Balancing the system for broke PCs

Arkhandus

First Post
Now that you've been more specific..... Iron Heroes is for you, not D&D. You can use some D&D monsters, and even a few D&D spellcasting clases (just tweaked for Iron Heroes) if you want to, but what you're going for is not D&D with lower magic, it's D&D with rare, epic magic. If you're doing that, then you may as well be using only an occasional minor magic item or minor artifact. Use Iron Heroes and leave magic as something only priests of rare power and purity, and sorcerers who've committed unspeakable acts, ever manage to produce and only at great expense. Not something a PC would ever be capable of making, or finding except on rare occasions and even then only by prying it from the cold, dead hands of a frost giant jarl, or ancient red dragon, or balor, etc.

Lord of the Rings, its ilk, and classic legends, are definitely not what you're after.

Nearly every member of the Fellowship had one or more magic items, some of them even had several unique or potent magic items. Gandalf had his magic sword, his stave, the Ring of Fire, and such, though I've forgotten the specific names of them (think his elven sword was Glamdring? Or was it Nairsil? Fairly sure the Ring of Fire also had an elven name, which I've forgotten. Can't remember for sure but I think Gandalf may even have been carrying another one of the rings of power, in addition to the fire-magic ring?). Frodo had Sting, which in D&D would've been a +1 or +3 Keen Orc Bane Dagger most likely (but in the hands of a hobbit/halfling, it served as a short sword), along with the One Ring, and his cloak (Cloaks of Elvenkind in D&D equivalence, though more potent in LotR), and elven chainmail (Elven Chain in D&D, though I forget if there was any indication in the book or movies as to whether or not they may've been enchanted), plus the elven trail bread (which was most likely magical as well as made from rare ingrediants).

Even lesser members of the Fellowship had a couple of masterwork mithral items and, I think, minor magic items.

The Norse deities and heroes were always getting unique magic items crafted for them (or stolen by them) from masterful dwarven craftsmen, or other sources.

Etc.

AbeTheGnome

First Post
does Iron Heroes give CR conversion charts for various MM monsters and other encounters? i know a little bit about the token system. from what i understand, it works somewhat like action points, where the tokens allow PCs to perform feats?

monboesen

Explorer
does Iron Heroes give CR conversion charts for various MM monsters and other encounters?

One of the beauties of Iron Heroes is that you don't need any conversion of monsters. You can use D&D monsters as they are. Just remember that players may have more difficulties with flying and in particular incorpereal monsters.

i know a little bit about the token system. from what i understand, it works somewhat like action points, where the tokens allow PCs to perform feats?

That is a fair description of the system, with the added complexity that it often takes actions to gain tokens. So it gets to a choise between full round actions or token gathering for the big blows/cool actions.

If you head over here

http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?malhavoc

and rummage around a bit you can find plenty tidbits and previews (though now postviews) of Iron heroes. If you are heading that way be sure to check out the message board too.

Hope it is useful for you.

Remove ads