Ball 'n Chain

frankthedm

First Post
Link 86 said:
Heavy flail I guess... So I take it there are no spiked balls on a chain in any rule book?
There are some chain likeweapons, though most are lacking. The ways weapon are balanced really make every "trick" a weapon can do 'cost' it something.

The Whip was crippled because of this. I made a chain family of weapons a while back to represent the potential a chain truely has as a weapon. One big thing I felt the whip got right was lexible weapons should not grant extended reach for the porposes for taking AoOs. Thats something I reserve in my own game for polearms. A readied attack with a chain at a distance is fine in my book. A chain allows for more tricks, but the pole offers more control when you have to deal with too many foes.

Chains; A group of weapons consisting of stout chain, Nearly 15 feet long, with varying options at both ends. Each exotic weapon proficency grants a single head combination [Head-Chain-Head]

Attack adjacent foes as a improvised flail or use similar to a whip as an exotic weapon [disarm & trip options]. The chain is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don’t threaten past 5’, much like the whip.

Depending on heads, using as a double weapon and weapon finesse may be an option. The chain itself counts as a light weapon in a grapple. Though two handed, the flexible nature of the chain prevents wielder from applying STR x 1.5 or the 2 for 1 bonus of power attacking with a two handed weapon. Using these weapons in confined spaces spaces is one step more diffcult [See DMG2]

Base Chain 1d6/1d6 x2 crit 12LB 30 GP finesse, ‘light’

Heavy head: 1d8 bludgeoning x3 crit +6 lb, 10gp each. ‘one handed’

Blade head: 1d8 slashing 19-20 crit +4lb, 15 gold each. ‘one handed’

Boulder Head: 2d6 bludgeoning 19-20 crit +20 lbs ‘two handed’ Allows STR x 1.5 damage allows 2 handed power attack output. Requires a standard action to attack past where you threaten. Doesn’t have disarm, dual wield or trip options due to mass..

You've seen these comboes before...
Schoolgirl: Base Head -Chain- Heavy head.
Moria Cave troll: Base head -Chain- Boulder head

Last edited:

Link 86

First Post
Basically I am lookin for a huge ball with spikes on the ball, on an iron chain... Kinda like the picture, but no wood... a bigger ball like the size of a tire, with spikes. No wood, so that means more chain.

Last edited:

Tetsubo

First Post
Link 86 said:
Basically I am lookin for a huge ball with spikes on the ball, on an iron chain... Kinda like the picture, but no wood... a bigger ball like the size of a tire, with spikes. No wood, so that means more chain.

Is the ball hollow? Because if it isn't, no one is going to be able to lift the thing...

Thurbane

First Post
Tetsubo said:
Is the ball hollow? Because if it isn't, no one is going to be able to lift the thing...
Maybe an Enlarged Goliath with Monkeygrip and a Belt of Giant Strength +6 :p

Seriously though, I'd probably use stats for a Huge or Gargantuan heavy flail...

zeb.hillard

First Post
Link 86 said:

The Orcish Shot Put was an Exotic (Orc Familiar) weapon from the Arms and Equipment Guide that did 2d6 damage with a x4 (I believe) critical and that did Buldgeoning damage. You could easily attach a chain and some spikes to it to give it repetitious use and reach...but I would require some serious strength on behalf of the character to use the Orcish Olympic Hammer without penalties.

Remove ads