D&D General Backstories: good, bad or whatever?

velkymx

Explorer
I was recently blogging about a shift from pre-written backstories to collaborative storytelling within the campaign itself. I've been pondering the role of backstories lately, mostly how characters evolve through encounters/adventuring. The idea of crafting a shared backstory as a group really resonated with me, potentially leading to richer and more organic character development as the group rather than the personal essay on the characters before the game begins. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts and perspectives.

For example: The Fighter's bravery earns them the title "Dragonslayer" (despite facing no actual dragons). The Rogue's cunning leads to rumors of their Robin Hood-esque exploits, "redistributing wealth" from the goblins. The Cleric's brush with ancient magic sparks their curiosity, hinting at a larger destiny.

For those curious, the blog post delves deeper into this concept and offers practical suggestions.
Here's the link if you'd like to check it out:Forget the Backstory, Forge Your Legend Together

Last edited:

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
I like the idea of characters being linked in various ways at character creation, I think it was from the system that ?Titanfall? used... Fantasy AGE I want to say? But I was never satisfied with what was there so I never imported it into my own games. I wonder if there's something out there that does what I want?

ANYWAY, backstories? I don't love them- I don't have the patience to read through 3 pages of what your character did before the game (most people aren't good writers) and even if I did (and have), I wouldn't remember it. I remember (most of) the stuff that happens in the game. That's what I can go back to, reference, incorporate, etc.

Your backstory, background, is what you did before the important stuff- the adventure we're playing now. Your background gives you some skills- if a player wants to say "oh hey can this farming town that we just strolled into be my hometown?" That's great and I'll give them some extra info/contacts etc. Maybe now that we're playing, and it's been linked to something already going on, I can roll with and incorporate them better.

But a story about how you were a warlord, or a sailor, and you went on all these cool adventures, or you and your brother summoned a demon to save your mom and had all this interesting stuff happen before the game started... I'm just not going to click with it.

OK... I just went on a tangent. Or rant. I'll check out your blog post!

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
OK I gave it a read- it's a fun tale you spin! I don't quite see how this has anything to do with backstories- usually players write backstories without my asking.* I like the idea of the characters/players sharing their tale in the tavern after they've returned, and getting some fame out of it... but the players have to want to engage with this idea. I guess they might appreciate free drinks, or blacksmith repairs (if repairs are a normal thing in the system you're playing).

For most players* to engage with something like this, it needs mechanical backing. Benefits. That "Dragonslayer" title comes with a minor passive bonus, or maybe the first time that character makes a save vs. Dragon Fear they get a bonus- or even better, if they PASS they're under the mechanical effect of Bless vs the dragon, and if they FAIL then their illusions of heroism have been shattered and they have penalties on further saves vs the fear.

That's a fun subsystem idea, a mounting reputation bonus/failure thing. Fake-it-til-you-make-it and if you fail.. then you come tumbling down :LOL:

*From my experience

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I was recently blogging about a shift from pre-written backstories to collaborative storytelling within the campaign itself. I've been pondering the role of backstories lately, mostly how characters evolve through encounters/adventuring. The idea of crafting a shared backstory as a group really resonated with me, potentially leading to richer and more organic character development as the group rather than the personal essay on the characters before the game begins. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts and perspectives.

For example: The Fighter's bravery earns them the title "Dragonslayer" (despite facing no actual dragons). The Rogue's cunning leads to rumors of their Robin Hood-esque exploits, "redistributing wealth" from the goblins. The Cleric's brush with ancient magic sparks their curiosity, hinting at a larger destiny.

For those curious, the blog post delves deeper into this concept and offers practical suggestions.
Here's the link if you'd like to check it out:Forget the Backstory, Forge Your Legend Together

I've always enjoyed writing my own character's backstory if the DM has either given us a sketch of the world or asked us to contribute something. I'm also always happy to have players bounce backstory ideas off of me when I'm running the campaign.

I think I would agree with what seems to be some of the spirit of your post that written backstory doesn't mean anything if your character doesn't live it -- and that it is definitely secondary to what happens at the table. Whether pre-made backstory is needed at all kind of feels like it depends on if it is zero-to-hero (so not), or supposedly already starting off competent or maybe even known (feels like something must have happened already).

The idea of crafting a shared backstory as a group really resonated with me, potentially leading to richer and more organic character development as the group rather than the personal essay on the characters before the game begins. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts and perspectives.

Shared backstory is what happens when you start at level 1 and play all the way through.

If I'm going to get together with friends to play an RPG, I'd prefer to just play the story rather than devise some new storytelling system.

I personally prefer having characters defined only very roughly - a few general traits + connections between characters in the group - at the beginning of the game and their personality and story being shaped through play, but generally I'm fine either way.

What is IMO important with pre-written backstories is:
a) the key points need to be communicated to the GM (or others in the group) in concise way - writing pages of backstory because you enjoy it is perfectly fine, but there should be a one or two paragraph summary with the key points.
b) at the end, a fresh character is still is (typically) still a level 1 character, so the story needs to reflect that their greatest adventures are yet to happen - anything else needs discussion and consensus in the group to start at a higher level to reflect previous experience

Side note: your page seems to automatically translate the page by default - maybe you want to consider making this optional. It took me a bit until I figured out how to switch it to English.

velkymx

Explorer
The idea of heroes being forged through gameplay resonates with me. Maybe that's why I enjoy starting characters at level zero. It emphasizes the transformation of ordinary people into adventurers.

Additionally, in a lethal game, spending a lot of time crafting a detailed backstory can feel pointless if your character might not even survive the first session. I remember an interview where someone mentioned bringing a stack of D&D character sheets to games, expecting casualties!

velkymx

Explorer
I personally prefer having characters defined only very roughly - a few general traits + connections between characters in the group - at the beginning of the game and their personality and story being shaped through play, but generally I'm fine either way.

What is IMO important with pre-written backstories is:
a) the key points need to be communicated to the GM (or others in the group) in concise way - writing pages of backstory because you enjoy it is perfectly fine, but there should be a one or two paragraph summary with the key points.
b) at the end, a fresh character is still is (typically) still a level 1 character, so the story needs to reflect that their greatest adventures are yet to happen - anything else needs discussion and consensus in the group to start at a higher level to reflect previous experience

Side note: your page seems to automatically translate the page by default - maybe you want to consider making this optional. It took me a bit until I figured out how to switch it to English.
What language did you get by default?

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I'm not a fan of character stories. I know... shock horror. They are nice for the player to have something to build upon for their character but for the most part, they are difficult to slot into a campaign especially one pre-written or published. Plus, you can't just do it for one player, it has to be all of them who wrote a back story. Better to just have them as a basis for the grounding of a character.

Remove ads