• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bag of Holding Q

Mordane76

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
IMHO a vanilla 2500 gp magic item should not be able to safely store or permanently dispose of evil magic items. Does anyone share this intuition? Anyone have an explanation why a bag of holding could not be used as an artifact storage/disposal system?

Well, because artifacts generally have only a few, unique unknown means of destruction. If they try to do something to it that doesn't destroy it, then... it shows up where you want it to.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Or it will just get angry and produce a lot of wraiths.

(Btw Mord, I was thinking the same thing. Portable Wraith Cannons! ;) )

Mordane76

First Post
Nightfall said:
(Btw Mord, I was thinking the same thing. Portable Wraith Cannons! ;) )

The only questions are... how do you effectively aim it, what's the range, and how to end the effect (you've just let out a bunch of wraiths)? :D

Nightfall

I'd say it work well at what is consider short range for a spell. Do it as either a spread or a ray effect. Aiming it effectively...is just plain hard. Just make sure you put it out in front of you. As to ending the effect after 1d4 rounds the Caster must make a Fortitude save or have the thing explode on him, causing massive energy and ability drains. If he succeeds, then he just shuts it. The DC is 10+1/2 the HD or the class level of the creature in the effect. Cause another by product of this, the caster gains temporary HP for every 3 levels drained and gains temporary increase in Str for every point of Str gained.

kirinke

First Post
huh.
a sphere of anilation should destroy the bloody thing. that is if they wanna get rid of it. oh. don't put the bag of holding in at the same time. or bad things happen.

Mordane76

First Post
kirinke said:
huh.
a sphere of anilation should destroy the bloody thing. that is if they wanna get rid of it. oh. don't put the bag of holding in at the same time. or bad things happen.

I know a sphere of annhilation is an powerful artifact unto itself, but I still don't think this should work. In the case of other artifacts contacting a sphere, I would say that, depending on the power and importance of the artifact to the story, this scenario should be met with varying results. Powerful, yet not unique magical items that people just don't know how to make anymore, like the staves of the magi, should probably be destroyed by a sphere of annhilation. More unique and inspired artifacts, like the Machine of Lum the Mad from 2E, should probably cause some planar catasphore if brought into contact with a SoA. Others might simply use the SoA as a doorway to some other location, or simply reform in some random or home location if "destroyed" by a SoA. But I think it would be ill-advised to allow a SoA to be used as a 'garbage can' for powerful artifacts, because then characters only need to make it to the sphere once, and if the take control of the location (maybe build a homebase at the location of the SoA), or just simply know the location of the SoA, then we have a situation where almost any challenge could be met with "Teleport In, Grab, Teleport Out, Pitch it into the SoA." This sort of thing is one of the reasons why I think artifacts should have specific means of destruction, other than the thrill of the quest to destroy them.

Last edited:

kirinke

First Post
i agree

i agree. still just putting out ideas on possible destructions....
heheh...
just take it to your friendly neighborhood galactic garbage dump. oh. you have to get by the critters guarding it.....

WARPED1

First Post
I remember this one game where we trapped a vampire in a portable hole. Then, one night, we opened the hole and frisbee tossed it into a halfling village. We left until day break to a halfling village of vampires now!

Nightfall

Still think my wraith cannon rawks! :) But tossing in an entire halfling village is wrong man! :p :)

As for destroying the artifacts, just tossing it into a sphere of anhilliation doesn't always work.

Remove ads