D&D 5E Baldur's Gate 3 Weapon Actions converted to Tabletop

FallenRX

Adventurer
Weapon Actions Variant

Here you all go, there have been some changes to make it better fit the TTRPG, such as making it PB per short rest in a unified pool, instead of tying the cooldown to each action itself, using some existing conditions instead of making up new ones, and simplifying the DC system.

But it is pretty much an accurate and pretty balanced version of all of the Weapon Actions from BG3, you can use them exactly how you would in the game, or do what you please with them.

Check it out.

Pair this with 10-minute twice-per-day short rests, and pushing as a bonus action, you can get your 5e game to feel very similar to BG3.

Reynard

Legend
I like it! It works especially well if you incorporate previous edition initiative rules, because a lot of these effects are about setting up failed saves and other synergies with party members and you don't want to end up wasting them due to bad turn order. Let PCs reset initiative or do side initiative or at least make "ready" less onerous.

Scribe

Legend
oh yeah GIF

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
XP for putting the work in! As DM, I would probably narrate most of these actions as the situation demands. Very interesting that Larian would include non-D&D mechanisms in a game designed to look like D&D on a screen. Which makes me wonder . . . do they know something about 6e that we don't?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
XP for putting the work in! As DM, I would probably narrate most of these actions as the situation demands. Very interesting that Larian would include non-D&D mechanisms in a game designed to look like D&D on a screen. Which makes me wonder . . . do they know something about 6e that we don't?
It's probably more a matter of "translating this TTRPG to a video game does not need to be 100% exact when there are minor 'houserules' that can make it a lot more fun".

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Well, we know WotC worked with Larian at least somewhat during development of the game. It’s quite possible that weapon actions were an early version of what would become weapon masteries; or perhaps Larian’s interpretation thereof. On the other hand, it could have been a thing they added on their own, just to give non-casters more things to do in a video game context where improvised actions aren’t really an option.

CapnZapp

Legend
I would love to have BG3 lessons imported to D&D. However, with the impending release of D&D 2024 I think these will fall through the cracks. Not useful to implement now, and probably forgotten next year.

Remove ads