D&D 3E/3.5 Balancing encounters from 1/2e to 3e?

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Just a quick question regarding some conversions I'm working on. I know when converting encounters from earlier editions you cannot change the creature (i.e. a blue dragon changed to a green) but can you balance the encounter?

For example: say there is an encounter with 2 dragons (1 old, 1 ancient) in a first edition adventure. ;) There is no way a party of the level intended for the adventure can survive the encounter as written in 3e - so is it permissible to balance the encounter so that it works in 3e? (Take out one dragon, reduce the age categories of the dragons, etc.).

Additionally, what about treasure? Some of the hoards in the earlier modules will make a party way too powerful too fast in 3e. Is it permissible to balance out the treasure recieved to match the EL of the encounter??

I'd like to post them to the conversion library so I want to make sure I followed all the rules...

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
VorpalBunny said:
Just a quick question regarding some conversions I'm working on. I know when converting encounters from earlier editions you cannot change the creature (i.e. a blue dragon changed to a green) but can you balance the encounter?

For example: say there is an encounter with 2 dragons (1 old, 1 ancient) in a first edition adventure. ;) There is no way a party of the level intended for the adventure can survive the encounter as written in 3e - so is it permissible to balance the encounter so that it works in 3e? (Take out one dragon, reduce the age categories of the dragons, etc.).

Additionally, what about treasure? Some of the hoards in the earlier modules will make a party way too powerful too fast in 3e. Is it permissible to balance out the treasure recieved to match the EL of the encounter??

I'd like to post them to the conversion library so I want to make sure I followed all the rules...

your job is not to balance the module, your job is to convert said creatures into 3e stats and scores. Flexibility is left up to the DM.

That being said you can leave a note in the conversion notes stating "This is a really too powerful and DM's be warned!"

Remove ads