Bag of Holding, how to make it last?

pbd

First Post
You can wlays bring some elather and twine to ue to cover miscelaneaous items you find. I play and archer with a hewrds haversack, he keeps about 160 extra arrows in it, wrapped in hide to proteect the bag.

ARandomGod

First Post
rushlight said:
Feh.

As a DM, I never worry about weapons in bags of holding. I think there are better things I could be doing with that time...

And really there's no reason why a simple unsheathed dagger (or blade) would cause the bag to explode. Certainly if the bag were intentionally cut from the inside the bag would rip open, that's there on purpose (so that when you put the druid in and he shapechanges into something with claws he can rip his way out, no doubt).

But a sharp edge just reacts with the bag magically to make it explode? That's a little far-fetched (Note: GM's can, of course, make up any far-fetched or ridiculous rules that they want. This one is commonly made, IMO mainly because they don't really think about it, however).

Think of the way a bag of holding works. We'll use the lesser one you got for applicability
" (the lesser one 15lb of weight that carries up to 250Lb)."

It weight's 15 lbs no matter how much you put inside it. And it's an extradimensional space. To me that means that the weight of the items in the bag don't matter (other than having a max of 250). The bag is made out of cloth. The type doesn't matter, let's assume canvas. I personally can put a very sharp sword into a canvas bag without ripping the bag. I could also chose to thrust the sword through the bag from either outside or inside, but unless I'm doing that conciously the bag is going to remain intact. Now, if I lift the bag, there are some other considerations. A pretty sharp sword will be affected by gravity, it's weight will press down on the bag, and if I'm holding the bag such that the weight of the sword focuses on the tip that bag will indeed rip open. There are other ways you could hold the bad carefully so as to not have it rip. Of course, this is not the case with a Bag of Holding. That sword is held in *elsewhere*. The gravity and positioning and handling of the outer bag isn't going to affect the inertia and weight of the sword, causing an inadvertant rip.

Under that logic, placing a sharp object in the sack will not cause it to rip or be punctured, only concious effort will do that.

Now, under the logic where it WILL rip open, you have to look at what constitutes "sharp". Once again, assume a canvas bag (pretty sturdy). Let's say you put a wooden box in the bag (Or, for visualization, say cardboard, in spite of the fact that it's unlikely cardboard will exist in the same realm as a bag of holding). Now fill that box with lead, around 245 lbs worth of lead (that's not actually a LOT, and pretty easily done. Lead is heavy). Alternatively you could fill it with gold (more likely that a PC will do this, but also more expensive).

If you then pick up that bag, a wooden (or even cardboard) box with edges no sharper than your pinky finger will push right through the bag. Just as much as a 4 lb sword will anyhow.

ARandomGod

First Post
sukael said:
Get a big bag of very tough leather. Put things in that bag. Then put that bag inside the bag of holding.

Ha! Best Workaround EVAR!

I'ma gonna use that in the future for if/when people don't like my common sense reason why simply putting a dagger in the bag won't cause either a rip in the time-space continuum OR unbalancing of the game system as we know it, causing gods and demons alike to attack the creature attempting to do so.

Bad Paper

First Post
Raiker said:
that that means i can take both my +1 Large Trident and my Masterworks Large GreatAxe to the Temple, and choose the correct one for every battle
...or at least be gloriously slain while messing with your toys

Raiker

First Post
again, our DM really likes to make our stuff disapear (for example any new char we make due to character death has to be made with only masterwork items, No magical no nothing, even if the dead PC had a +5 vorpal rapier). I suspect that the adventure itself tells the DM to do that, but in any case that's why we want to be on the safe side of the bag!

Last edited:

Remove ads