• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bahamut Baphomet

EvilMountainDew

First Post
I have only know the latter of these (Baphomet) as pronounced, Buh-hah-met, but thought it spelled as Baphomet.

I have seen around the IC forums it spelled 'Bahamut' is this a different being, just different spellling, different spelling because of different language???

Just wondering, I don't want to upset anyone's theological way of thinking, but I want to be clear so I don't misinterpret things said.

drnuncheon

Explorer
MDaddict said:
I have only know the latter of these (Baphomet) as pronounced, Buh-hah-met, but thought it spelled as Baphomet.

I have seen around the IC forums it spelled 'Bahamut' is this a different being, just different spellling, different spelling because of different language???

Just wondering, I don't want to upset anyone's theological way of thinking, but I want to be clear so I don't misinterpret things said.

Well, the pronunciations I've been able to find for Baphomet all agree that it's BAF, with the F pronounced. They disagree whether its BAF-uh-met or BAF-uh-mey though. Either way, he's the idol/demon/whatever that the Knights Templar were accused of worshiping.

J

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i've heard the real life baphomet pronounced as BAFF-oh-may. whether that is "correct" or not, i dunno. :)

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Re: Re: Bahamut Baphomet

drnuncheon said:

Well, the pronunciations I've been able to find for Baphomet all agree that it's BAF, with the F pronounced. They disagree whether its BAF-uh-met or BAF-uh-mey though. Either way, he's the idol/demon/whatever that the Knights Templar were accused of worshiping.

J

Yeah, though there is some speculation that it was in fact the Shroud of Turin, folded up so just the head showed.

I was under the impression that Bahamut was just a corruption of "Behemoth" (of the bible name). So it's got a similar name to Baphomet, but is a different sort of thing (giant fish apparently). I think Gary Gygax just liked the name and thought it would make a good counterpart to Tiamat.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I always pronounced them thusly:

Bahamut: Baw-HAH-mutt

Baphomet: BAH-foe-met

Very distinctive and separate.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads