• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Baldurs Gate 3 apparently in development (with evidence)

I don't expect it to be released for at least six months.

Six months (November 2019) does seem like a likely target launch window to tie in with Decent and Christmas. But add another six months to that because computer games always slip (or launch bug-ridden).

But that would mean the finance would have to have been sorted out early 2018 at the latest. So, unless someone has Kickstarted a time machine, it (KS) didn't happen.

Six months (November 2019) does seem like a likely target launch window to tie in with Decent and Christmas. But add another six months to that because computer games always slip (or launch bug-ridden).

But that would mean the finance would have to have been sorted out early 2018 at the latest. So, unless someone has Kickstarted a time machine, it (KS) didn't happen.

Plenty of developers have ran kickstarters fund the final stretch of a game that's already been in development for a good while. The original Divinity: Original Sin kickstarter was like that. The game would have been made regardless of the result of the kickstarter, but the $1 million+ Lairian raised on KS let them add a lot more polish to the final product.

Plenty of developers have ran kickstarters fund the final stretch of a game that's already been in development for a good while. The original Divinity: Original Sin kickstarter was like that. The game would have been made regardless of the result of the kickstarter, but the $1 million+ Lairian raised on KS let them add a lot more polish to the final product.

I included that as an original assumption. Even assuming two years preliminary work you would still need over twelve months between finance and launch. Six months out from launch a game would have to be well into crunch, with a lot of the money not just raised, but spent.

It's likely Lairian where awarded the contract shortly after DoS2 was a hit, late in 2017, but with a lot of the preliminary work already done when they took it to WotC. I suspect they got a fair chunk of funding directly from Hasbro (in exchange for a high level of creative control).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I included that as an original assumption. Even assuming two years preliminary work you would still need over twelve months between finance and launch. Six months out from launch a game would have to be well into crunch, with a lot of the money not just raised, but spent.

It's likely Lairian where awarded the contract shortly after DoS2 was a hit, late in 2017, but with a lot of the preliminary work already done when they took it to WotC. I suspect they got a fair chunk of funding directly from Hasbro (in exchange for a high level of creative control).

Hasbro doesn't fund video games, they charge for the IP: every D&D game made in recent times did not receive a dime from WotC, but paid WotC to be D&D.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads