• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Balanced PrCs and underpowered PrCs.

Mr. Kaze

First Post
The ones that come to my mind are as follows:

Arcane Trickster -- Give up three levels of spellcasting for rouging or 5 (or more) levels of roguing for 3rd level arcane spells to get this hybrid PrC which seems most useful for stacking entirely too much sneak attack damage on Scorching Ray. This isn't bad if the party already has a rogue (and probably an arcane caster), but talk about making yourself a secondary character...

Bear Warrior (from OA or Complete Warrior) -- Required BAB of +7 so you can turn into a black bear at level 1. At level 3 you get scent. And so on, with a new benefit which may or may not be worth a whole heck of a lot every two to three levels. Frankly, the only reason I'd want this PrC is to give a fighter shapshifting ability so they qualify for Warshaper that makes them immune to critical hits, gives them an extra 5' reach, adds +4 str and con and gives them fast healing 2 all in 4 levels. Might go back for the scent after that if I'm running out of things to do, but really -- the Bear Warrior just doesn't compare.

Blackguard -- The lameness of the Blackguard class is my primary complaint against Paladins, really: How can it be so easy to be reasonably nice and cool when you have to work so hard to be evil and lame? The feats of Power Attack and Cleave aren't unreasonable, but most players shy away from using Sunder for fear of hurting their loot. And then there's that skill requirement of "Hide 5 Ranks" -- like a guy wearing full plate getting pumped up to power attack right through some poor heroic schmuck's gear is going to be trying to hide while they do it. Heck no! Hiding is for assassins -- Blackguards should be out intimidating people!

Elocator -- Looks great on paper, along the lines of a psionic rogue/ranger; lots of skills and good second-string melee ability. But the "must manifest 1st level powers" crimps the classes that can play so that you're using one of the classes that have little-to-nothing to do with being rogue/ranger sort of character as an important part of the character build (and taking yet another BAB penalty). Now if assassins were psionic instead of arcane casters, then we might have something...

Cerebramancer -- This is just a waste. Why not just create an Arcanomancer class that requires characters to both prepare and spontaneously cast 2nd level arcane spells to join? Mystic Theurge is nice because it really does cover a huge spread of abilities -- but this? This is silly.

::Kaze (the opinionated)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Outside of Core?

Penumbral Lord is WEAK. Weak, weak, weak. Lady of Serpents, now there's balanced! ;) Or Blood Sea Pirate!

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

The Morninglord of Lathander has a few underpowered abilities. The 8th level Blessing of the Dawn ability useable once a tenday bestows an extremely weak benefit not even equivalent to what the Morninglord could cast. The 10th level ability granting the equivalent of Darkvision in color was rather underpowered. Considering that the Morninglord is in the same book as the Eye of Horus-re you would think they would have been closer in power. The Eye was overpowered, and the Morninglord was underpowered.

Turanil

First Post
Blackguard -- The lameness of the Blackguard class is my primary complaint against Paladins, really: How can it be so easy to be reasonably nice and cool when you have to work so hard to be evil and lame? The feats of Power Attack and Cleave aren't unreasonable, but most players shy away from using Sunder for fear of hurting their loot. And then there's that skill requirement of "Hide 5 Ranks" -- like a guy wearing full plate getting pumped up to power attack right through some poor heroic schmuck's gear is going to be trying to hide while they do it. Heck no! Hiding is for assassins -- Blackguards should be out intimidating people!

Plus the Blackguard's spells are not very useful. Well, maybe it's time to rewrite the Blackguard (as has been rewritten the Sorcerer) here on Enworld?

Psion

Adventurer
Turanil said:
Plus the Blackguard's spells are not very useful. Well, maybe it's time to rewrite the Blackguard (as has been rewritten the Sorcerer) here on Enworld?

Or pick up the unholy warrior's handbook or book of fiends and use that instead. ;)

Basically, I like my PrCs balanced high. I don't use blatently broken PrCs, but I do want my PrCs to be prestigious.

So, all prcs that don't match the floowing, therabouts, are weak in my eyes:

Fist of Raziel
Celestial Mystic
Illithid slayer

<Can't think of more right now, don't want to look through my books to find them>

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads