D&D General Backstories: good, bad or whatever?

The idea of heroes being forged through gameplay resonates with me. Maybe that's why I enjoy starting characters at level zero. It emphasizes the transformation of ordinary people into adventurers.

Additionally, in a lethal game, spending a lot of time crafting a detailed backstory can feel pointless if your character might not even survive the first session. I remember an interview where someone mentioned bringing a stack of D&D character sheets to games, expecting casualties!

The flip side is in a game with casualties (or late-addition players) is that adding a leveled PC mid-story requires them to have achieved things akin to the party's current accomplishments.

I will say that IMO even a tier 2 or tier 3 backstory should fit on one sheet of paper and then get fleshed out during the game as it comes to bear. There should be enough vague bits for a GM to easily join it up to their plots but enougn detail to explain feats like fey touched & magic Initiate or odd spell choices like a non-evil bard with Summon Undead.

velkymx

Explorer
I get this. I think adding players later in the game is definitely doable, but I also think they would have a much harder time with the "ownership" or "buyin" of the party and their combined story.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
I was recently blogging about a shift from pre-written backstories to collaborative storytelling within the campaign itself. I've been pondering the role of backstories lately, mostly how characters evolve through encounters/adventuring. The idea of crafting a shared backstory as a group really resonated with me, potentially leading to richer and more organic character development as the group rather than the personal essay on the characters before the game begins. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts and perspectives.

For example: The Fighter's bravery earns them the title "Dragonslayer" (despite facing no actual dragons). The Rogue's cunning leads to rumors of their Robin Hood-esque exploits, "redistributing wealth" from the goblins. The Cleric's brush with ancient magic sparks their curiosity, hinting at a larger destiny.

For those curious, the blog post delves deeper into this concept and offers practical suggestions.
Here's the link if you'd like to check it out:Forget the Backstory, Forge Your Legend Together
I've found that a tip I got worked well. If the player is stumped to have a backstory, write one sentence. '(character name) is a(n) (adjective) (character race), (character class) who wants (noun).' That's usually plenty.

nyvinter

Adventurer
Speaking as a GM: I want player characters to have connections to the world, to NPCs, to locations, and possibly to events if you want. And I want it to be brief. We'll discover more as it goes along.

Characters who have not ties to anything takes so much work to get going in the campaigns and if you can't do the minimum, then why should the rest of us?

Speaking as a GM: I want player characters to have connections to the world, to NPCs, to locations, and possibly to events if you want. And I want it to be brief. We'll discover more as it goes along.
One of my fellow players has it where all of his characters are from the same family. The character he's currently playing is the grandfather of a character he played in a previous adventure.

Remove ads