it from a portable drive on a different computer- it wont work.

i DO wonder though what would happen if you used the install to do a clean install of the program on another computer, then replaced the folder it's housed in with the one from your old install?

Riley

Legend
Supporter
i DO wonder though what would happen if you used the install to do a clean install of the program on another computer, then replaced the folder it's housed in with the one from your old install?

Good thought. If someone tries it, can they report back on their results?

I'm thinking about rebuilding my system from scratch, but I'd hate to lose my [now-apparently-legally-irreplaceable] Character Builder.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
your probably just best off getting it in one of the not legal ways, becuase anythig you do to rip it from your computer to back it up is in the same legal grounds.

Henry

Autoexreginated
One free way would be with VMWare Server and a P to V program like VMWare Converter, and just make a clone of your existing machine, but that might be a bit overkill and a bit beyond the capabilities of a short forum post to explain how. :)

Alan Shutko

Explorer
your probably just best off getting it in one of the not legal ways, becuase anythig you do to rip it from your computer to back it up is in the same legal grounds.
That's not exactly true. You have a right to backup your purchases, as an exception to copyright. (Unless there is DRM code there to prevent it, which is not the case here. If there were, you'd run afoul of the DMCA.)

You don't have the right to get the content from someone else, nor do they have the right to give it to you.

davidthegnome

First Post
The issue I think you might run into here is the registry file will be different on a full install, so it will throw things off.

Try running it from a portable drive on a different computer- it wont work.

This is not always a problem. So far as I remember I never had character builder on this laptop. Someone could try it though... I would, but I am not going to re-image a machine just to test this.

Also, there is the option of using a program to make character builder a portable application.

Here or here.

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
That's not exactly true. You have a right to backup your purchases, as an exception to copyright.
I think that depends on what you actually purchased. In the case of software you're typically only purchasing a license to use the software rather than the software itself.

If you no longer have a valid license you have to deinstall the software and destroy any (backup) copies.

denzoner

Explorer
I'm really curious about this too. I don't have another PC to try, but it might be as easy as copying the files, replicating the file structure, and importing the proper registry files.

I'm really curious why CB2 allows you to export to .dnd4e files (I read that somewhere) in the first place when CB1 and the sheet viewer (which never worked properly for me) is the only app that allows you to view those files.

Mercurius

Legend
Has anyone figured this out? My version is a bit different: I just got a spiffy new laptop and want to port the Character Builder over from my old one. Is this at all possible? My old laptop is still usable, and I suppose I could keep it around as my "Character Builder Laptop," but I'd rather have it on my new rig. Any ideas?

I realize that there are "other ways" to go about this, but that is a bit of a hassle in that I think I'd have to download the original CB plus every update, or maybe just one later update? (Not sure if they're all folded in). Of course I would never ever ever do such a thing, but hypothetically speaking, of course... :p

Remove ads