• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ballistic Damage vs. Damage Reduction

Aesmael

Explorer
Soliciting suggestions for how to handle ballistic damage against D&D foes. Strictly speaking it does not overcome any DR on its own (hence the posting in House Rules) but I am sure if D20 Modern used 3.5 rules the situation would be different.
Anyway, currently I am inclined to rule that it counts as both bludgeoning and piercing, admittedly not very helpful when you are facing zombies. Thoughts? Alternatives?

DanMcS

Explorer
I don't think bullets need a special ruling to penetrate DR. d20 modern bullets do enough to penetrate most any DR. Especially if you're using 3.5-style DRs, which tend to be rather lower than 3.0 DRs.

Kemrain

First Post
Fortunately nothing I know of has DR10/Lead or DR15/Depleted Uranium. Holy ammo, though, I could see.

- Kemrain the Ballistic.

Aesmael

Explorer
That is true (Though lack of a strength bonus might become a pain against the tougher monsters [But perhaps they are meant to be painful? ;) ). And of course Holy, Silver, whatever bullets are to be encouraged but it remains that in 3.5 DR is overcome in many cases by damage type (i.e. Slashing, Piercing, etc.), that Ballistic damage is not included in 3.5, but that if it were (or, had Modern used similar rules for DR) there would have been creatures with DR X/Ballistic.

If I want to implement this into a game my options seem to be:
1) Create new creatures with DR X/Ballistic
2) Change the DR of some creatures to be X/Ballistic
2a) Alternatively, add this as an 'or' entry to DR of some creatures.
3) Rule that Ballistic damage overcomes some other type(s) of DR

Currently I lean towards #3, with Ballistic counting as Bludgeoning & Piercing
Arguments against: This might make firearms far too desirable, especially if it is not difficult to acquire special materials for ammunition (cold iron bullets?), with almost everything but slashing being covered by one weapon.
So, I don't know. Maybe I should just keep going with the simulation and take note of how the alternatives would have affected things. Although again, the only enemies in use with DR overcome by damage type want slashing, so whatever effect I see will be understated.

Seems I am posting a number of threads with the resolution 'sort it out on my own' (Though, responses/advice still welcome!). Sorry about that folks. Seems to help the problem to type it out like this, at least.

Pyrex

First Post
Personally I'd just rule bullets as Piercing damage and be done with it.

How d'you figure bullets do Bludgeoning damage?

Kelleris

Explorer
I'm kinda inclined to say that bullets just don't deal well with DR. It matches with the ineffectuality of most firearms against supernatural creatures in the source material. Unless, of course, you're using bullets made of silver or dipped in holy water or something.

Alternatively, you could reflect the superior penetration of firearms by giving them the ability to penetrate some portion of adamantine DR, say 5 points.

Orichin

First Post
Pyrex: bullets cause soft tissue damage in the area around the wound as well as in the direct path of the bullet, bludgeoning/piercing is valid.

As far as damage reduction due to qualities/materials, I don't see how a magical firearm or ammo (or ammo made with special materials) would be any different from a magical bow/crossbow or arrows/bolts.

Aesmael

Explorer
John Q. Mayhem said:
You'd have to add a line to Skeleton et al DR to say that it still applies vs. ballistic, I think.
I think so too.
Edit - et al? What else do you think that should be applied to?

Kelleris: Interesting and I like it (both paragraphs), though the first is not really suitable for what I am going for. (See this thread). Second suggestion is under consideration.

Orichin: Thanks
Orichin said:
As far as damage reduction due to qualities/materials, I don't see how a magical firearm or ammo (or ammo made with special materials) would be any different from a magical bow/crossbow or arrows/bolts.
Do you mean the materials used to make the ammunition, i.e. other than damage type inflicted by the weapon? If so I am in complete agreement.

Addendum to previous post: Looking through the srds for the expanded Modern material (Menace Manual, that other one whose name I am unsure of), it seems there is indeed some use of typed damage reduction, including at least one fiend with DR/Ballistic. Did not spot any incidences of alignment based DR, but then, D20 Modern doesn't have alignments, does it?

Last edited:

Remove ads