• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bad guys have brains, too!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Blue dragon. Actually disguised as black dragon to confuse the PC's.

A blue dragon in BLACKFACE? That's RACIST!

;)

That's actually a pretty good little stunt. How did they react when the "black" dragon started spitting lightning? (Especially if someone started off casting spells to resist Acid...)

Madeiner

First Post
Well actually the dragon was from pathfinder, so it had other utilities, for example conjuring a sandstorm in the desert, obfuscating all sight :p That's worse than lightning or acid!

Trance-Zg

First Post
I always love to put NPC with class levels to spice up play from simple tank and spank style.

5 lvl8 PCs wander in 3 lvl6 NPCs ambush = very fun encounter.

jcbdragon

First Post
For less powerful creatures, I remember once that my first DM threw a horde of Orcs at us. Now, don't get me wrong, we thought we were going to step in, Fireball, and walk away... but that didn't quite work out as planned.
None of them had weapons. They merely swarmed over us, pinned us to the floor, and knocked us unconcious from repeated blows to the head.

With no spell components, no weapons, no armour, and no items, our company of 6th-8th level characters were effectively useless for quite some time in that campaign.

Love it!

One of our other DMs did something similar at one point, throwing a mass of goblins against a group of Lvl 7-9 PCs. The goblins all had bows and slings, and weren't even trying to target specific PCs with them -- they just did mass firings into the crowd, seige-warfare style. These PCs thought they were beyond the point where goblins could be a threat to them. Boy, did they find out otherwise!

Remove ads