Baldur's Gate - Something Is Coming

Kaodi

Hero
You know, it could be a remake, or a sequel. Think about it. The time is nigh for all eras of the Forgotten Realms to exist in parallel. Baldur's Gate could very well be the vanguard of that new paradigm.

Nagol

Unimportant
Since we're on the topic, does anyone know if the Baldur's Gates games (or PS:T) work on Windows 7?

Banshee

GoG.com packages old games with DosBox tweaked to work passably well or better on new O/Ses.

If you don't have/can't find your old media and/or don't want to futz with DosBox directly, they are a good option.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Or, since BioWare owns the rights to Baldur's Gate and is trying desperately hard not to give it up, this could be a shot at re-branding in order to retain copyright/royalty/publishing rights. Business law doesn't state a product has to be profitable to be protected but it does has to be currently published (ie a working title not a pre-released product) and this would give them 15 more years to play with it. (Again, merely conjecture, but a possibility; one garnered from similar stuff that happens in the music industry to retain publishing rights, something I'm intimately knowledgeable of. :) )

I'm pretty sure if there are any rights at all, it's only to publish the existing product as is. All the world and setting IP rights belong to WoTC--they even own the characters and settings. The Baldur's Gate trademark is currently owned by WoTC according to the USPTO.gov. I think the only thing they can really keep is the actual game engine (Infinity).

I'm sure there are rights they still have, probably to publish the existing game, which is why you can still buy it at GOG and other places, but licenses usually have time limits. (OGL fans like to call this a "poison pill", but this is business as usual for any major licensing agreement).

Thus, if anything is being done with the property, it is likely a simple port, to perhaps either a browser based game, iOS/Android, or some other platform. At best perhaps one that is akin to the Monkey Island special edition, with HiRes graphics. But you're not going to get expansions, sequels, or anything like that. They simply can't produce new adventures in the Forgotten Realms.

Banshee16

First Post
GoG.com packages old games with DosBox tweaked to work passably well or better on new O/Ses.

If you don't have/can't find your old media and/or don't want to futz with DosBox directly, they are a good option.

I actually *do* have my original disks....I never actually finished BG II, because I started PS:T and got addicted....I keep thinking of finishing it, but wasn't sure if it would run.

I think I got to a part relatively late in the game where I have to rescue someone from a den of vampires.

Banshee

Dannager

First Post
The Baldur's Gate website now features a countdown clock set to expire around noon PST tomorrow. The page source easter egg now reads simply, "It is coming."

Dordledum

First Post
18 minutes! psyched as hell. Played almost all pc releases in Forgotten realms since Baldur's Gate 1. Can't wait what this means. BG series was still the best!

Edit - timer just hit 00:00:00 and the server crashed...

Last edited:

Remove ads