Bag of Holding, how to make it last?

Raiker

First Post
We just got a Bag of holding (the lesser one 15lb of weight that carries up to 250Lb).
Our DM told us that if we store anything piercing "say an unsheated dagger" the bag rips and is lost and of course normal damage can tear it (as with any item).
Aside from the typical "Portable hole, Rope trick, etc", are there other ways to "lose" a bag of holding?

How can we protect something like an Axe from damaging the bag?
any other "tip" regarding the almighty bag is welcome.
Since the DM doesn't like the idea of our party having magic items and the like, he always plays by the ol' "when in doubt, harm the player", we always end up losing our stuff. Well i can't blame him, after all we ARE playing Temple of Elemental Evil, we ARE supposed to lose the stuff and all that.

Last edited:

Jack Simth

First Post
Get sheaths. Simple leather devices that keep the blade portion of a weapon from being able to cut anything. They aren't spelled out separately, but gernerally, weapons come with them.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Do not stuff you shapechaged druid into the bag.
1. he will run out of air and die.
2. In dying he will probably gain weight (If he was already a bear he would not have been stuck in the bag to begin with.
3. dramatically overloading the bag will cause a rip.
4. this will piss off other druids.

Raiker

First Post
hehehe, we plan to stuff the bodies of our enemies inside the bag (the moment we get a better bag of course) e i know of sheaths thats why i mentioned "unsheated dagger", i was refering to things i don't se having a sheath like an axe (which, i think, would be able to rip the bag)

Jack Simth

First Post
You can get a sheath for an axe - it's simple leather, built pretty much the same way, with a strap and some form of fastener to keep it on.

Raiker

First Post
perfect, that that means i can take both my +1 Large Trident and my Masterworks Large GreatAxe to the Temple, and choose the correct one for every battle. sweet.

Jack Simth

First Post
There's a few catches to that:

1) It can take a while to properly sheath and unsheath a weapon, especially those that are more complex (such as a trident)
2) If your DM doesn't assume sheathes in the price of weapons, then you will need to pay for them (and note that, as it isn't listed as a separate item, your DM fiats the price)

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
Feh.

As a DM, I never worry about weapons in bags of holding. I think there are better things I could be doing with that time...

Dingleberry

First Post
You might also check with your DM to see how large the opening is. IMC, it's about the size of a standard pillowcase, so if you can't fit an object through that, it can't go in the bag.

Remove ads