"Ballots & Bullets" (TSR Module BH3) Concluded!

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Eleven, “Afternoon in Tombstone”, Thursday, May 25th, 1882, 11:15 A.M.

As the Stagecoach comes to a stop in Tombstone Kate says, “"We'll have plenty of time to get the horses stabled and get to the train station. Conrad, would you like to meet us there at noon to pick up the buggies?"

Conrad indicates he will initially go off with Chumbley and Angela but will reconnect with Kate at the train station at noon. The diminutive newspaperman is elated with their early arrival, giving him almost three hours to get things taken care of. The three are dropped off in front of the Wells Fargo Office and head off. Kate and Ginnie lead the three horses down to the O.K. Corral to see to getting them fed and boarded for the short term. Chester and Clarisse walk his horse down there as well to be boarded.

Chuck offers to drive Jake and Ruby down to the train depot, as he has to drive to the end of Allen Street anyway to have enough room to turn the stagecoach around. Ruby quickly said goodbye to Kate, Conrad, Ginnie, Chester and Clarisse before they all went running off to opposite directions.

She asks Josie if she will be all right and instructs her to return with Conrad if she can. Ruby informs her that she left a note for Mr. Lacey to gather the names of those who participated in the festival sword fighting, whom he thinks might be good for and interested in doing the play, if she returns to Promise City and wants to keep herself busy. She hugs her friend before she hurries off, hoping she was not about to get bad news.

When they arrive at the Depot they discover that the next train to Tucson leaves at 12:45 P.M., giving them over an hour to go and get a bite to eat. Once at the station Jake and Ruby purchase their train tickets for Tucson. "So," Ruby comments, now wide eyed and excited, "I guess we're officially on vacation. I can't wait to get to Tucson."

"It feels good." When no one is nearby he says quietly, "Did you ever notice Angela's ears? That young lady is not a purebred either. I would say Promise City's newspaper editorials would be decidedly biased. Probably be an angry hornets nest when we get back. Heh, good thing we are going."

"No, why would I look at Angela's ears?" Ruby asks innocently. "Anyway, I haven't looked and don't care who is whole, half, quarter or tiny bit breed of anything." She shrugs. "But you're right. I bet Chumbley is going to have lots of fun voicing his...uh, voice. Annoying as it is. How does such a small guy have such a loud mouth? Now," she presses up against him, "What should we do with our time before we leave? Enjoy a nice casual stay-out-of-trouble lunch? Or go check in with the Earps, like I know you are dying to?"

Jake replies, "You perhaps chose your words carefully. Being anywhere near any Earps could lead to dying. No, I have no desire to be connected to them at this time. Lunch and we are on our way." Ruby jumps up a little and squeals, "Yay! We really are on vacation!" She takes Jake by the hand and drags him to the nearest decent looking place for food. They chat about nothing important as they eat, but also keep their ears open for rumors of the Earp situation.

Just a few minutes before noon the train is seen arriving from the distance. Instead of stopping at the station it goes through to the turnaround and then comes back facing out before the passengers and freight are offloaded. Kate sees a group of ten young men, her two brothers among them, staring out the windows and pointing at the town.

"Look Ginnie, there they are," Kate sang out and hopped off the bench. She waved until Phil spotted her and jammed Henry in the ribs with his elbow. Their eyes got a little wider, taking her in. Kate gave them the same smile and cocked hip she would have wearing a new dress instead of leathers, pulled off her had, and waved again. The train has now come to a complete stop and the passenger door open. Frederick Seagram is among the first passengers out the door and walks quickly towards Kate with his arms outstretched for a hug.

Before he gets to her Phillip rushes by him and hugs her first. "What's this all about, little brother? Did you miss me that much?" she asked, squeezing back and smiling over his shoulder at her father. As the other Seagram exit the train, followed by Pickering and his Students, Frederick calls out "Henry, Mark and Tristin, you three help me to get everybody's luggage. Ah, Mr. Booth, come with me to the Freight Car, I've been babysitting your new transports."

Conrad joins Seagram and the three young men as they go to the baggage and freight cars. The two buggies have been secured in place with the wheels blocked and covered with tarps to prevent them from shifting or being damaged in transit. The conductor calls for two railroad workers to help get the buggies unloaded. Ginnie anxiously watches on.

Chester tells Clarisse, "Let's go to the Grand Hotel and check in. I need to stop by the Marshall's Office, but after that the day is ours. How's that sound?" "Alright, I guess." She wags her finger at him. "But make that meeting short, you hear?" Chester tips his hat. "Yes, Miss Townsend." He kisses her and they check in to the hotel. "Good morning, we'd like two rooms, please. We'd prefer them next to each other." After dropping off his and Clarisse's bags, Chester emerges and walks over to the Marshall's Office.

The Marshall's Office, located on the second floor of the Crystal Palace Saloon building, is locked and dark, as are the Judge's Office and Sheriff's Office. When he heads downstairs the bartender looks up and says "They're all over at church for Warren Earp's Funeral". He looks up at the clock, which reads a quarter until noon, and says, "Should be getting over pretty soon."

Chester says, "OK. Mind if I wait here for the Marshall?" The bartender replies, "Be my guest. Want anything to drink?" "Yeah. A beer would be fine. Do you know if they found Wyatt's body yet? News over in Promise City said they haven't." The Bartender says, "Nope, Behan and Leslie are still out looking for him. Doubt they'll catch him though, he's too smart for the lot of them."
Chester comments, "Oh, so he's still alive, then. If Wyatt is smart he'll leave the area. It's getting too hot for him here. Eventually he'll make a mistake and they catch him."

The bartender replies to Chester, "Not him, he's like a cat, has nine lives. Did you hear about his shootout at Iron Springs in late March? He marched headfirst across the creek with all of those outlaws shooting at him and not a one of them hit. Around the same time he got into another shootout somewhere between here and Promise City with over a dozen of them outlaws, shot down Billy Claibourne then, and not one bullet struck Wyatt."

"I hadn't heard about Iron Springs. I guess the gods are looking out for him. Not surprised about Claibourne, though." Chester takes a long pull of his beer to hide a smile. Especially since Wyatt was nowhere near Claibourne when he got shot down. Chester says, "What do you think about Wyatt's hunting down the remaining Cowboys? They must be running scared."

The bartender tells Chester, "I think they're all either dead or in jail at this point. Don't imagine there are too many more on their kill list. Damn shame them going and getting themselves all blown up just when the job is done." Chester says, "I hear you. But that's when things go wrong; near the end of your job. When you can see the finish line, you tend to hurry things. I guess that's what happened out there. Damn shame."

The bartender pours Chester another drink and says, "It's on the house, you being a lawman and all," and gestures to Chester's pocket. The star-shaped badge had been tucked into his shirt pocket but there is enough of an outline of it though the shirt for the observant barkeep to have noticed.
Chester replies, "Thanks. I'm a Deputy Marshall over in Promise City. What's your name? I'm Chester." He extends his hand. The bartender shakes it and says “Richard Denning, call me Rich. Not that I am though." Chester groans at the old joke. "Glad to meet you anyway, Rich”.

Rich then asks, "You a friend of the Earps, or of Behan?" Chester replies, "Neither actually. I don't know the Sheriff and I've only met Wyatt a couple times. I do have to admire the Earps for going after the Cowboys. They've been a big problem. I'm here to ask Virgil a couple questions. How well do you know him?" Rich answers, "Pretty well what with his office upstairs. He never spent much time in that room until after he was shot last December, spends even more time there since Morgan died. I feel sorry for him loosing Warren now too." Chester replies, “The Earps have given a lot for the area. No family should bear that much." Rich agrees.

Before they left for the train station, Kate made sure to find out of the buggies could also be kept there, or if there was someplace else in town to board them. Once that business was finished, they two walked together to the train station. It felt strange to walk the streets of Tombstone in her riding leathers with the duster flapping behind her. They arrived with some time to spare, so sat down on the bench by the door to wait.

"Go ahead Ginnie, you know how to stay out from underfoot. Henry?" she called. When he looked back she nodded to Ginnie. Kate hugged her mother and guided her a bit out of the crowd. "What are you wearing, Jacqueline?" the older woman asked. She answers, "Riding clothes, Maman. You can't ride from Promise City to Tombstone in a dress." Mrs. Seagram says, "It doesn't hide anything." Kate replies, "No, but it also allows me to move like I need to. Don't worry, Maman. No one's looking at me anyway."

She turned to Professor Pickering. "Professor, how nice to see you." Pickering replies, "And you as well my dear. Since you lived here for some time perhaps you could recommend a good restaurant for my students and I to eat at, we have two hours until our stagecoach departs for Promise City."

"The Grand Hotel has a fine restaurant attached to it." Kate explained how to get there, and then went on. "When you get to Promise City, ask for directions to the Promise City hotel. I checked ahead for you. They have enough room for all of you tonight, although you may have to double up tomorrow night. There are other places in town, so tomorrow you could look for more rooms if you didn't want to share." Pickering says, "They can share. Once we finally stop we're going to stay put for a bit. Boys, go bring the bags over to the Wells Fargo Office and we'll find this Grand Hotel." They head off.

Conrad is busy supervising the unloading of the buggies. He tells them that he's made arrangements for the men from the O.K. Corral to come and get them within the hour so to put them near the street but to watch them closely until the men arrive for them. He then heads back to Kate and the Seagrams and says, "Let's go get you folks checked into your hotel and then find us a nice restaurant too."

"I hope they'll have some room for Ginnie and I as well. We don't have a room yet." Kate took her brother Henry's arm as they walked. "You might not have heard on the train about what happened..." She went on to explain about Warren Earp and Wyatt. "There are reporters all over, I imagine. I thought I'd better come fetch you with all this going on."

As they pass by the Roman/Greek Church they see a large crowd up front next to a hearse wagon. Several photographers have set up tripods with their cameras outside. "I see what you mean," Henry states. Phillip says, "Too bad Tuck.." "Shut up Phil," Frederick forcefully exclaims, cutting off the boy in mid-sentence. Kate's eyes had gone wide when Phil began talking. Some of the sparkle faded from her face and Henry slipped his arm around her waist. "Let's find the hotel. It's not a good idea to linger in these crowds. Keep your eyes open for pickpockets, too."

The Seagram family arrives at the Cosmopolitan Hotel. They only have one extra room available. Seagram says, "Looks like we'll be sharing too. I'm sure Philip won't mind rooming with Mr. Booth. You can stay with your mother Katie and I'll room with Henry." They are given the keys and bring their luggage upstairs to drop off.

Kate went upstairs with her mother and stowed their things. "We'll have to get a cot for Ginnie."
Amelie was tucking her things away with her mouth twisted a bit. "Maman, it's not the east. Except for the Grand Hotel the accommodations don't get better, and a friend of the Earps owns the Grand Hotel. It's not a good idea to stay there, although I personally like Miss Hugley."

"I'm just tired, my dear," her mother answered. "And I suppose a bit spoiled these days." "Just try to relax. You never realize how tiring it is to be proper all the time until it's not so important anymore. Come, let's go meet the boys and get something to eat."

After their lunch Ruby and Jake arrive back at the train station with just enough time. They hop on the train and take two seats near the back of the car. They slouch down in their seats, Ruby's giggles are the only thing seen or heard from the other passengers.

Josie hurries into the church where the funeral is being held. She slides into the last pew, trying to spot who is in the crowd, looking specifically for two men, Wyatt Earp or Johnny Behan. Neither Earp or Behan are present. Warren's Casket is closed, with a photograph resting on top. The service is nearly over by the time that she has arrived. The Priest says some closing words and the pallbearers move forward. Josie recognizes all six of them from her previous time spent in Tombstone as friends of the Earps. Virgil Earp looks as though he's aged a decade in the last few days.

The pallbearers carry the casket past them followed by Virgil. As soon as they get outside the various photographers begins taking pictures of the procession. Josie tries to catch Virgil's eye as he passes. Once the procession and photographers are out of sight she exits the church, following the procession. Virgil does not notice her. The procession heads towards the train depot.

A hand then rests itself upon her shoulder. She looks and nobody is here. "Quiet darling," Wyatt's voice softly states. Josie goes rigid at the touch but immediately softens as she hears the voice. She fights the tears that want to fall then remembers she just walked out of a funeral. She wipes at her eyes and as she covers her face she whispers, "Thank the gods you're alive. Can we go somewhere?"

Wyatt replies, "No, I have a train to catch. I haven't been able to speak to Virgil yet, he hasn't been alone. I need to let him know that I'm alive before he leaves Tucson for California. I'll take the next train back from Tucson so I'll be back in less than four hours. Just tell me where to find you." "I will go get a room at Brown's. Meet me there love."

Josie wants nothing more than to embrace Wyatt and let out all the tension she has been holding in since finding out the terrible news but she keeps her head down. "I am so sorry..." she begins to sob for real. Wyatt Earp squeezes her shoulder and softly says, "Later then". She then hears his footsteps moving away from her. Josie waits a few moments before she does as she said she would. She hurries to Brown's and gets a room, and waits for Wyatt to return to her.

Several passengers seated on the desert side of the train get up and walk over to now look out the Tombstone side windows of the train. Short flashes of light seem to be coming from outside that side of the train as well.

"Oohhh, what's that?" Ruby crawls over Jake, leaving him a good look at her rear end and strains to see out the window, looking for the source of entertainment. Ruby sees a group of fifty-to-sixty people all attired in black are approaching the train station. A horse drawn wagon has a casket atop it. Walking next to the wagon is Virgil Earp. The only thing disturbing the solemnest of the occasion are five photographers who keep taking flash pictures of the procession.

"That's pretty rude." Ruby slides back into her seat and shrugs. "I guess I wouldn't mind photographers at my funeral. It would mean I'm famous," she smirks. She is quiet for a moment. "I wonder if they're bringing Warren on the train?" Ruby's question is answered as six pallbearers, one of whom Ruby recognizes as John Clum, carry the casket up onto the train and to the opened freight car. The freight car door is then shut and locked.

Most of the men, including Clum, then climb down the steps from the Depot but Virgil Earp and two of his companions load some suitcases into the baggage car and then head towards one of the passenger cars, not the one that Ruby and Jake are in with the foldable tables between opposite facing bench seats but the other car with just the upright seats facing forward. One of the photographer’s attempts to enter that car as well but an icy stare from Virgil prompts the man to enter Jake and Ruby's car instead.

"Well, that is that. I hope it isn't going to cause any trouble for this train. I'll be mighty angry if your vacation gets ruined." She eyes the photographer. "Excuse me, Sir? You were at the Earp funeral?" He replies, "Yes Ma'am, Foster Kreighan, Denver Post Gazette. I was covering a story in Prescott and got down here as soon as I received the telegram. Should sell a ton of papers. Do you know the Earps?"

Ruby starts to open her mouth but feels a pinch on her backside and quickly stops her train of thought. "Oh, uh, I guess just as much as anyone who lived under their jurisdiction. Hey, have they found Wyatt yet?" He answers, "Nope, should be anytime now. I think I'll take the train back here tonight in case word comes down about that." Ruby looks at him curiously, "What do you mean, anytime now? Do they think he's dead too?"

The photographer tells Ruby, "If he's not he will be, word around Prescott is that the President will be sending in several battalions of soldiers to hunt him down." The train begins to pull away from the station and he says, "Excuse me, I guess I should find a seat." His eyes dart to the empty bench opposite Ruby and Jake but one look from Jake dissuades him, and he heads further down the car.

As the train pulls away Ruby takes one last glance back at the community of Tombstone. From the train she sees the train depot, then the O.K. corral, the Grand Hotel and the dress shop run by the Frenchman. The train then passes by the hills with the stamping mill above and the town is soon out of sight. Little does she realize she will never look upon Tombstone like this again.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Twelve, “Confrontation on the Train”, Thursday, May 25th, 1882, 12:15 P.M

"Good job honey," Ruby whispers, then kisses Jake softly while looking him in the eyes. She runs her hand inside his jacket and Jake gets his trademark smile but Ruby suddenly pulls her hand out, with a small silver case in it. She smiles innocently and says, "Let's play cards to pass the time."

They play for around a half-hour and are about ten minutes away from Tucson when Jake senses that there is somebody else near them although he can't determine exactly where. Jake loses the next hand poorly and then grumpily says, "My deal," and grabs the cards. As he is shuffling he drops the queen of diamonds on the floor. "Clumsy of me," he says and reaches down for it. He surreptitiously listens and looks around before he puts it back in the deck. "Sure is nice being alone for a change."

Ruby had gotten Jake's subtle message and had been looking around for anything out of place. The silence of their game is broken by Wyatt Earp's voice, softly saying loud enough only for Jake and Ruby to hear "And some are now too alone." After Wyatt speaks she looks to the area from where the voice came from. "Wyatt?" she whispers back.

"I'm here," he states. Ruby and Jake now see the cushion of the seat across the table from them depress slightly. The voice then says, "Did you think you could escape me?" Ruby feels Jake immediately tense up and she quickly puts her hand over his to keep him from reaching for his Colt. She looks directly to the area where Wyatt is sitting. She replies easily, "Escape you? What exactly do you mean? We're on vacation." Wyatt replies, "Is that what you call it? It looks to me like you were trying to get away before I found you. Seems like you failed."

"Get away from what? You?." Jake says to Wyatt Earp while pretending to talk to Ruby. "What reason have I to get away from you? Frankly, I would rather not be seen with you and give Behan cause to haul me in. He probably already suspects me to be an Earp sympathizer, not to mention near the top of the revenge list with whatever Cowboys remain."

Earp replies, "So Cook, you're saying that it wasn't you who betrayed us? Behan knew we were coming...and that we'd be invisible. Only five people knew that information and you're two of them. Seems like quite a coincidence that you picked right now to skip town."

Jake replies, "I am avoiding Promise City politics. If I was avoiding you, I could do a bit better than wandering through Tombstone. I may be an opportunist, but I am not stupid." Jake looks around the car to make sure no one is looking. "Behan knew about you being invisible? Mierde." He scratches his chin and continues, "Was the explosion an accident?"

Earp replies, "An accident? No, we fell into a trap. Not sure if it was Behan or the cavalry who came up with it, but it appears that the artillerymen from Fort Huachuca set up cannon on some of the higher peaks of the Dragoon Mountains. They waited until we'd relaxed our guard and then trained their sights on our camp. Incendiary shells rained down on us from multiple directions, I was the only survivor."

His voice shifts direction and Earp states, "Okay West, who did you tell about us? I want the truth." Ruby replies, "I have no reason to lie to you Wyatt. I didn't tell anyone, not even my friends in Promise City. Why would I do that to one of my best friends?"

There is a long pause before Earp's voice says, "I believe you Miss. West. I know Josie didn't betray us. That only leaves Dumont and Duprey. They'll soon regret making me their enemy." Ruby continues quickly, "Madge would never ever do that, Wyatt. She was already scared to death of you and what might happen. I highly doubt Dumont would do that either. I believe Mr. Dumont already left town but I would not take her teacher's warning lightly."

Ruby pauses then speaks slowly, "Maybe it's possible someone else saw us that day? I mean, you are a wanted man, maybe you were followed." Earp replies, "We weren't. No, somebody betrayed us. Behan told his men that three of us were invisible, he had first hand information. Well, I'll deal with those other two. I'll advise you not to make any attempt by you to warn them. Good day to the both of you."

Jake scratches his chin some more while they are talking. Then he says quietly to no one in particular. "We took several potions that make folks invisible off various dead Cowboys. I wonder if they still have a way to get them after Ringo's death? Hard to know what an invisible person might have overheard or seen." He seems to snap out of his reverie. "It does not make sense that any of the five you mentioned would rat you out. I can only speak for us two. We did not even speak what we saw again between us for someone else to overhear." After a pause he finishes, "Mierda, the army is involved."

Jake feels Ruby's body tense up. "I don't take well to people threatening my friends Wyatt." Earp replies "And I don't take well to my brother and my friends being murdered." They both hear his footfalls move away as the train enters the Tucson train station. After the footsteps fade away, "Damn It Jake!," Ruby says under her breath, obviously still tense and not attempting to move our of her seat, "How can I not tell Madge?"

He replies, "Blasted Earps always seem to be causing trouble for us." Jake then snaps his fingers. He leans in close to Ruby and whispers in her ear. "He did not say anything about Josie not telling Madge." She replies, "Why would Josie warn Madge that her boyfriend is on the way to get her? That makes no sense. And how do we get to Josie to tell Madge anyway? And what makes you think she would?" There is an air of annoyance in Ruby's voice, "And why do our vacations always get ruined?" she pouts as she crosses her arms over her chest.

"Details, details. How would you tell Madge anyway?" Jake pauses and listens around him to make sure Wyatt is still not there. Continuing the whisper, "Get a secret message to Madge, convince Josie to tell Madge later. That would make it look like we did not tell Madge. Wyatt also did not say we should not tell YOUR teacher. What HE chooses to do is an entirely different matter. Get a message to him and then it is not our problem any more. Voila, vacation begins."

The train comes to a complete stop at the Tucson train depot and the passengers begin to depart. Ruby sighs and lets her arms drop. "Always something," she mutters under her breath as she collects the cards. She carefully places them back in their home and slips the silver case back inside Jake's pocket. "Let's go to the Saloon. I have an idea." She gathers her bag and wrap and waits for Jake to exit the train, a scowl still attached to her face.

He replies, "What saloon?" Ruby furrows her brows. "Uh, Reds?" He says, "Yah, that. Well since I did not exactly tell him we were coming, he is not expecting us. I am not even sure the place is open all the time. With Jane around, things might be different. He uses the place as a hide out, I would not want Earp following us there. Let us go get a hotel room, and then I figure out how to get in touch with him." Jake shrugs his shoulders sheepishly.

"Oh," Ruby says with a hint of disappointment, "I thought we were staying with them. I thought he wanted us to come and visit." Ruby is quiet for a moment. "Let's just get our stuff and go."
They gather all their bags together. "Do you know of a place to stay or should we just wander?"
"Just wander," Jake replies, so they drag their bags around looking for a nice hotel.

They soon come upon the Arizona Arms, a reasonably priced three-story wooden structure along one of the main roads through town. They are able to get a room for $ 1 a night. They check in and after dropping their bags off Jake says, "Red does want us to visit. I just feel wrong about possibly dropping Earp on his doorstep. I know, we can do a bit of saloon hopping and hit a couple other places before we go there. Then we can see how he wants to handle things. For all I know things could be really different since I visited last. He might have the place fully open for business if Jane is involved. Besides, that gives us a reason to be there in public. You would not turn down some drinks on the way?"

"Course not." She sits on the bed and is quiet for a moment. "I guess Mr. Gonzales can take care of himself. I just worry about Madge. I wish I had a way to get a telegram there at least." She is quiet again. "You know what? Let's get drunk and maybe a solution will present itself." Ruby pulls her gowns out of her bag and throws them on the bed. "How about the red one?" she says out loud but to herself. She begins freshening up and when she is finally satisfied she turns to Jake.

"Drinks plus a boyfriend who is good at distractions, that is just what I need." She giggles as both her straps fall off her shoulders. "Just like the old days," she laughs, leaving them where they are. "Let's go." They head out into the city of Tucson to find a saloon for their first stop. It doesn't take Ruby and Jake long to find them a place to drink, The Brown Oxen Saloon over on Broad Street.

They slide up to the bar and order two whiskeys. When the bartender returns Ruby asks, "So, anything interesting going on here in the city of Tucson?" The bartender says, "Oh yes, lots of excitement. Warren Earp's body came here today. Arrived a while back, will be heading on to California sometime soon. His brother Virgil is with him."

She says, "I did hear that. I wonder when they'll move on. I guess it'll be busy here until they do." She sips at her whiskey. "Anything else? I like to hear all the new gossip." He replies, "Only other active rumor is that Chief of Police Souther will be fired soon for taking bribes on the side. Don't know if there's any truth to that one."

"Good to know, you know, just in case," Ruby laughs and throws back her whiskey. They order another round, which they take their time drinking before heading to another Saloon, where they don't even bother looking at the name.

Here they enjoy one whiskey before Ruby becomes overly impatient. She rubs up suggestively against Jake, "Come on baby, I want to go now and see Jane and..." she stops herself, "Well, Jane. Pleassseee," she pleads, looking up with big doe eyes. Jake can't resist laughing, "Alright, alright, let's go." He pays the bills and taking her by the hand leads Ruby to Red's Saloon.

They head to the far end of town. The old run-down clapboard fifteen-by-forty-five-foot building just off of Court Street still stands although the sign "Water Hole Saloon" is no longer there. The biggest change however is the massive one-hundred-by-sixty foot four-story building attached to it. The large structure appears to be brand new and the front has a multi-colored twenty-foot wide and twenty-foot-high stained glass window over the ornate front doors, giving it a cathedral look. Adjacent to the doors is an emerald green sign with silver and gold lettering that reads "Three Gods Meeting House".

Jake shrugs, "I am starting to believe nothing surprises me any more." He opens the door for Ruby. The front room of the meetinghouse runs the full sixty-foot width of the building and back for thirty feet. The room itself is a massive lobby, rising up the full thirty-six foot height of the building. There are staircases in both corners rising up to the second, third and forth floors, with balcony corridors on both side walls heading back to the remainder of the room. An elaborate gas chandelier hangs down from the center of the ceiling.

The remainder of the lobby features full-sized statues of Dionysus, Aphrodite and Hermes. Red-velvet covered furniture fills the remainder of the lobby. On the opposite wall are three doors, one on either side and another in the middle. Seated in a chair behind a desk near the center door is a man in a suit and tie who Jake recognizes as Red's main guard Richard. He has no visible weapons but Jake notes the man's shoulder and chest are larger than before, indicating a shoulder holster on each arm.

Jake hooks his arm in Ruby's and saunters over to the desk like someone who owns the place. "I am suitably impressed." Jake lets his gaze wander over the room again. "Richard, may I introduce the inimitable Ruby West. Would Mr. Patrick or Mr. Van Horne be about?" Before the man can answer Jake adds, "Forgive me, or the priestess? Miss West here is close friends with Jane."

Richard replies "Hello Mr. Jacob, I will let some of your partners know that you have arrived. Mr. Alistair said to expect you at any time. Would you like to freshen up in your room first or go directly in?" Ruby's eyes are still lit up taking in all the splendor of the building. She grips Jake's arm tighter, "We have a room here? Let's go see it!" she says excitedly. "No! Wait, let's go see them first..." she turns to Richard and is practically jumping up and down, "We want to go in please."

Jake smiles broadly. "It is important the we make Miss West happy. Let us go directly in, and we will freshen up after we make some long overdue greetings." Richard opens the drawer to his desk and removes a Bell Telephone. He says, "Charles, it's Richard, Mr. Jacob has arrived." A moment later one of the side doors opens and a well-dressed clean-shaven man in a tailored silk suit comes out. It is only after Jake sees the man's eyes that he recognizes that he has met him before, as the last time Jake saw him the man was posing as a disheveled drunk with a week's growth of beard who was drinking at the old Water Hole Saloon.

Charles leads Jake through the center door into a vast room. It is fifty-foot square and windowless, a wall extending on both sides five feet parallel the outside walls. The room ceiling to the room is 18 feet high, taking up the equivalent of the first and second floors. The second floor railed balcony's extending down both sides of the room. The room has chandeliers although Ruby recognizes from the magical aura that it is some sort of magical light illuminating the room rather than the light fixtures.

The center room itself is filled with gambling tables, set for Poker, Blackjack and Faro. The entire right wall is comprised of a long wooden bar with two dozen velvet-covered barstools in front. The left wall has elaborate paintings of the Greek Gods and shelves with various urns, gold braziers and statues made of different materials. The far wall has a wooden stage, starting five feet above the main floor and ten-feet deep and running forty-feet across. On both ends of the stage are staircases both down to the first floor and up to the second floor balconies. On both ends of the stage are doors.

Those to the right of the stage appear to go to a kitchen area in the final twenty-feet of the building given the waiters emerging from there with trays of food. The doors to the left of the stage are shut with a pair of armed guards standing before them. The doors open and the man Jake recognizes as the Alistair disguise exit from them. One of the guards accompanies him. "Mr. Jacob, it is so good to see you again," he states.

Jake states, "It is a great pleasure to be back. I came to see good friends but it appears I also need a tour." Ruby smiles at the stranger, waiting to be introduced. She stops suddenly, pulls up her shoulder strap with one hand and grips Jake's hand tighter in her other. She whispers in his ear, "Jake, I'm not dressed nice enough for this place. This dress doesn't even really fit. I didn't know it was going to be so fancy."

Jake turns briefly from Mr. 'Alistair' and says, "Ruby darling, you are the prettiest thing in the place. I was just thinking they need to run out and get some additional gold and satin decorations just to keep from being embarrassed themselves." For once Jake's compliments don't work and she whispers back, "I need a new dress if we come back," but she squeezes his hand for the effort. She stands a little taller and says in a louder, sweet voice, "Baby why don't you introduce me to your friend?"

"I apologize, Miss West this is Mr. Alistair. He is one of the partners in this enterprise." Without trying to be rude Jake attempts to discern by looking at Mr. 'Alistair' if it is indeed his friend Patrick O'Brien. She says in a sweet voice and with a smile, "Mr. Alistair, it is a pleasure to finally meet you." She extends her hand gracefully and waits for the stranger to take it.

The eyes assure Jake that this is indeed his friend Red. He looks to Ruby and says, "Do not be self conscious about your attire, as you can see, we only have a handful of people here at the moment and they are otherwise pre-occupied. And weeknights tend to be rather quiet here, fancier attire would not be necessary until tomorrow evening."

Red's 'handful' is more like a dozen, with three people seated at the bar, another five playing poker with a dealer who Jake recognizes from a previous visit as Red's main dealer Isaac V. Stevens, and four more comprised of two couples seated at a far table having dinner.

He then says, "Have you eaten? Perhaps you would like to head upstairs to the Partners dining room. I believe Mr. Patrick will be dining there soon and we can ask Miss. Boag if she would like to join you as well. She no doubt has other clothing Miss. West that you could borrow."

Ruby says, "But she is much smaller than me, I would really have to squeeze and would not want to ruin her fine dresses. We will figure it out by tomorrow, I will ask her for suggestions. Enough of talk of my clothes, I want to see Jane! We haven't eaten, maybe you can show us around on the way to the dining room?"

Mr. Alistair says that he will alert the kitchen to prepare two extra plates and that he will notify Miss. Boag and Mr. Patrick that they will have company for dinner. He walks them over to the bar and introduces them to the main bartender, a plump middle-aged Italian gentleman named Carlo Grappini. He explains that Mr. Grappini formerly served with the Roman/Greek Church as a Priest of Dionysus. He tells Mr. Grappini to serve them whatever they would like and that as escort will bring them upstairs when the dinner is ready. Alistair then departs through the door that he entered from, the bodyguard taking up position again by the doorway.

"Mr. Grappini I believe you will be one of our very best friends while we stay here," Ruby laughs. "You must have some Kentucky Bourbon for us?" He replies, "We have cases of it. I'm tempted to rename it Ambrosia, the drink of the gods, given how much the owners of this establishment favor the drink." He pours them each a glass.

"The drink of the gods, I like that. Thank you Sir," she says and flashes him her special smile. Keeping the drink in her hands she turns her back to the bar and leans up against it, so the bartender can't hear her.

"You know, I think I may have to be adventurous and try something different while I am here. Perhaps a fine champagne," she sips at her bourbon. She turns her face towards Jake. "So... the Mr. Jacobs I know has a wife. Care to tell me what is going on? A little background perhaps? What should I be calling you?" He replies, "As soon as I figure out completely what is going on, I will let you know."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Thirteen, “The Tombstone Fire”, Thursday, May 25th, 1882, 2:30 P.M

Chester turns to Clarisse. "Sorry dear. I have to do this. It shouldn't take long. I'll meet you back here." She replies, "OK. I guess. Don't take long." He says, "I won't." Chester finds the Wells Fargo office. He walks up to the counter. "Good afternoon. Are you Deputy Marshall Williams?"

He replies, "No, I'm Gerson Carter, can I help you sir?" he asks. Chester explains that he is looking for Deputy Williams. Carter says, "Don't know where he is right now but I can tell him you're looking for him. Where can you be reached sir?"

Chester replies, "He can leave me a note at the Grand Hotel. That's where I'm staying until tomorrow morning. I may be out most of the day, though. Thank you. Oh, when's the stage to Promise City leaving tomorrow?" He answers, "Two O’clock in the afternoon. Would you like tickets? I've already sold six, only two left."

"I just need one, thanks." Chester pays for the ticket. "See you later." Chester returns to Crystal Palace. "Miss me? Williams wasn't there, so I am free for the day. The stage home leaves at 2:00 P.M. tomorrow afternoon." Clarisse says, "Let's go shopping. I bet they have things I can't find in Promise City." Chester inwardly groans, but a promise is a promise.

At a few minutes after three the Seagram family heard the bells of the Tombstone church’s sounding. Kate listened for a moment, then sighed. "I thought everything would be finished by now. Perhaps we should avoid going past the church."

At 3:30 P.M. Josie Marcus is resting in her room at Brown's Hotel while Conrad and Henry are down in that hotel's lobby chatting up a storm. Chester and Clarisse are busy shopping in a dry goods store on Fremont Street. The Church bells continue to sound again. Chester and Clarisse see a group of men rush by outside pushing the town's fire wagon. Chester sticks his head out the door to see where they're headed. Clarisse says to him, "That's terrible. Let's go see what all the excitement's about. I hope no one gets hurt." After paying for their purchases, they walk to the fire scene.

Kate is showing her family around when they see a large plume of smoke coming from the direction of Allen and Fifth Streets. "What in the world?" Kate turned her steps toward the smoke. "I need to see what's happening. Hurry," she said and began trotting away. Kate and her family reach the corner of Fifth and Fremont, seeing a fire raging a block further south at the corner of Fifth and Allen Streets. At least three buildings are already engulfed.

Kate exclaims, "Phil, take Maman back to the hotel, we'll be there as soon as we can." He opened his mouth to protest but Kate said firmly, "Now!" Once the two had turned away Kate placed herself between her father and the wall and said, "Block me from view, Papa. I need to see something." Once she was sure no one could see her well enough to guess what she was doing, she made the subtle gestures and muttered under her breath the incantation that would allow her to see anyone hiding with invisibility.

Chester and Clarisse are unable to get closer than fifty feet due to the heat. The buildings currently engulfed in the rising flames are Campbell & Hatch's Billiard Hall, the Tivoli Saloon, and the Golden Eagle Brewery. Somebody says that the brewery was stocked full of flammable liquids, which is why it is spreading so fast. All of the adjacent buildings on both Allen and Fifth Streets are being evacuated. Four men attempt to get the fire wagon operating.

Clarisse says to Chester, "You should help them. This looks like the fire back home did. Oh, those poor people." Chester nods in agreement. He hands her his gun belt. "I don't want them going off in the heat."

As Chester moves forward two explosions ring out from the Golden Eagle Brewery. One blows out the door and front windows of the building, the blast striking the fire wagon and toppling it over, the 100 gallons of water contained within pouring out onto the street without a single drop going to it's intended purpose. The second blast causes the front facade of the Tivoli Saloon to collapse forward, with the firefighters on the Street barley missing having it hit them. The debris crushes the fire wagon and it catches aflame. The top of the two-story facade hits the roofs of the butcher shop and dressmaker shop and they quickly catch fire.

"I need to find out if anyone was hurt, I can help," Kate said quickly to her father. "I'll be right back." She started forward only to find her father keeping up with her. She only shook her head and kept going. As the heat became more intense she had to stop. She asked the nearest onlooker, "Is anyone hurt? Have they set up a place to take anyone who is injured?" Somebody says to Kate, "A few men from the Brewery got burned, they took them over to the Russ House, at the corner of Fifth and Toughnut Streets, but the fire is now spreading that way too."

"Thanks," Kate said simply before she turned back to her father. "This is heading right for the hotel. We have to get Ginnie and Maman, hurry!" They both took off running, going around the fire and hoping to beat it back to the hotel.

Chester creeps over to the nearest fireman. He shouts above the blaze, "Do you have another wagon? We'll need to start a bucket brigade in any case." The firefighter says, "A bucket brigade? With what, there's no water in town." The other firefighter says, "There might be another fire wagon over at the train depot. Promise City ordered one that was supposed to arrive today, possibly on the noon train. It wouldn't have any water though."

The outer walls of Campbell and Hatch's Billiard Hall collapse, forcing people to move further back. With a breeze coming from the east the fires continues to burn westward along both sides of Allen Street. People are already being evacuated from the Cosmopolitan Hotel as the flames reach the building. Kate sees her brother Phillip, her mother and Ginnie being ushered northward onto Fourth Street. The fire also continues to burn both up and down Fifth Street, towards Fremont Street to the north and Toughnut Street to the south.

Kate ran, easily outpacing her father to reach the others. She grabbed Ginnie and hugged her fiercely while looking at her family. Her father caught up, panting, and put his arm around his wife. "Friedrich, our things," Amelie said, her accent thick with distress. "Our clothes and Jacqueline's books. Gifts for the girls. And where is Henri?"

"We're all alright, that's all that matters. Henry wasn't here, he's fine. We'll just have to buy new things in Promise City, everything's alright." Friedrich held his wife close to him and looked around. "They must have heard about this by now, Henry will be looking for us." Kate nodded, watching the clouds of smoke rise. "They must be moving the wounded. I should find out where, I can help. We'll have to find somewhere to stay tonight, if there's a town left to stay in."

The fire continues to burn unchecked as the people in town hear the whistles of the 4:00 P.M. train arriving at the depot. The Tombstone Fire Wagon was a total loss after flaming debris from the Brewery fell upon it. The frustrated firefighters hurry westward to the train depot in hopes of appropriating Promise City's new one as a substitute.

The fire has also now jumped Fifth Street and is rapidly spreading east towards Big Nose Kate's Grand Hotel and Restaurant. The townspeople are generally being herded north to Scheieffelin Hall and Turn Verein Hall on Fourth Street between Fremont and Safford.

The fire also spreads northward on all three Streets where it is currently burning and Mr. Spangenberg, who owns the gun shop on Fourth between Allen and Fremont, yells for help to move whatever of his stock he has before it ignites. Frederick and Phillip Seagram both go to assist. Further up Fourth Street, Postmaster John Clum hurriedly removes the United States Mail from the Post Office at the corner of Fourth and Fremont.

The Cosmopolitan Hotel was a large and stately structure and it makes for an impressive inferno. Unfortunately its flaming debris crosses Fourth Street igniting the Can Can Restaurant on the opposite side. Both Kate and Chester realize that the flames will very soon reach the O.K. Corral, three buildings west of the Can Can.

Josie Marcus awakens at 4:15 PM from her nap to a room filled with smoke. She looks out the window to see several buildings on fire, including the building immediately adjacent to Brown's Hotel. She had locked the door of her room but Conrad Booth manages to somehow open it and hurries inside. "Hurry up Miss Marcus, we have to get out now," he yells between coughs.

"Wha..What is going on?" Josie looks around confused for a moment then registers the smoke. She grabs her bag, still sitting packed neatly on the bed and follows Conrad out the door. They head out into the second floor hallway. Conrad yells up to the third floor "Henry, I've got Josie. Find Angela and get out of here."

"Chester, the horses! Quick! Ginnie, take care of Maman." Kate didn't wait to see if Chester followed, running as fast as she could to the corral where Meribel and the new buggies were. Ginnie takes a hold of Maman hand. "We need to find the priests!" she yells over the confusion. "The only way the people of this town are going to be able to control this fire is with water and there isn't any. The priest can call it down but I doubt they have thought of that, with the wounded. The only other possibility would be to fight fire with fire and actually create a flame break but I can't see that happening. "How are you with pain and burned victims Maman?"

Mrs. Seagram replies, "Jacqueline is the one who can nurse... I. It has been a long time but I can help. We passed the church when they had the funeral, but if we leave the others will not know where to find us."

Chester gets a hold of Clarisse who looks on in shock at the speed of the fire. "Clarisse, get to the hotel and grab our bags, but only if it's safe. Ask a bellhop to help you. I'm getting the horses from the corral. They'll be burned up otherwise. Do you understand?" She nods and says in a quavering voice. "Yes. Get the bags if it's safe. Where will I find you?" Chester says, "Scheieffelin Hall. That's where everyone's headed. I love you." Chester rushes to the OK Corral. The clouds of smoke in the air agitate the horses.

Ginnie yells to Kate and Chester "We're heading to the Schieffelin! I'm going to try to get the priests to use their magic to make water so it can be used for the fire, we will be with the wounded trying to deal with them!” “We'll meet you there, be careful!" Kate shouted back and kept running for the corral where she first looked to get the horses out, then the buggies.

Ginnie pulls Maman behind her "If your going to get upset, save it for later there is nothing you do better than organize large groups of people and make them listen they won't listen to me. they need to start making some fire breaks I may need Pepere to tell the men that but they will respect you and listen. Right now we need to do what we can before we leave. And leave as soon as we can.

Amelie looked down at this young girl her daughter had taken as her own. Her shoulders firmed up and the older woman suddenly looked years younger. "Of course, belle Ginnie." She took the girl's hand and they began to move. They caught sight of Phillip and she shouted to him where they were going and where Jacqueline had gone. They entered the hall and Amelie drew herself up with her most authoritative air. "Are any of the Priests here?" she demanded.

Ginnie looked though the church to find the holy water font. The Priests would need it if they would listen to Maman. Ginnie also looked at the trappings of the church trying to find what the priests would find most important to save from the flames. If she needed to find a way to convince the priest to help she wanted some leverage.

The Priest at the church had been packing up the congregations belonging in a trunk, as the fire is now only two blocks to the east of the building and rapidly moving in that direction. He says "I need to get the holy things out of here, it may be all that I can save." "The gods, they grant the power to make water, no? Can you not help douse the fire?" Amelie asked.

Ginnie looked at the priest "I can pack if you can create water. The men can't stop this fire because there isn't a water source for the town. The fire wagons will be empty soon and people are willing to use buckets but there isn't water to be had. Is this something the gods would listen to you for?" She begins to hand him books and other articles. He says to Ginnie and Mrs. Seagram, "I'll pray when we are away from here, the fire is spreading this way."

They gather up the remaining religious items that the three of them can carry and exit the building, the fire now much closer. "They are gathering people at Turn Verien Hall and Scheieffelin Hall. We should go there." Amelie began to stride out with her arms full before she realized she didn't quite know where to go. "Lead on, belle Ginnie."

The dried out wood of the buildings makes the town a perfect tinderbox and the flames continue to spread rapidly with the assistance of the wind. The firefighters reach the train depot and get into an argument with the railroad men about taking the still crated up fire wagon that has just now arrived on the 4:00 P.M. train. It is only after the men point out that the flames are moving in the direction of the train depot that the railroad yardmen decide to help, finding crowbars to open the crate. A pair of draft horses is then found to haul the wagon up to the stamping mill where the water pumps are.

When Chester and Kate reach the O.K. Corral a trio of men are busy ushering the horses towards the northern end of the corral on Fremont Street and away from the hay-filled barn on Allen Street. Kate notices the two new buggies that Conrad purchased sitting inside of that aforementioned barn, where her and Chester's saddles are as well.

Kate hurried over to the men. "I need to get those buggies out of there. Can it be done without the horses to pull them?" One of the workers says, "We'll have to try, no way are we going to be able to get a horse to walk into there," he states as the first of the flames reach the barn's walls. "You help calm the horses."

Two of the men head back to the first buggy, each taking the reins and platform on one side, and pull it out of the doors on the north side of the barn. They get it clear of the barn when the bales of hay in the barn loft ignite. "Sorry lady, we ain't going in there for the other," he tells Kate.

Kate replies, "No, of course not. I'm grateful you got the one. Do you have somewhere else to move these animals?" she asked. She'd been working hard at keeping the horses mostly calm, and so far she was s succeeding. "There's no way to know where this fire will go. I can help you move them." The men decide to hook up one of the horses to the buggy to help pull it away and suggest that all four of them get on horses to help herd the animals in the direction of Turn Verien Hall, where others can help them.

Kate swung up on Meribel's back without her saddle, which was merrily burning in the barn. She took the reins of the horse hitched to the buggy and followed the men to Turn Verien Hall. Chester climbs onto Lookout's back. He looks at Kate. "Been a while since I've ridden without a saddle. I've almost forgotten how to do it. Let's get these horses moving." He rides in direction of Turn Verien Hall.

Meanwhile several blocks to the south, Conrad and Josie make their ways down the staircase the exterior north and eastern walls of the building catch fire. When they reach the ground floor the curtains and rugs near the main entrance are now burning. Conrad leads her through the kitchen and out the door on the western side of the building. Once she is free of the building he says, "I'll be back, get away from the building.".

He then charges back inside yelling out "Henry! Where are you?". "Conrad!" Josie screams frantically, watching him disappear through the smoke. She backs away from the building, crossing the street clutching her bag, but stands in fear watching the flames envelop the building.

The two lawmen presently in town, Deputy Sheriff Dave Neagle and Deputy Marshall Marshall Williams conclude that the entire town will be lost if the fire continues to burn unchecked and also that there is no water to extinguish it. They decide that the solution is to establish firebreaks to keep the flames from jumping across the streets. They retrieve large quantities of dynamite for this effort.

Postmaster John Clum has thus far made sure that the safe, all of the mail, and all portable fixtures had been removed from the Post Office. Dave Neagle comes into the office through a rear door and tells Clum "I just placed a box of dynamite beneath the rear of the building and lit the fuse. I would advise you to get out." Clum does so and is a half block away when the dynamite explodes and the adobe walls of the post office were precipitated into the air. The post office was covered with a tin roof, which in its ascent and descent gave the effect of stage thunder.

At the sound of the explosion, Chester almost falls off his horse. "What in Hades was that? Don't tell me there's a dynamite shed here too." The stunning sound of dynamite going off startled the horse pulling the buggy, and Kate had her hands full for a moment keeping the animal calm. Meribel was thankfully steady underneath her. The mare had been through so much already a little boom didn't bother her. "Was there dynamite somewhere or are they fighting fire with fire?"

The stable hands manage to get the horses and buggy to the far side of the hall. They thank Chester and Kate for their help. Townsfolk are flocking into both Turn Verien Hall and Schieffelin Hall, including Ginnie, Mrs. Seagram and the Priest. Kate also sees her brother Phillip. Kate hurried inside after her family. She'd thought she would see Conrad and Henry here, but perhaps they were in the other hall. Waving to Phil, she called out as soon as he was close enough, "Phil, where's Papa?"

Phillip yells over the sounds of the fire and dynamite "He went looking for Henry and Conrad. They were going to Brown's Hotel, wherever that is, to find somebody named Angela." Kate is very familiar with where that Hotel is, at the northwestern corner of Fifth and Toughnut Streets, as the boarding house where she lived for three months was diagonally across from it on Fifth Streets. It is only one block east and two blocks south of where she is now but everything in between is a raging inferno, so she will have to ride further east to get to there.

Chester scans the crowd, looking for Clarisse. He finds her just outside the Hall looking for him. He dismounts and gives her a big hug. They say to each other, "I'm glad you're safe." She asks him, "What was that explosion? It shook the whole building?" "I don't know, but it sounded like dynamite. Let's look for Kate and her family. I hope the train got out of town OK."

He no sooner says than when the sound of the train’s whistle calls out. It had delayed its departure while the railroad men loaded everything from the depot that wasn't nailed down, and a few things that were, onto the freight cars. They decide to help evacuate the town, waiving the requirement of tickets. Over two hundred people are crowded onto the passenger cars, standing once all of the seats are filled. They train sets off at approximately 5:00 P.M., mere minutes before the flames reach the western end of town where the depot stands.

The two lawmen continue to dynamite buildings on the south side of Fremont Street, with both the Tombstone Nugget Office and Fly's Boarding House being the next to explode. It is now 4:45 PM and a ten-block radius of buildings is all in flames, with the fire now reaching the Roman/Greek Church and continuing westward. The Fire Wagon has been pulled down from the hills and takes position outside Schieffelin Hall to prevent the fire from crossing Fremont Street to that building.

Josie Marcus hears the sounds of the buildings two blocks north on Fremont Street being dynamited to build a firebreak. Brown's Hotel continues to burn out of control, with all four walls now looking to be sheets of flames. A man emerges from the kitchen door carrying a woman. When he gets far enough away from the thick dark smoke of the building she can see that it is a soot-covered Conrad Booth carrying an unconscious Angela Young in his hands. He puts her down in front of Josie and says, "She's still breathing but she swallowed a lot of smoke. I think that Henry Seagram is still inside, I need to go back to find him."

Josie kneels next to Angela. "I'll watch her," she says, glancing around to make sure she is far enough away from the burning buildings and flames. "Conrad, you can't go back in there, it's almost down. Maybe he got out another way. It's too dangerous." The roof and third floor of Brown's Hotel then collapse inward on the structure. Conrad drops to his knees and yells out "NOooooo!" He then buries his head in his hands and starts to sob openly. The gathering crowd keeps their distance.

Not long thereafter Frederick Seagram arrives and walks directly up to Conrad. He exclaims, "Mr. Booth, what's wrong? Where's Henry?" Conrad gestures to the raging and mostly collapsed building before them and says, "Sir...we went in there to rescue people.....he never made it out." Frederick's face takes on a dark expression. He then begins to charge towards the inferno. Conrad leaps up and charges forward to grab him. Three burly men in the crowd also move forward to assist Conrad in holding the older man back.

DM’s Note: Welcome to the Tombstone Fire, the second most famous event in the real town's actual history (the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral being the biggest). The account of the fire used for this and subsequent chapters was derived from John Clum’s Autobiography Apache Days & Tombstone Nights covering the years 1877 to 1887.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Fourteen, “Three Gods Meeting Hall”, Thursday, May 25th, 1882, 3:00 P.M

Jake takes his bourbon and escorts Ruby away from the bar. "Here I am Mr. Jacob, no S. The staff of the previous establishment was instructed to treat me like a partner. The partners here are Mr. Alistair, whom you have just met, Mr. Van Horne, who you know, and a Mr. Patrick, who you met at the festival dressed as a leprechaun or some such nonsense."

Jake clears his throat and says with a wink, "Of course you know that deep down inside the three of them are very much alike. I do not believe any of the staff knows that. I do not know what the arrangements are with this new building," he says sweeping his hand around, "nor do I know what the Priestess Boag knows. So until Red lets us know what is going on play along and enjoy the ride." He takes a sip of the Kentucky Bourbon and savors it a moment before speaking again.

"I was just thinking that if you composed a note, one of these fine gentlemen would run it over to the telegraph office. The note could be from Chief Golden Eagle and sent to Senor Gonzalez, or someone who could get a note to him. Maybe even Nanuet," Jake adds tapping his lips. "Either way you decide. The note might suggest that the Chief needs to see the teacher in Tucson immediately to tell them some good news, or that his cousin Dancing Warbler was ill, or some other such thing. Whatever you do keep it clever and in words that someone else will not know or suspect. The note will make it on the next stage to Promise City, when ever that is. Pick a time and a location to meet here in Tucson, and we can just check that spot every day at that time until we leave. Seems to me that might allow us to let your teacher know about our little encounter on the train."

Jake shrugs. "Or wait until some other inspiration strikes you. As soon as I can speak with Red privately, I will let him know about Earp and we can determine if he would like to invite us to stay here with him or not. If Earp was serious, he will be on the next train back to Tombstone and it should not matter either way. In the mean time, I hope dinner comes soon. I am hungry and Red usually sets a fine table."

Ruby rubs her lips as she ponders all Jake just said. "You mean we're not staying here?" she says in a disappointed tone of voice. He replies, "Be optimistic woman. I would be surprised if Red did not wish us to be here. I am sure we will work something out. We have to let him know about Earp and make sure he has no worries about that."

Ruby again sips at her whiskey and ponders. "Alright darling I will. I am very optimistic that you will keep me entertained and happy no matter where we are." A smile comes to her face. "You can always sate me with kisses baby. Feel free to start anytime," she giggles.

Ruby secures some paper and a pen from Mr. Grappini and begins to write. It is obvious that she is careful in her choice of words, stopping frequently to tap her lips. Once she is done she neatly folds the paper and returns it to the bartender. “Could you please have someone bring this right away to the telegraph office? It is of the utmost importance. It is to be telegraphed to Tombstone then put on the stage to Promise City and then delivered.”

A very shapely young brunette woman of around twenty, wearing a white gown with silver jewelry and belt approaches Jake and Ruby. She says, "Good evening, I am Sophonisba. I have been asked to escort you upstairs".

She leads them over to the corner of the room towards the kitchen door, but instead of entering through it she touches a panel on the side wall instead, which reveals a hidden door that opens into the five-foot wide hallway between the room and exterior wall. A staircase up is to their right and she leads them up to the fourth floor. The staircase ends in an interior L-shaped five-foot wide corridor running twelve feet east to west opposite the stairs and thirty-five feet north to south. They see a door at the very end of the long section and two more doors on the side wall of that corridor. The shorter section has two doors on one side and one on the other.

She leads them to the single door of the shorter section, which she holds open. Inside is a twenty-by-thirty foot dining room in the building's interior. A long and wide rectangular oak table is at the center of the room, with two seats on the shorter ends and four seats on each side.

Patrick O'Brien is seated at the far end of the table with Jane Boag on the side seat adjacent to it. Place settings have been put out at the chair alongside his and the seat adjacent to it and opposite Jane. Patrick and Jane both stand and welcome their guests. As soon as Ruby sees Jane and Patrick she lets go of Jake and runs over to them, hugging each of them tightly in return. "I'm so excited to see you, I couldn't wait to come and visit!" She hugs them both again then finally settles down but the twinkle of happiness stays in her eyes.

The woman Sophonisba is assisted by an older man in bringing the food over to the table. The food is on fancy trays and has been conveyed up to the top floor via a dumbwaiter inside the wall where the shorter corridor outside would have ended. After all of the food has been served the man and woman both depart, shutting the doors behind them. Patrick says, "Eat up everybody and I will answer all of your questions."

"This place looks great," she beams, "I can't wait to see the rest. It's amazing. We saw the main part downstairs with the gambling and the stage, what else do you offer?" She takes the seat across from Jane leaving the closer seat for Jake. She stops suddenly. "Oh, excuse my manners," a blush comes to her cheeks, "How have you been, besides busy that is?" Jake just chuckles to himself as Ruby goes on about being Ruby, which pleases him to no end. He eats while listening to what they have to say.

Jane says, "Busy seems to cover it. I'm glad you like the place." Red says, "It was a good collaboration, her ideas and my money. You've already seen the majority of the place, the lobby occupies almost thirty percent of the cubic footage and the meeting hall roughly another twenty-five percent. The back section of the first floor is mostly the kitchen with the food pantry above it and wine cellar below it. The third floor is for employees to reside. Only select guests are allowed onto that level. This top floor is exclusively for the Partners and guests are not allowed unless accompanied by one of the Partners."

Ruby finally begins eating some of the feast before them. "And how many partners are there, Mr. Patrick?" she asks curiously. Red replies, "Either ten or twelve depending upon how you look at things. The four senior partners each own fifteen percent of the operation. Those four are Jane, Mr. Allister, Mr. Van Horne and myself, Mr. Michael Patrick. Of course, three of those four are all me, but only those here in the room know that for a fact, although I think that my friend Richard may also suspect.

There are eight junior partners, each of whom owns a five percent share. They consist of five of the six men who worked for me before at the Water Hole Saloon, my two main card dealers Isaac Stevens and his sister Marybeth Osborne, and the final partner is my boy Jacob here." Ruby raises her eyebrows and looks at Jake, speechless.

Jake nearly chokes on a bite of food before attempting to compose himself. "I will say that I would jump at the chance to invest with you, I just do not recall wiring you any money. What do I owe you for my share partner?" Red's voice slips into his Irish brogue and he says, "Jacob me boy, ye is like a son to me. You don't owe me anything other than a thank you, after all, it was your example that convinced me to change my lifestyle to establishing some roots. But if it really bothers you I'll take a five percent share in either of your Promise City businesses and we can call it even."

Ruby coughs a little, her eyes still wide. She stumbles over her words, "What example would that be, that inspired you to change your ways, whatever they were before?" Red states, "Ruby, dear Ruby, I had never intended for Tucson to be anything more than a safe house for me to rest between long-term runs as Van Horne. I had already maximized my winnings in six Arizona communities and was going to now expand into New Mexico.

But you two, your happiness....and the chance to speak to Jane. I had stuck close to my plan, never let on as Van Horne that I ever knew Jane's mother....the only woman who I ever truly loved. We both played out our respective roles under Adair's roof and it was nearly the ruin of both of us. This place, this Three Gods Meeting House, it's our destiny."

"Well, thank you father," Jake teases. "Seriously, that is most generous. I accept gladly, but let me think on how I appease my guilt." Jake has a drink and then says, "Uh, speaking of guilt. I saw Wyatt Earp on the train today. Well, that is not exactly correct, I did not see him." Jake then relates the pertinent details of the Earp story. "I do not think he would bother to follow us, and he probably got back on the train headed to Tombstone. The man is clearly Hades bent on his revenge and not thinking clearly, therefore a danger to everyone involved. If I thought that he was a real risk to you we would not have come. I just wanted to make certain you knew about it. If you are at all concerned, we will go back to the hotel and make some other arrangements. We checked in at the Arizona Arms earlier and made a few stops before coming here."

Red laughs and says, "Ah, you had concerns about an invisible gunslinger following you in. Not to worry, there's a reason why the lobby is designed as it is. Some of those stained glass panels are enchanted and will react a certain way if anybody invisible were to try to enter the building. Richard would have noticed had that been the case."

Jane says, "The Arizona Arms you say? Not the best place but not the worst. How many nights did you get the room for?" Jake laughs out loud and motions for Red to not say anything, "Somebody taught me long ago never to pay for more than one night in advance. Just in case you need to leave out an upper story window. Besides, at a dollar a night I think I can afford to not worry about it."

Ruby is quiet for a moment. She continues softly but does not look at Jake, "I believe in destiny too. I guess there is a reason why we had to struggle so much to get to where we are now." The smile slowly comes back to her face. "This place really is great. I guess I got lucky, you know, shacking up with one of the partners," she laughs.

Red says, "Well, this was all Jane's idea. She gets to show the proper respect to the gods but being a Meeting House rather than a Church we are free of the restrictions and supervision of churches. That is just as well, as our priests for each of the three gods have been ordained but none are presently recognized as active priests by the official Greek-Roman hierarchy.

We are also officially a Private Club, for members only. That prevents us from having to admit just anybody inside and also waives us from having to adhere to any Tucson laws regarding public saloons and gambling establishments. We have a number of different levels of membership, the six main ones being Friday night only, Saturday night only, Weekend nights only, Any night, Any afternoon and night and Unrestricted hours. You Ruby will be listed in that last category."

A wide smile creeps across Ruby's face, set off by her rosy cheeks and glittering eyes. "Thanks Red, thanks Janie, it really means a lot to me." She looks back down to her plate, the smile firmly entrenched on her face. She says, "So Red, can we stay here please? The other place is nice and all but I'd much rather stay here with you and Jane... and it's much nicer here. Pleeaaassse," Ruby pleads, giving Red her wide doe eyed look and dazzling smile, "And what are we doing tonight?"

Red answers, "Of course you can stay here. I assume that Mr. Cooke will be willing to let you share his room, but if not you can always use mine." Jane hits his arm. He exclaims, "Owwww, I meant one that I wasn't using, I do have three."

Jane says, "Weeknights are quiet, maybe two or three dozen people tops. If you'd like we can just spend time in the Meeting Hall and perhaps play some games of chance. Or we could just sit under the stars, drink and chat among the four us. Red and I have put some comfortable furniture up on the roof for quiet nights. Tomorrow night things will be busier, around one hundred to one-hundred fifty patrons. You and I can rehearse to perform them. Saturday's are the busiest, upwards to three hundred. After midnight, when it's officially the Holy day, we have services for the gods."

Ruby laughs, "Now Red, if I had only met you before I met Mr. Cook, things might have been different. Lucky for him I already made a promise that I plan on keeping or you might have had a chance of stealing me away."

"I think stargazing and alone time sounds perfect. We don't get too many quiet times anymore at home. And Jane, I'd love to perform with you, that would be fun. Tomorrow we can practice and maybe even shop. You must know some good shops around here. What are the services like? I mean, do you worship all three gods at the same time?

She says, "No, we alternate. I usually let Father Blackstone begin with a short sermon and prayers and then take donations to Hermes. Those who have won at the tables usually give generously and those who haven't also contribute to perhaps have the god's graces the next time. One-third of the money raised in the offerings goes to the Tucson Greek/Roman Church, another third goes to the Meeting House and the final third goes into a trust that we three priests administer as we see fit.

Mister Grappini then gives a sermon to Dionysus, accompanied by complimentary wine to all present and a number of toasts. He selects the wine for each service and his sermon includes a history of that particular wine. By then it is usually around 1:00 A.M.

I then take to the stage, beginning my service with a dance. I alternate between the veil dance that I performed in Promise City and two others that are equally enticing. I then preach of Aphrodite. My three assistants and I then each select a member of the audience who we feel deserves to further experience the love of the Goddess and we head upstairs for the private services. A final collection is then taken by the other two priests and the services end. The Meeting Hall remains open for another hour after that."

Ruby replies, "That sounds like a service I could sit though. Maybe you'll let us, well, me, help? We have a lot to be grateful for, especially from those gods in particular." Jane says, "If you would like you can rehearse with my assistants and participate in the service. I would, however, suggest that the member of the audience who you select to bring upstairs afterwards be Mr. Cook." "I'll consider it," Ruby says with a straight face, trying not to laugh.

"I will try to be extra deserving so the pretty red haired assistant picks me," says Jake with a smirk while talking to Red. "Maybe even put a little something extra in the offering bucket." Jake adroitly moves his chair just enough to put him out of Ruby's arm reach and adds, "Oh, dear, I hope the wrong assistant does not get my offering from the bucket. How embarrassing would that be!"

Ruby's lips also rise into a smirk. "Yes, I can see how that might be embarrassing for you. I, on the other hand, believe I will have no trouble finding another interested companion for the evening, that is, if your offering ends up in the wrong...bucket, Mr. Cook. So perhaps you ought to mind where you put your extra some things."

"Well then, I expect I will have to be extra deserving AND extra mindful as always." Jake smiles neutrally and wipes his lips with the white linen napkin. "I am going to go get our luggage and bring it back here, that way Ruby and Jane can chat some. Then when I return we can retire to the roof. Red, can I talk with you on the way out?"

He replies, "Certainly Jacob me boy, but since Mr. Michael Patrick has never set foot outside of this building and won't while his face still has a price on it, I can only walk you as far as the front lobby." He looks back at the ladies and says "Enjoy your chat, we will see the two of you later."

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Fifteen, “An Unexpected Hero”, Thursday May 25th, 1882: 4:30 P.M.

Kate makes her way around town, seeing that a bucket brigade, using both water and sand, is hard at work attempting to save the Grand Hotel and Restaurant. One exterior wall of the structure is on fire but they are keeping it from spreading and starting to extinguish it.

When she reaches Toughnut Street she proceeds westward, staying on the southern side of the roadway and away from the burning buildings. From the rear she sees that the boarding house where she lived is no more, only a charred burning husk standing where it had been.

She approaches Brown's Hotel. Four men, including a soot-covered and disheveled Conrad Booth, are physically restraining her Father as the eastern wall of the Hotel collapses down onto Fifth Street. Josie sobs loudly as she holds Angela's head, "You...you don't know... maybe he got out..."

One thing registered in Kate's mind as she took in the scene. The one thing that she didn't see. She got down off the horse woodenly and walked with dead eyes toward the cluster of men until she was standing in front of her father. She turned to look at the burning hotel, pieces falling rapidly toward the street and began shouting her brother's name. "He said you didn't abandon us, don't abandon him now," she prayed fervently. "Oh gods, please. I can't do this again. Don't take him from us, please."

A few blocks away, Chester and Clarisse can't find Kate or Conrad and they don't know what her family looks like. "I'm going back out, they'll need my help. Will you be OK here." She answers, "Yes, Chet. Be careful." Chester walks around until he finds the bucket brigade working to save the Grand Hotel. He gets in line to help.

The building that was once Brown's Hotel continues to collapse further. Then to the amazement of the crowd a figure emerges from inside the inferno, staggering out from the east side of the building through an opening where the wall used to be. At first it appears to be a hunched-over ogre, but as he finally starts to exit the thick black smoke they can make out that it is a shirtless man and barefoot man wearing only ripped and tattered pants, the skin on his back now black from soot and ash, hunched over because he is carrying something large and heavy in his arms.

As he walks further from the building he stands and straightens up. The burden in his arms is another man, the arms and legs hanging limp and a ugly gash across his forehead. The bare-chested man's face is now visible and is less soot-covered than his back had been. Many in the crowd recognize him and exclaim his name....Wyatt Earp. Although covered with ash and soot he appears to have no burns or other physical injuries to his now mostly-exposed body.

Kate, Conrad and Frederick recognize the man being carried as Henry, although it is still uncertain if the young man is alive or dead. Earp walks directly towards them and hands the injured man to Frederick who reaches out with both his good arm and hand and the amputated stump of his other arm to take him. Kate sees that her brother is still breathing. He appears to have some minor burns on him and one arm is definitely broken. Earp tells the elder Seagram "A falling beam struck your son's head and side. You need to get him to a physician or priest right way."

Wyatt then turns to his left and looks directly into Kate's eyes. He says in a soft voice that only she, Frederick and Conrad can hear, "Mrs. Kale, nothing can ever replace the loss that my family caused you, but I in good conscious could not allow you to suffer another. Your brother is a very brave man and I hope that he continues to be until a ripe old age.”

Katherine stared silently for a moment, not quite trusting her senses. She blinked, holding back tears. "Thank you," she said. "I.... I'm so sorry about your brothers, I truly am. I never wanted this; I only wanted.... what you just said. Thank you." She was silent again. "We have to take care of my brother. You should go before Behan's people come for you. Good luck, Wyatt."

Josie watches in relief as Henry is carried out, then horror as she realizes it's Wyatt. The thought hadn't occurred to her that he might be inside, even though he would be there at that time looking for her. She longs to run to him but inside drops her head and continues to cry. Finally she looks up at him, tears streaming from her eyes and sobs softly, "Wyatt."

"Miss Marcus" he states as he gestures to the crowd, some of whom are most likely friends of Behan's. Josie averts her eyes and bows her head to keep from getting more upset. She knew they needed distance but it was killing her to be like this. She couldn't run to Wyatt and make sure he was ok, she couldn't even acknowledge their was something between them. Her acting skills had done her well but she wasn't sure how much longer she could go on like this.

Those in the crowd who are Wyatt's friends head forward. One takes a shirt and pair of pants out of a duffle bag and hands it to him. Another removes his boots and passes them over. A third gives Wyatt his leather vest. Another gives Wyatt his hat. He thanks them all.

One man states, "It's great to see you alive Wyatt, but you'd better make yourself scarce before Deputy Sheriff Nagle hears that you are in town. At the mention of the lawman Wyatt reaches for his gunbelt, but instead of drawing his revolver he pokes two fingers in behind it, removing from his holster a folded up $ 100 bill. He states, "What I really need right now Charlie is a good riding horse and saddle." The man takes the money and replies, "I'll go get Chico for you, he'll serve you well."

She turned away as some of the surrounding men came forward and offered clothes to Wyatt. When she'd arrived she'd been blind to most of the scene. Now she saw her father struggling to hold Henry with his one good arm and the elbow-length stump of the other. Conrad's tear-ravaged face now shining with relief but still bearing the shadow of grief and self-inflicted blame. Kate laid her hand against his cheek for a moment then turned to her father. "Maman and Ginnie are with a Priest where they're gathering the townspeople. I'll show you the way."

Kate pulled out the bandages that were always in the pockets of her duster and bound the wound on Henry's head, gently kissing his cheek when the tears finally started. She lifted her eyes and met her father's, like hers full of fear and hope and pain. "Let us help, Papa." Josie looks down to Angela, still lying in her lap, and calls out, "She also needs the doctor as soon as possible. She is injured and with child."

Kate turned toward Miss Marcus and saw her sitting there with Angela. She whistled for Meribel and the horse trotted obediently to her, although she was clearly nervous about the fire. "Conrad, get Papa on Meribel, then get Henry settled up there with him please," Kate said, holding herself together. "Then we'll need you to carry Angela. I have to check on her. Do you hear me, my dear?" She hurried over to Miss Marcus and knelt down to check Angela. Angela appears to be alright although she is still unconscious. Several members of the crowd move forward to help move both her and Henry Seagram to safety.

The man named Charlie arrives with a fine looking Appaloosa horse and well-made western saddle which Wyatt mounts and rides off and away from town. Josie watches with longing as Wyatt rides away. She distracts herself by sticking by Angela's side, following her to the doctor. She will stay with her until she wakes.

The crowd circumnavigates eastward around the fire. Some continue to head north to the two Halls that have been set up for people to go to. Other head over to assist the crowd helping to fight the fire by the Grand Hotel and Restaurant. The firebreak appears to have worked and the borrowed Promise City Fire Wagon is now being hauled on its second trip back from the Mill and Smelter with another load of water.

Kate directed the men to bring Henry and Angela inside the Hall where she'd left Ginnie and her mother. Her father couldn't be dragged from Henry's side, so Kate had to go herself and look for them and the priest they'd come with.

"Jacqueline, where are they?" Kate swallowed and stilled her shaking hands. There was no time to come apart now, she could do that later. "Henry was helping get people out of a hotel and was hurt. He and Papa are here now, but Henry needs care." She looked at the strange priest and stiffened her resolve. "Please Father, if you could he was struck by a burning beam. I have a little skill, but I don't know what to do for this."

The Priest tells Kate that he will do what he can. He checks the arm and decides to get it splinted and properly aligned before he casts a fairly powerful spell which he says was successful but that he should still keep it immobile for several days. The head gash has healed over due to the spell, leaving only a minor scar. Henry remains unconscious.

Kate stayed with her family for a few minutes. There wasn't much talking, instead they focused on Henry and making him comfortable. The time seemed interminable and Kate could feel her own strength wavering. What Wyatt had said, what he had done, her brother laying there still with them. She couldn't stay sitting there anymore.

Kate sees a woman who she recognizes acting in the role of the town nurse, Nellie Cashman. Tombstone had no hospital and the town physician only treated people on an outpatient basis, so Nellie would allow those needing long-term hospitalization to stay at the Miner's Boarding House named Russ House that she operated. On one occasion in early December Nellie had attempted to talk to Kate to help her but at the time Kate was not ready to hear it yet.

Nellie was a true inspiration, she had built up a reputation as being clean, courageous and had an unimpeachable reputation. Here she was again selflessly putting herself to work helping those in need, despite the fact that Russ House was adjacent to Brown's Hotel and was now nothing more than ashes. "I should go help. I'll be back." Kate laid her hand on Conrad's shoulder for a moment, then got to her feet and walked over. "Miss Cashman. I have some minor skill, how can I help?"

Nellie says, "Ah, Mrs. Kale, yes there are five men over there who were injured from flying debris when they dynamited Skanler's Hardware Store. I don't think that any of them are very seriously hurt, but they're talking about going out and beating up those two lawmen for not giving adequate warning. It would be better if they didn't, those two Deputies have enough to worry about at the moment. Remind them that if the lawmen had spent more time the third of the town that's still here would probably now be burning up too."

Kate nodded. "Are there supplies?" she asked, grateful the nurse didn't mention the last time they'd met. Cashman replies, "People have been bringing in a few things. Use as little as you can, it has to stretch. It's piled up over there in the corner." "I understand." Kate went to the pile and picked up a few bandages and a bottle of liquor on a quarter full.

She made her way over to the men Miss Cashman had pointed out. "Alright gentlemen, present your wounds," she said and set about the task of cleaning and bandaging as she listened to their talk and waited for her chance to calm them down. "You know the fire wagon was destroyed," Kate slipped in during a moment of silence. "There was no water to fight with. I watched this fire move from building to building, faster than a runaway horse. The deputies could have spent more time giving warning, but if they had there would be a lot more dead people rather than a few tough men who can handle a few scratches."

Chester comes off the fire line exhausted. The Grand Hotel is safe for now, especially with the fire wagon back. He walks wearily back to the Hall. Clarisse hands him a wet rag to mop his face. "Is it bad?" she asks. "Yep. But we're making progress. The whole town won't go up in flames. Where's water? Fighting fires is thirsty work." She points him in direction of the water barrel. He grabs the ladle and takes a few drinks. Then he looks around for Kate or Conrad.

Angela Young awakens and appears to be alright. She spends the next several hours interviewing a variety of people about both the fire and the Warren Earp funeral, filling several notebooks.

Henry Seagram also awakens and the town doctor checks to make sure there is no other damage. He then gives the young man a sedative to better let him sleep, explaining to the family how that is the best way to help him.

The fire continues to burn through Tombstone for several more hours. The townspeople fight valiantly to keep the eastern third of the city for being burned down, which is somewhat ironic given that much of the eastern part of the city was what had burned in another major fire just eleven-months earlier.

Once Angela was alright and had run off to do her job, Josie became numb. With nothing to currently occupy her time her mind starts to dwell on the events and the terrible feeling in the pit of her stomach. She finds a corner of the auditorium, puts her head in her hands and begins sobbing.

By 8:00 P.M. the sun has set and burning embers can be seen outside of the windows where a large part of the town had been just five hours earlier. The refugees of the fire have set up temporary lodgings within the two halls. Mayor John Carr and Acting Marshall Marshall Williams takes to the stage and gets everybody's attention as Carr begins to speak.

"Hello citizens of Tombstone, As most of you have already heard our Marshall Virgil Earp resigned early this afternoon. Deputy Marshall Williams will serve as Acting Marshall until an election can be held. He has asked former Mayor and former Postmaster John Clum to serve as his Deputy Marshall until further notice." He gestures to Clum, who now steps up onto the stage.

He continues, "The situation in Town is now well under control. For the second time during a crisis in less than a year our own fire wagon was unavailable but we were fortunate that Promise City's Deputy Marshall Chester Martin was in town to pick up their new fire wagon and he generously donated it to our cause." The Mayor gestures to Chester and the audience breaks into a round of applause. Chester starts to object when Carr thanks him for donating the fire wagon. Clarisse grabs his arm. "You deserve it. You did a lot for this place. Just accept it." Chester relents and tips his hat to the crowd.

Carr states, "The fire is mostly out now, but we ask that you remain inside and wait until dawn to check for belongings. A squadron of troops from Fort Huachuca has arrived and will be on patrol this evening to ensure that there is no looting. I can also assure you that the fire did not reach either of the town's two banks so all of your deposits are safe." Many people appear relieved by that.

He continues, "While the Grand Hotel and Restaurant was damaged and no longer open to guests their kitchen is still fully functional and they will be serving supper here for everybody free of charge within the next hour, with Tobin's saloon providing beverages free of charge. Tomorrow morning's complimentary breakfast will be served to you by the Crystal Palace Saloon. I thank all of these business for their generosity. I will now turn this over to Marshall Williams."

The tall man wearing the badge steps forward. "Many of you are concerned about getting messages to loved ones. Before the Western Union building was destroyed by fire we were able to rescue most of the telegraph equipment. Temporary telegraph stations have now been installed near the lines a few hundred yards both north and south of town and are now operational. For the next twenty-four hours each person will be permitted to send a telegram free-of-charge to let those outside of the city know that you are safe. We ask that you conduct this in a safe and orderly manner, waiting patiently for those before you, and that you keep your message to no more than thirty words."

There are many murmurs in the crowd to this news. Williams continues, "As many of you know, I am also the regional manager for the Wells Fargo Company. I have sent telegrams to the Stagecoach offices in both Bisbee and Benson, and dispatched riders to our office in Promise City, asking that all available stages be sent here as quickly as possible. Free passage to any of these three communities will be available for the indefinite future. I expect these stages to be rather tightly packed and again ask for your patience and cooperation." The crowd then begins discussing this.

Williams continues, "I regret to inform you that a considerable amount of the rail yard was damaged. Until it is repaired to allow trains to navigate the turnaround we will be without train service. A repair and maintenance train, with replacement rails and ties, will arrive from Tucson tomorrow. We ask any able bodied men in town to volunteer to help lay this track so that regular rail service can soon resume again."

He gestures for Deputy Marshall Dave Neagle and Circuit Judge William H. Stilwell (no relation to Frank Stilwell) to step forward. The Judge takes the podium and says "During times of crisis it is not unheard of for unscrupulous merchants to prey upon the disadvantaged. The lawmen and I have agreed that we will not allow that to occur here.

We recognize that for the indefinite future demand will exceed supply for many items and that merchants may incur some added transportation costs to get replacement items quickly, so some items may be a bit pricier than usual. However, we are imposing a law for the next month in all of Cochise County that merchants may charge a maximum of no more than 50% more than the standard retail price for any item. Anybody violating that will be subject to immediate arrest and prosecution." The Mayor, Lawmen and Judge then leave to go make the same announcements in the other hall.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Sixteen, “Evening after the Fire”, Thursday, May 25th, 1882, 5:30 P.M.

Despite the doctor's assurances Kate kept stopping by to check on her brother at least once every half-hour, so she was there with her family as the announcements were made. "Someone should send a telegram to Mathias tomorrow. They'll get the news there and he'll be worried. There's no way to know if the General and his friends will arrive tomorrow, or find a way here at all. I'm not sure what to do. And they don't have the telegraph in Promise City, so I can't send a message to let anyone know we're alright. Our stage tickets won't be any good either, so I'm not sure when we can get back to Promise City."

Kate says, "I'm going to go back to helping. All of you make sure to eat when they bring the food in, alright? I don't think there's too many people left who are hurt. Are all of you alright? Do you need anything?"

Each indicated there was nothing they needed, so Kate went back to nursing. Her father and Phillip had also been going through the hall doing what they could while Ginnie and her mother kept a close watch on Henry, although everyone tended to stop back just to assure themselves that he was still alright.

The food came and went, and Kate had a vague recollection of eating something someone had pushed into her hands. Finally she couldn't pretend there was anyone left who needed what help she could give. She cast her eyes around the room looking for anyone she had seen who would know about the train or the stages.

Chester tells Clarisse, "We should try to get on the next stage back. Your cousin will be worried when word gets back to Promise City." Chester finds Kate looking around. "Kate, what's wrong? You look like you've seen a ghost. Is your family OK?" It took Katherine a second to focus and realize who was talking to her. "Chester... yes, they're all fine. Henry was hurt but he just needs to rest now. I, ah... We had tickets for the stage tomorrow but they won't be any good now. And we were supposed to meet some people coming in on the train tomorrow. I don't know who to talk to so I can find out about the train and the stage."

Chester replies, "I'll ask Marshall Williams. He's the manager of the Wells Fargo Office, too. He sent word to Bisbee, Benson, and Promise City to send their coaches here. s far as the train goes, a repair train is coming in from Tucson. I'll find out when service will be back on track. You should go to the telegraph office to get word to your guests. I don't think they'll be able to come in for days."

"Yes, I heard the announcements. They were coming from quite a distance, they'll already be on the train. I don't think we can reach them. If you would find out if our tickets are still any good, and if not if we can get the stage back tomorrow afternoon I'd appreciate it. I'll ask Conrad and Phil to go send Mathias a telegram so he knows we're all safe.” Chester says, "I can do that. But with rides out of town being free, I wouldn't bet on it." Clarisse says, "Can I stay with you for a while, Mrs. Kale?"

"Of course you can Miss Townsend. My family is over there," Kate said, pointing them out. "I'm going to go sit down now. Thank you for helping." She walked back over to where her family were gathered with Conrad and asked, "Has anyone gone to send Mathias a telegram yet? We should do that."

Chester says, "I'm glad you're family's OK. You've done a lot here too. Get some rest. It's been a long day. I'll be back." Chester leaves the Hall to find Williams. He finds the Marshall talking to Newton Gilly. "Hey, Marshall? A bunch of us had tickets for the stage to Promise City in morning. Are they going to be honored or are the rides going to be dealt out differently? And who should I talk to about arriving trains?"

Williams replies, "Just hang onto the tickets, I'll arrange something with Kris Wagner, I've got bigger concerns on my hands now Deputy Martin. As for arriving trains, Tucson won't be sending any other than the maintenance train down the line until after we telegraph them that the rails are fixed. If you're expecting anything it'll probably be held up in Tucson." "Gotcha." Chester stifles a yawn. "Anything I can do?"

Kate tucked herself between Conrad and her mother next to where Henry was lying. "Your father and Philip are waiting to send a message. You need to stay here with us now, Jacqueline. You are working yourself too hard." "I'm staying here now, Maman," Kate said, reaching out her arm and drawing Ginnie to her when the girl moved over to sit closer. "Was it just yesterday we were talking about the incorporation?" she asked rhetorically.

She turns and says, "Are you alright, Conrad? You were in that building too, you're all sooty." He replies, "Don't remind me, but I really didn't have a choice in the matter. I was here to chaperone Mrs. Young, it wouldn't do for me to have allowed her to burn up in a fire.” She says, "Don't sell yourself short, Conrad. I know better than that, you would have gone in for her whether she was your responsibility or not."

He says, “But yes, this is no way for me to present myself in front of your parents. Thankfully Mrs. Young seems to be getting enough information, she's already on her third notebook, so we should be able to set back off in the Buggy for Promise City in the morning. I can then get myself a much needed bath and a pressed suit."

"A bath would be heaven," Kate sighed. "And you present yourself just fine. In case you haven't noticed, none of us are keeping a neat appearance today." She looked over to her mother, distracted in talking to Clarisse for the moment, and she didn't mind Ginnie hearing.

"I saw you outside the hotel. I know it seemed like I didn't but.... I saw you," Kate whispered and brushed her hand against his. Then, back in her normal tone of voice she said, "I'm sorry I couldn't save both the buggies." Conrad replies, "Don't worry about that. Things can be replaced, people can't."

"No, they can't," she said quietly and looked at her brother. All day she had avoided thinking about this, but now there was nothing else to do. Too much had happened too fast. But Henry was still here, and now she finally had the one thing she hadn't even known she still wanted. Now she could put the past behind her. Truly behind. She didn't even realize she had begun sobbing until her mother's arms slipped around her. She was still crying when her father and Phillip returned and after a time fell into a fitful sleep curled up between Phil and Conrad.

After her good cry Josie picks up her bag and walks out into the street, looking around for information about the stages that would be leaving tomorrow. She wanted, no she needed to get out of Tombstone. Her first stop is the Wells Fargo Office. She finds the office still intact but closed with a note saying to see Marshall Williams over at either Schieffelin Hall or Turn Verien Hall. With a sniffle she wanders over to Turn Verien Hall, hoping the Marshall would still be there. Josie Marcus arrives at the Hall and finds Marshall Williams.

She patiently waits her turn to see the Marshall. She wipes the tears from her eyes and stands tall, putting a small smile on her face. "Marshall Williams? I'd like to find out about getting on one of the stages as soon as possible, getting back to Promise City. I'd very much like to." She hangs her head. "I need to be out of Tombstone."

He tells her that stages for Bisbee and Benson have already left but that they will be back for another load at around 5:00 AM, and that he also expects a stage from Promise City to be arriving sometime between midnight and 1:00 AM that will be leaving to return there around 2:00 AM.

Josie nods, "I'd like to be on it, please, whatever time it is." Marshall Williams nods and says to meet at the Wells Fargo office at 2 am. Josie thanks him and quietly head back to the theater where she clutches her bag to herself takes a seat.

While earlier that day back in Promise City, Nanuet is continuing his conversation with the ice house owner’s daughter Liza Brown. He mentions that he plans on seeing what kind of voice the non-humans have and that he thinks Kate plans on working for the woman's say in matters. "Thanks for the chat. Maybe sometime I can speak to your fiancé about things, he is an important man around here, I bet he could help see that Dorita and Pedro have a voice. Thanks for the ice, I'll be seeing you."

Nanuet takes his leave from the ice house and heads back to the church cottage looking for Minerva. Not finding her there he heads over to Ruby and Jake's house to check on things, then heads to the Lucky Lady seeing how things are going there and spends some time playing with and training the dogs.

Meanwhile, Minerva makes her way over to the bank and finds Frank Condon busily shuffling papers at his desk. "Buenas Dias, Senor Condon. It is a lovely day in Promise City.," she smiles brightly as she holds out her hand to him, palm down. "and how is business?" she queries politely as she takes a seat before his desk and pulls off her gloves. "I would like to make another deposit into the church account. The parishioners have been quite generous in their support." She continues to smile as she pulls a large bag of money from her tapestry bag and places it on his desk. "Which is very good for both of our business is it not?"

She shifts in her seat and leans forward a bit, gentle concern in her eyes. “Senor, I must ask you a rather personal question. Por Favor, do no not take offense, but for the good of the church I must know the answer and I find that it is best to be direct in these matters. Do you not agree?" she continues to smile politely.

"Senor Condon, With all of the changes that will soon be occurring in Promise City it is imperative that the gods' Will be done. You have shown yourself to be a gods fearing man. You attend services regularly, take an active role in the community and have been quite generous in your financial support of the Church. As such I am sure that you KNOW that it is the gods' Will that the Church of Olympus embrace men and women of ALL races.. The gods are calling upon you to be their voice and I must know if you intend to honor them when it is time to cast your vote."

He looks her square in the eye and says, "And how is it that you know the gods of Olympus feel equally about all races? I do not recall reading that in any of the church's texts. The Church has a long history of treating humans as the superior race. Back in the days of slavery they remained silent on that issue, a clear proclamation from either Rome or Athens about slavery could have saved this country a considerable amount of bloodshed."

She replies, "Senor, Do you question my authority? Churches are not gods. I speak for the gods. They have made their will known to me. I am the Pastor of the Church of Olympus. As such I require a direct response to my question. I am not asking you to support the church, I am asking if you Will honor the GODS in your vote."

Frank Condon replies, "I will give the issue considerable thought and prayer, how could I do otherwise? Consider this though Priestess, are you sure that you are being led in this belief by the gods or your own personal feelings towards that Indian friend of yours?"

She answers, "The Will of the gods was made clear to me long before my arrival in Promise City, Senor Condon. They made clear to me, the dire consequences that result from bigotry and inequality long before they led me to this town and Senor Nanuet." she stands tall looking every inch the faithful priestess with her regal bearing and clear untroubled eyes. "Si I am certain that I do their bidding."

She smiles congenially. "It is a wise man that disregards his personal feelings and open's his heart to the gods. Be sure that you do so when you pray for their guidance and I am sure that you will honor their Will. I look forward to discussing this matter with you after you have had time to reflect. and then we shall work together for their glory, Senor." Buenas Dias, and may the gods hold you safely in their hands until we meet again."

Once he is done working with the dogs Nanuet decides to get some more work done in the afternoon. He heads back to the section of town where the El Parador in search of Qualtaqa. He walks into the main building and speaks with whomever from the staff that is present. "Good afternoon everybody. Does anyone know where Qualtaqa is? I have some business to discuss with him."

Nanuet gets directions and manages to find Qualtaqa is found a quarter-mile to the southeast, where he has set up an improvised exercise track for him to run and practice using his weapons without bothering the townspeople. Nanuet watches the centaur do his exercises from a distance before approaching. "Hail friend, I would like to speak with you about a few things."

Nanuet makes his way over to the magnificent creature and talks to him regarding his feelings about non-human representation in the town as well as his interest in the ranch. "Are you living here full time now? What do you think about us non-humans having a say in the local policies? Is it something worth putting up a fight for and do you think we will have enough troops to pull it off?"

Qualtaqa states, "I will live here for as long as Geronimo needs for me to. My friends live here too, so I am comfortable. I would not presume to speak to issues of local politics although I will also speak for peace between the Elvan and Human nations, as I've had the occasion to do in the past. As for 'troops' I assume that you speak in war terms figuratively and not literally. I for one would prefer that Geronimo not hear of this matter, as he would see it in a negative way."

Nanuet replies, "Yes I am speaking figuratively. In no way do I intend there to be any sort of violence. I understand your concerns in regards to Geronimo. I personally am concerned about non-humans having their voice taken away and being lowered in status to nothing more than a slave, forced to do whatever an all human group decides is best for them. I will be talking to as many of the non-humans in the area as I can to gauge their sentiments and willingness to stand up for their rights. I respect your leadership ability so I wanted to involve you as early in the process as possible.”

He pauses and then continues, “There is another matter which has come to my attentions recently. As you know I am part owner of a ranch nearby. My attentions have been drawn elsewhere and I am unable to dedicate the time required to the ranch. I have been told that you may be interested in the ranch. I still have to talk things over with my other partners but I wanted to open that dialogue as well."

Qualtaqa replies, "I am familiar with this parcel that you speak of. I have spoken to an Apache woman of it, she has befriended your dwarven partner. I have never considered owning land, for I do not truly believe that the land can be owned by mortals, however that appears to be the recognized custom of the humans so I if wish to live alongside them I should learn to adapt to their ways. I will consider it."

Nanuet nods to the centaur "Good, then I shall talk further with my partners and we can have another discussion on the topic at a later date. I will take my leave of you now, good day." Nanuet leaves and heads back to the town trying to figure where he will head next.

After a long period of meditation he eventually makes his way back into town. He goes to the El Parador and spends the afternoon there talking to the various wood elf and dwarven patrons that arrive for lunch and dinner about the importance of standing up for their rights.

He and Minerva both spend the evening at the Lucky Lady. It is a quiet night until Wells Fargo employees arrive at around 9:30 with announcements about the Tombstone fire. Niles Hoover is told that the Promise City Merchant's Association will be holding a meeting at 7:00 AM to address how the Tombstone situation will impact Promise City. Nanuet becomes uneasy with the news.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Seventeen, “Talking with friends”, Thursday, May 25th, 1882, 5:00 P.M.

Once they are out of earshot of the ladies Jake says, "Well that answers one of my questions already, how much does Jane know. I did not wish to reveal any secrets you may still be clinging to. Let me know what she should NOT know about if anything. The other question is the same one I had in Promise City but decided not to ask it; when did you first meet Jane's mother? If I am like a son is she like my sister?"

Jake stops their walking and looks him in the eye. "Like always you will make me guess, and my guess is no that you are NOT Jane's father. Most people would assume that if you were her father, that would complicate things. However, I know better. Things here are very complicated, are they not you old besotted Irishman?"

Red says, "No, I am not Jane's father, she was twelve when I first met Jane's mother Amalie in Chicago. That was by far not the right age to be living in a brothel, both younger and older are okay but not for girls whose bodies are just starting to change. So Jane was sent away to live with relatives for a few years. Amalie was fraught with guilt and sadness over not having her precious daughter around.

Many years later when you and I reached Kansas City I found my Amalie again. I had never forgotten her. Jane was nineteen and working there with her mother. I never brought you with me there because....well....I was afraid you'd see me and Amalie together and tell me some unpleasant truths.

It all but killed me to see how shabbily Adair treated Jane and I swore that I would do what I could to help the girl. She's done a remarkable job with this Meeting House, and it's nice to have somewhere that I can finally show my real face. But there are times that I am overwhelmed by this place. I retreat next door to the old Water Hole and hide out in my safe room, just staring at my paintings."

"Errr, they are nice paintings," Jake rubs his neck and looks a bit uncomfortable. "Perhaps it is not in my nature to worry so much about details like that. I just sort of do what comes naturally, whatever that is." They start walking again but in silence. They get to the door and Red stops.

Jake tells him, "I may not be the wisest man, partner, but it seems to me it is not the meeting house which overwhelms you. You told me you want some of what I have. I wonder if you are having trouble deciding whether you care for Jane as a daughter, or as a woman." Jake runs a hand through his hair and settles his flat brimmed black hat upon his head. "I will be back in a little while. I cannot put into words how good it is to see you again." Uncharacteristically, Jake gives the Irishman a hug.

Red hugs him back and says, "I'm glad you're here, I've needed somebody to talk to. Jacob me boy, the real problem isn't my feelings towards her, it's hers towards me. I was deeply in love with Jane's mother but she did not feel the same...I'm not sure if a Priestess of Aphrodite really can. The person that Jane brings upstairs after the service...Jane doesn't choose him or her, the Goddess does...Jane is drawn to a specific individual. And up until now I haven't been chosen. And the truth is, even if she did choose me once, that might just make matters worse thereafter."

"And I thought I was the one that got into complicated messes," Jake says and gives him a little bit of a smile. "I for one could not stomach my woman taking other men to her bed, religious ceremony or not. I do not know how in Hades to figure that part out. In my case, Ruby will always be Ruby and will always be a flirt for men's attention. As long as it does not cross a line, I must learn to live with it.

If I was in your shoes, it would all come down to a relatively simple but difficult to answer question. If you want her, and want her badly enough, then the worst thing that can happen is to not do everything you can to make you two a couple. If you think the hurt of trying to make it work and failing is worse than looking in the mirror for the rest of your life and wishing you had tried harder.... Well then, she is not the one for you and settle for giving me a step sister." Jake gives him a smirk, "Otherwise, you should be wooing the woman you love. I hear tell a little bit of indulgence towards Aphrodite herself might be a helpful thing too. You are the most masterful opportunistic scheming conniver I have ever met; if there is a way you will find it. You just need to decide you want it bad enough."

Red says, "Jacob me boy, ye gives this tired old man much to think about. I will see you soon enough. Would you like for one of my men to go with you?" He replies, "Jake Cook never turns down an extra hand when there is lifting to do." After a good laugh he finishes with, "Besides it will get me back quicker, avoiding all that bellyaching on the way here with luggage." Red goes and gets a man who he introduces to Jake as Francesco Fracanzani, another junior partner.

After Jake and Red leave Ruby stands next to Jane. "So, why don't you show me what the rooms look like and while you do you can tell me how you like it here?" Ruby smiles down at Jane and offers her hand to help her up. Jane begins by showing Ruby to Jake's room which is fifteen-foot square and nicely furnished with an oak four-posted bed, matching dresser and nightstand, table and pair of chairs. A maroon and navy braided circular rug is on most of the floor with matching curtains over the windows.

Ruby asks, "This is really nice," she says hopping on the bed, running her fingers over the soft bedspread, "But you didn't answer my question. Is something wrong Jane?" Jane replies, "Yes and no. This place is wonderful, like a dream come true. The only problem is with Michael....Patrick....Red. He's been a perfect gentleman...too much so. Maybe it's because he was my mother's lover, but he shows no interest in being anything more than friends and business partners."

"Oh?" Ruby sits up straight in the bed and stops playing with the spread. "And you want more than friends or business partners?" She replies, "I honestly don't know, this is confusing. I've never had a man who I was close to and not intimate with." Ruby replies, "I know what you mean. Until recently that is anyway."

"Well, he might be thinking of you like a daughter, since he did have a relationship with your mother and you are, I think Jake's and my age." Ruby shrugs, "Is it such a bad thing to have a man look after you and not, you know... look after you? You have to decide if you really want something else with him before you get upset about it. But it is soon too, maybe just let some time pass and see what happens?" Jane replies, "I suppose you're right. It is so good to have you here Ruby to talk with."

Ruby smiles, "I missed you too Jane." She pauses, and picks at some unseen fuzz on the blanket. "My friends at home, they aren't like us, they're different." She continues quickly, "I mean, it's good they are different... they just can't understand. They don't know about the things I've done or things we've been though. I guess it's better that way but it makes it hard for me to talk to them about stuff, stuff I know you know about. Anyway..." she lifts her face and smiles, "I missed you too."

"Red seems like a real nice guy who has your best interests at heart. Look at all he's done for you," she waves her arm around. "He really cares about you, one way or the other. It's never bad to have a man like that on your side, you know? Having that is new for me too so I understand why you are confused. But it's something I'm sure you don't want to lose." Ruby swings her legs like a schoolgirl off the edge of the bed. "So, tell me about this ceremony of yours. Is it everything you've always wanted to do? Does Aphrodite tell you want to do or do you decide?"

Jane replies, "I pray to the Goddess during the dance and ceremony. She enables me to better connect with the audience. Most of the men just have selfish intentions, motivated by pure lust rather than love. The Goddess lets me see through that, to see those who really have love in their hearts. I find the person who I am feeling most connected with and this is who I share the love with." Ruby ponders for a few moments. "Wow, that is really cool. I wonder what would happen if I did that too."

Jane says, "I haven't trained you in that, and you might not care for the result. The Goddess may connect you with somebody other than who you expect, somebody very young, very old, very ugly or possibly of the same gender. Some of my acolytes still need help with this aspect too, motivated by their own desires rather than the Goddess. I try to watch out for all us during the performance and sure that each of them have a solo dance as part of the routine for me to help identify possible people in the audience."

Ruby nods. "I understand. I was just curious. The goddess has already shown me she wants me and Jake to be together. Anyway, I didn't ask him if he minded I helped you yet he may not want me to. He didn't like the last time I danced in public. But no matter I will definitely perform with you tomorrow night."

She looks into her friends eyes. "I just want you to be happy Jane, and it seems like you are happy here. And it sounds like you are doing what you should be doing." "I wonder, maybe you can give Jake and I a blessing or something? Do you do that? I try to honor the goddess the only way I know how but maybe coming from you it would be better." Jane replies, "I am certain that before you leave I will have an opportunity to show you blessings from the Goddess, as will my two fellow priests at the Meeting Hall." Ruby leans over and hugs Jane tightly. "Yes, we are going to enjoy ourselves and have so much fun! I love vacation, especially one with friends so special."

After Jake Francesco head off Francesco says, "Last time you were here Blackstone and I were doing the external security, watching the Water Hole from a distance, so we were never introduced. It is a pleasure to finally meet your Mr. Jacob, or if you prefer, Mr. Cook of the Lucky Lady." He replies, "Does everyone know that, or only the most clever of you?" Jake's tone is cordial and non-threatening.

He replies, "None of the senior partners have said anything, but my specialty is security. I found out that after you left Tucson you returned to Promise City. My first cousin Anthony Corleone lives there and I wrote to him asking about you. He wrote me back, telling me a great deal about both you and Miss. West."

They get to the Arizona Arms and Jake ceases the conversation on that topic until they retrieve the luggage. On the way back to the meeting house Jake starts it up again. "So many questions you raise when you tell me things like that. Did your cousin also tell you I am a bit paranoid? So, Francesco, I do not recall your cousin. Do I know him? What does he do in Promise City? And what pray tell, is your cousin saying about Jake Cook and Ruby West?"

Francesco gives him an odd look and says, "What does he do? Anthony works for you! He says you even chose the name Lucky Lady to help promote his gambling name, that he's the saloon's top gambler. Most of his letter talks of Miss. West and her beauty. I must say that have to agree, she is quite breathtaking."

"You bring to mind that I have been incredibly lax with checking out my employees," Jake nearly groans. "I inherited Tony from the previous owners." Jake is silent for a minute and the laughs. "So your cousin thinks he is a better poker player than the owners does he? I am not surprised. For the record Francesco, your cousin is only right about one thing, that Ruby West is the most desirable woman for thousands of miles around. The Lucky Lady is named after her. There are times when I want to sit Mister Lucky down at a poker table, show him who really knows how to play poker and then take him out back and show him who knows how to handle a Colt."

Jake laughs again, "Fortunately for Tony, that mood passes. The other senior partners here tend to be very thorough with their choice of trusted employees. Therefore I suspect you are better at security than your cousin is at poker. I would most appreciate knowing if he starts shooting his mouth off saying things that would be detrimental to Miss West or myself. Sometimes Tony gets carried away."

He replies, "Mr. Cook, I am assuming that you will be accepting Mr. Patrick and Mr. Allister's generous offer of junior partner. That will make us business partners, and you can rest assured that the security of my partners is my highest concern. As for Anthony, he has always been the 'blacksheep' of the family. My Uncle Vito Corleone, Tony's Father, has asked me to keep a close eye on him while we are both here in Arizona. But the one-hundred miles distance between us is quite frankly as close as I choose to get to him. I have told him nothing about the Three Gods Meeting House, nor do I intend to. As far as Tony knows I work here as the bodyguard for a local banker."

"Good enough Francesco, I will not hold your relationship with Tony against you." Jake replies humorously. They arrive back at the meeting house and haul the gear inside. "Thanks for the help." They get the bags and head back to the Three Gods Meeting House.

Upstairs at the Three Gods Meeting Hall Ruby says, "Hey, guess what? Jake and I bought a house together. Can you believe it?" Jane replies "A house? I thought you enjoyed living at the Lucky Lady." She answers, "I did. But certain unpleasant circumstances arose from us living there. I don't want to get into all that, but I'll give you one example. Someone tried to blow up the Lucky Lady because he hates me. And Jake. And although I've never said this to Jake, I just couldn't bare it if the other innocent people who lives there were hurt because of me." Ruby shrugs. "So we bought a house. I know, how domestic of me. But so far I really like it."

Jane's face grows angry and she says, "I'll kill him!" Ruby states, "Whoa, whoa... calm down. I am guessing you think it was your old boss? That particular incident was not, but rather a member of the Cowboy Gang who has since departed this world. Although..." Ruby taps her lips, "That jerk, and I am so glad you got away from him sweetie, did try to burn the Lucky Lady once, and it was full! We caught his lackey, knocked him out and left him in a pigpen." Ruby giggles, "That part was funny anyway. And then once he shot at Jake and me too but I bet you already heard that story. We're biding our time with that man."

Jane says, "Ruby...please...never underestimate Evan Adair. He has promised to kill you and he's not likely to change his mind. Probably the only thing that's kept him from it is that Deputy living upstairs at the Lady." Ruby sighs again, this time unhappily. "I hadn't thought about this in a while, we've been so busy. And to think about it on vacation..."

She shakes her head. "I don't know what we can do about it. Jake and I were working on something but... Have any ideas?" she asks sheepishly. Jane says, "Yes, let me talk to Red about it. There might be ways to better increase the security around the Lady."

"I would appreciate that Jane. Sometimes I feel like I'm so alone and everyone is out to get me, all this revenge crap all the time." Ruby pulls her hair off her face and forces a smile, which momentarily turns genuine. "Enough if this nonsense, should we prepare for our evening under the stars?" "Oh yes, follow me upstairs."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Eighteen, “A Rooftop Dinner”, Thursday, May 25th, 1882, 6:00 P.M.

Jane takes her to the end of the corridor where a rope hangs down from the ceiling along the wall. The rope has a loop at the end and she tugs on it. Part of the ceiling begins to descend, ending at a forty-five degree angle with a staircase heading further up. They walk up. The 60x100 foot flat roof is covered with tin, with a 30x50 foot canvas tarp in the center and large shapes in the center of the tarp. The tarp ends at a long wooden beam parallel the roof with a crack on the side. Jane unhitches two latches where the tarp is fastened to the roof on the opposite side as the beam. She says to Ruby, "Okay, crank it back," gesturing to the handle on the side of the beam.

Ruby is a little uncertain but does as Jane asks anyway. She gently pulls the handle back and watches curiously to see what will happen. A canvas tarp of that size must weigh close to 500 pounds and yet as Ruby turns the crank it beings to effortlessly roll up around the beam just as one would rolling up a bedroll. As it pulls back from the roof it exposes a 20 by 40 foot plush carpet of an emerald green color.

Sitting atop the carpet are pieces of nice furniture, all made of oak and a light tan leather with a considerable amount of padding between the wood and leather. The furniture consists of a twin-sized bed, three reclining couches, two plush chairs, and an end table beside each. Two wooden buckets upon tripods, obviously made to hold ice and beverages, sit between the furniture. A rectangular coffee table with a glass covered case holding cut-glass crystal glasses finishes the ensemble. The only other item is a fancy brass telescope.

Ruby's eyes widen and her mouth drops open at the scene before her. It takes a moment before she can speak and when she does her words come out in a stammer. "I... uh... this..." she points to the furniture, "Unbelievable... how did you..." she just shakes her head in wonderment, staring. "I love the stars," she manages to get out.

Jane says, "We keep it covered when we aren't using it so that it doesn't get dirty and dusty, or wet during the rare rain shower. Red and I come up here a few nights every week. Part of why we wanted the building to be so large is to block some the city lights below, and after midnight when most of the city has gone dark the stars are remarkable."

"It's perfect, it's beautiful. I would be up here every night! " Ruby says, getting her power of speech back. She gazes up into the sky, "I love watching the stars, there is something wondrously and romantic about them, always watching down on us from the heavens. So full of beauty and no matter what they never change. Jake and I have a place we go to see the stars, out of town, but we don't get there as often as I would like."

Jake and Francisco arrive back at the meeting house and haul the gear inside. Jake says, "Thanks for the help." Jake deposits their bags in his new room and goes about looking for senior partner Mr. Patrick. He finds Mr. Patrick downstairs in the kitchen talking to the chef. Jake lets him finish his business with the chef before suggesting they head off to find the ladies.

Red checks with some of his partners and says, "They were last seen heading up to the roof. Let's grab a few bottles of Kentucky Bourbon and a bucket of ice and go join them." Jake nods and follows Red to the roof. As soon as Ruby notices Red and Jake's heads peek up the stairs she runs over. Grabbing Jake's hand she pulls him to one of the soft reclining couches. "Can you believe this?" she says excitedly. Red pours the contents of the ice bucket into the two containers. He says, "They will bring us up some food in the hour, along with some champagne for later." "How wonderful," Ruby replies dreamily.

"You know," she glances over at Red, "You're going to have a hard time getting rid of us." He replies, "Why do I have to get rid of you? Seems to me your boyfriend owns part of it." She waits for Jake to sit on a reclining couch before sitting in front of him and snuggling back into him. She holds her glass of bourbon up in front of her face and looks though it. "He is more than my boyfriend, he is the love of my life," she says simply.

Jane says, "It is good that Aphrodite sought to bring the two of you together. How exactly was it that you first met?" Jake says, "Ruby and her friend Katherine saved me from the rapacious conversational skills of one halfling newspaper man. I was in a sorry state, quite hung over from the new years celebration." Ruby furrows her brows, while looking up at Jake. "What does rap-cious mean?" Jake replies, "Let us say that Chumbley has an insatiable appetite for making people suffer through his constant lip flapping."

Ruby smiles up at Jake then looks back at Jane. "Yes, Chumbley is quite talkative. But we needed to speak with him that day and there Jake was, sitting with Chumbley. What a mess he was," Ruby smiles fondly. "Hung over and all raggedy. But I saw something I guess. She giggles, "More trouble than I ever imagined."

She looks back up at Jake. "I didn't know you celebrated New Years. I didn't, didn't have anything TO celebrate. What did you do that night?" Jake replies, "I just joined in at the fun going on at the Gay Lady on New Years Evening. I played some poker, enjoyed the entertainment, danced, drank a boat load of whiskey, um, you know that sort of thing." "With who Jake?" Jake feels Ruby try to fight her body from getting tense.

Jake raises an eyebrow and says, "I went there by myself, dearest Ruby, because I had not the fortune yet to meet you. Now, are you going to ask me what I did there and every time I got blisteringly drunk at a saloon during my lifetime? I assure you after fifty of so of those stories it would get dull and tedious."

Ruby drinks down her bourbon. "You know that isn't what I was asking." She stands from her comfortable seated position and walks to the bucket, slowly pouring herself another. She looks into her glass before looking at Jane and Red, "I'm insanely jealous, I can't help myself when it comes to Jake. He doesn't like me asking about it though. Of course he must realize how devastating it would be for me to find out from whomever the lucky lady was that night or any other in Promise City about his life before me."

She takes the bottle of bourbon and tops everyone's glass off before returning to the couch. She sits on the edge, guessing Jake will be mad now that she isn't able to keep her jealousy under control and hoping she hasn't ruined the evening.

Jake pulls her back to her previous comfortable position. "All the other women I may have met seem to be fading from my memory. Might as well, since they cannot compare to my Ruby. Now, can we go back to enjoying the fine evening?" One corner of Ruby's lips rise into a smirk. "I suppose if you keep buttering me up eventually one day I will forget you had a life before me." She reaches back and pulls Jake's face towards her, kissing him deeply.

Moments go by before they are interrupted by the staff bringing up dinner. "Oops," Ruby blushes, "Sorry. I hope we didn't embarrass you guys." Red and Jane both laugh at that. "It would take a lot more than that to embarrass either of us," Jane exclaims. Ruby relaxes as she pulls her feet off the couch. "Is that a dare?" she laughs. "This looks great," she says, handing Jake his plate. "And I have decided it's a champagne kind of night!" She says pouring herself one. "Anyone else?"

Red lies back on one of the reclining couches and says, "Now Jacob me boy, tomorrow we'll have to pay a visit to my lawyer and make it official. You just have to decide if you want your public name here to be Cooke, Jacob or something else altogether. My attorney will keep your real name confidential no matter what you decide."

Jake says, "I am certain there is a good reason to keep my identity masked, but I cannot for the life of me think of one. I have been more concerned about someone following me to find you. If you are no longer worried about that, then let it be Cooke. I only use one face anyway. As it is, your Francesco knows who I am. Seems he is cousin to our Tony "Lucky" Corleone."

Red is actually taken by surprise at that piece of information. "Really? Gads, it is a small world. I'd have never guessed, although come to think of it, I did know that they were both Sicilian. Sorry Jake, I'd have forewarned you if I even suspected. By the way, why haven't you fired that Tony Lucky yet? He's one of the worst gamblers I ever played against. I didn't even need to cheat to clean him out."

Jake answers, "No particular reason. The devil you know and all that. We will be adding faro soon and moving some of the more serious poker upstairs, leaving Tony down stairs. He does bring in some money, and I suppose if all the dealers were sharks our lower end clients would migrate away. Mostly because I have neglected the place with all the trouble we have had in the last few months." "Yeah," Ruby adds, "And I don't like the way he looks at me."

Three of the employees of the Meeting House arrive up on the roof. One puts a bottle of champagne into one ice bucket and a bottle of white wine in the other. Another has a large tray with four covered silver plates which he places on the coffee table. The third has a smaller tray with assorted desserts which he places on the coffee table.

The three of them leave. Red removes the silver cover over one of the plates, revealed a rib-eye steak, baked potato, butternut squash and freshly baked cranberry-honey muffin. He sets his plate on the coffee table beside his coach and helps pass out the other meals, each of which has the same. He asks Jane to say a blessing before they dine. She does so, keeping it short.

Red, Ruby, Jake and Jane are finishing up their dessert when Red's man Richard hastily makes his way up to the roof. He announces, "We just got word, Tombstone is on fire. The 4:30 train barely got away before the train depot went up. The train had over 100 refugees and they say that half the town was ablaze, and that was two hours ago."

Red goes over to the telescope and repositions it to the southeast. He says, "Hmmm, that's around seventy miles away but....there" He steps back to let the others look. A solid plume of dark smoke can be seen on the horizon, and once they know exactly where to look it can even be discerned with the naked eye.

Ruby takes a look through the telescope. "Wow, I wonder what happened? I guess better Tombstone than Promise City." She shrugs, "I hope that nice dress store didn't burn down." She quietly looks out across the land, watching the smoke rise before another thought invades her mind. She looks at Jake, with only slight worry on her face, "You think our friends are okay?"

Jake replies, "I would expect so, since it did not happen in the middle of the night. That should have allowed most folks to know what was happening and get out. No help we could extend from here, it would take us too long to get there. These western towns are just tinderboxes waiting to go up." Jake looks into the telescope, "I will be surprised if there is anything close to half the town left after that. Be a good time to be in the lumber business though...." Jake glances at Red for a moment.

"Mierde," he states simply. "Quite a hot welcome for Katherine's family. If Earp was indeed on the train back to Tombstone and looking for a distraction to get to someone he could not ask for a better one." Jake pauses and then turns to Ruby, "To whom did you send your telegram? Did it need to make the stage?"

"I sent it to Katherine. I thought she would get the references and immediately get it to who it needs to get to. Yeah, I think it would need to be on the stage, we don't have a telegraph in Promise City." A worried look again crosses Ruby's face. "What should I do? Send another one, just in case?"

Jake says, "The poles may have burned or there may not even be a telegraph office in Tombstone right now. Katherine was in Tombstone but I suppose a telegraph operator would not know that. I would guess that business as usual will not be the order of the day in Tombstone tomorrow. Short of sending a courier with a letter, I am out of ideas."

Ruby looks Jake in the eyes. "Should I be really worried right now? Or should I hope that Mr. Gonzales can take care of himself and would be smart enough to also take care of Madge? Either that or we get some horses and ride home."

Jake answers, "Oh, Gonzalez will be fine. Earp does not even know to look for him because of the disguise. It is Madge that we might worry about. I would doubt that Earp will actually harm her, but he might scare her into telling him where to find her teacher. No, I do not think we should go running back there straight to Madge. If Earp sees that he will then start to suspect some conspiracy with everyone. If Wyatt Earp is bent on going straight to Promise City and confronting her, there is nothing we can do about it." Jake shrugs. "Check to see if the telegraph is working in the morning? Send a letter to someone else in Promise City? We ought to be back in Promise City before any voting that may happen Monday night anyway. I know you feel like we ought to do something, but I surely do not know what that something is. "

Ruby sips at her champagne and is quiet for what seems like a long time for her. Finally she says, "You are right, there isn't anything we can do. I don't think he'd hurt Madge and Josie is staying there too, so she would make sure that hothead doesn't do anything stupid. We will check the telegraph in the morning. In the meantime," she raises her glass, "We should enjoy ourselves. Our friends are resourceful and are fine I'm sure. Let's not ruin our vacation, although I might need some distraction. Anyone think they can help with that?" she laughs.

Jake stares off at the red glow in the distance. "Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Probably because there was nothing else to do about it. Let no one say Silver Jake Cook fiddled while Tombstone burned." With that he drains his glass of champagne. "Stick to what you know best. I for one will make a valiant attempt to keep your mind far away from there," he says while refilling their glasses. "Here is to a pleasant evening and a bright future."

Ruby looks at Jake with furrowed brows. "What in Hades are you talking about, fiddling?" She shakes her head and laughs. "No wait! Don't explain, some things I don't want to know." She raises her glass and clinks it against Jake's, Red's and Jane's. "To a more than pleasant evening and the brightest future for all of us, full of love and happiness."

The four of them enjoy a pleasant evening on the roof of the Three Gods Meeting House. They tactfully ignore the red glow in the distance, or at least no one brings it back to their conversation. After the food is gone, the drinking continues between light conversation and the sharing of stories. Eventually they make plans for tomorrow and say their good nights. Jake and Ruby retire to the his room and spend some time with one of their favorite hobbies, testing beds.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Nineteen, “I have a dream”, Thursday, May 25th, 1882, 9:30 P.M.

Nanuet pulls Minerva aside and begins talking in a fast pace rather than his usual even, measured tones. "All of our friends went to Tombstone, what are we going to do? Are they OK? We have to go, but I can't go, I have to watch the Lucky Lady and the house, and the dogs. I can't do nothing. I wonder if Jake and Ruby made it out of town before the fire started, but if they did then that would mean that Kate's whole family was in Tombstone during the fire. And Kate is... well you know... with child and all."

Minerva listens to Nanuet rant for a few moments before putting a comforting hand on his chest and speaking softly. "Mi Amor, you need to practice some of that patience you keep preaching to me. Slow down and let's see if we can get more information and make an informed decision."

Nanuet nods and says "You are right, we need more information. I need to take a deep breath."

Nanuet looks around for the Wells Fargo employee. If he sees him there he will get him a drink and approach him. He asks him several questions including the time of the fire compared to the time the train would have left for Tucson as well as if he knows Jake, Ruby, Kate and Chester and any of their conditions.

The Wells Fargo employee, Billy Glass tells Nanuet that the Stagecoach will be leaving for Tombstone within a few minutes if he wants to board it. "Can you hold on just a minute Mr. Glass, I'll be right back."

Nanuet runs over to Niles to ask if he is needed at the Lucky Lady. "Everybody was in Tombstone when that fire happened, Ruby and Jake, Kate, Chester, Ginnie, Conrad Booth and others. I know Ruby asked me to help keep an eye on things, but I am worried something may have happened to them. If you can spare me I'd like to go and see if they are OK." Niles says that things are under control and between him, Maria, Harry and Thom they should be able to handle a pair of overactive puppies.

Nanuet hurries off to the Wells Fargo barn where Newton Gilly and Chuck Nevers are just about to leave. He quickly convinces them to let him on board and introduces him to the other two passengers, Martin Verth and Larry Colgan, who both work for the Wells Fargo Office in Tombstone. The two had spent the last four hours riding non-stop from Tombstone and their horse are too tired for the return trip so they are riding back instead.

Nanuet asks Minerva to keep an eye on Ruby and Jake's new house and grabs some money and other belongings before running to the stage. Once on board he pesters the other passengers for any news regarding the timing of the outgoing train to Tucson and any news about the others.

The men tell what they know of the fire, although when they left it was still raging so are unable to give him too much detail. They say that while the fire was spreading fast there appeared to be time for people to evacuate the buildings, albiet without most of their possessions.

The Wells Fargo Stagecoach arrives in Tombstone at approximatley 1:00 A.M., parking outside between Schieffelin Hall and Turn Verein Hall. By that time two stagecoaches from Benson and one from Bisbee have already come and then gone with full loads of passengers. Chuck Nevers says they should feed and rest the horses a good hour before heading back. Newton Gilly heads off to find Marshall Williams to see who is lined up as passengers for this run.

Nanuet's jaw drops when he sees the devastation of the fire. "Unbelievable, just unbelievable!" he says in a shocked tone. "I hope everybody is OK, now where to start?" Nanuet begins wandering the town calling out his friend's names and seeing if anybody needs healing.

Williams and Chester begin to gather up people for the 2:00 AM stagecoach ride back to Promise City. Williams suggests to Chester that he may want to send Clarisse back. Buck Fly and his wife both ask to be on it, since they've now lost everything and Buck's brother Roger lives in Promise City.

"Good idea. I'll go get her." Chester reenters the hall. Clarisse is asleep with Kate's family. He gently shakes her shoulder. "Dear? Clarisse? You should take the next stage back to Promise City. Tombstone isn't a place for you now. You should sleep in your own bed. Go home." She looks at him. "Aren't you coming with me? What about you?"

"I should stay here. They need my help." He smiles. "Plus I can drive the fire wagon back to town." She replies, “This isn't funny. You could get hurt." He says, "I'm sorry. The fire's out for the most part. It's mostly clean-up now." She relents, "Alright. I'll go. But promise me you'll be back as soon as you can." He states, "I promise. Let me help you with your bags. The stage will be crowded, but the ride isn't long. I have Lookout so I can ride home myself."

Angela Young insists on going in order to get the news back to Chumbley as soon as possible. Conrad nudges Kate awake and whispers to her, "Angela wants to go back now so I'll need to go with her. You can take the buggy back tomorrow, just as well as you could probably give Henry a much smoother ride back in it given how crowded they'll be packing these stagecoaches."

"Alright," Kate nodded, trying to wake. "You'll get your bath soon. Safe journey, my dear. I'll see you at home." Still half-asleep she leaned over and embraced him, then kissed his cheek. "Let everyone know we're alright."

Friedrich Seagram tightened his arm around his wife and pretended he was still asleep as his daughter said good-bye to Conrad Booth. Her voice was still thick with sleep, and it was likely she wouldn't remember a word of that conversation in the morning. Although he'd never really suspected it Friedrich was now certain that whatever else had happened between the young man and his daughter, he hadn't had the opportunity to become familiar with her sleeping habits.

Katherine was asleep again within moments of Mr. Booth's departure. Friedrich looked first at his wife curled up against his side. She had insisted on making this trip even though she would have to do it again in December. Henry and Phillip, excited by Mr. Booth's stories of western life had been beyond eager. It was good to see that spark in Henry again. The boy had grown up and gotten married but kept a youthful sense of humor and play that had dimmed when Katie left and the news of Tom's death came. Friedrich gazed at his eldest son and muttered a sincere prayer of thanks for his life.

His gaze finally moved over to Phillip, laying protectively close to his sister. They were an odd pair; the two had never been particularly close and Phil had surprised his father by rushing out first to meet Katherine. But he was growing up, changing, and perhaps learning for the first time what it was to really miss someone. Whatever it was, Friedrich was grateful to see his youngest starting to fulfill his promise.

Lastly his eye fell on his daughter and that bundle of energy she called Ginnie. The girl had slid into Mr. Booth's spot after he left and Friedrich was fairly certain the she had never really gone to sleep at any point in the night. She and Amelie seemed to be forming a bond and Friedrich was grateful for that.

Katie lay already deeply asleep again. She'd pushed herself hard, as always. Always trying to prove that she could do for herself. She'd pushed herself like that when Tom as ill as well. It was her way to work when there was trouble so that she wouldn't have to think about it. He should have realized she would need him in Tombstone after Tom died. With nothing else to think on, nothing to keep her busy she had almost driven herself mad. But there she lay, asleep with her own daughter, well and whole. Rattled by her encounter with Wyatt Earp, but well.

Friedrich took a deep breath and let it out slowly. For now, they were all together. He tucked his wife closer to him and kept vigil over his family until morning.

The Wells Fargo Stagecoach leaves at approximately 2:00 A.M. Chester waves to Clarisse as it heads out of town. Since they are traveling at night and also want to allow their passengers to sleep they go slower than usual, arriving back in Promise City at 6:30 A.M.

Back in Tombstone, things are quiet in Schieffelin Hall as people do their best to get some sleep. The sun comes over the horizon at 6:15 A.M. at which time people begin to stir. Breakfast from the Crystal Palace soon arrives, consisting of fresh raisin bread, scrambled eggs and fried bacon, ham and sausage.

Kate stretched stiffly as she sat up from her sleep. "Where are Conrad and Miss Townsend?" she asked with a yawn. "Mrs. Young wanted to back on the stage in the middle of the night, Mr. Booth and Miss Townsend went too. He told you, don't you remember?" Ginnie asked. Katherine squinted and thought for a moment. "I remember Conrad talking to me, but not what he said. Thank you, Ginnie." She got everyone gathered together and they went to get breakfast, bringing some back for Henry even though he insisted he could go himself.

"Papa, I don't know what the chances are that General Pleasants and his friends could get here today are. I suggest we stay until afternoon, then head back on an afternoon stage. If they're going to get here they'll be here by then, and if not there is no good in waiting here. What do you think?" With her father's agreement, Kate went to spend the morning checking up on the people she had treated the day before.

Meanwhile, the Promise City Merchant's Association meets from 7:00 to 7:30 A.M. Deputy Sheriff Colin Hunter outlines the new laws to prevent price gouging during the Tombstone shortage crisis. Pawn shop owner Clive Reston raises objections. Mitchel Berg point out this is another reason why the town needs to Incorporate, as they would then not be subject to laws imposed by the Sheriff's office.

Kris Wagner explains that the Wells Fargo Stage will be doing three runs a day to Tombstone until further notice. Anybody bringing items to Tombstone to donate can ride for free, for others it will be half the usual price. Trips back are also free but priority will be given to Tombstone refugees.

Zachary Morand announces that for as long as the rail service between Tucson and Tombstone is out of operation the Morand Cartage Company will be making daily runs to Willcox, where the train still runs between it and Tucson.

The meeting then adjourns. People exit to see Chumbley selling the day's paper with updated information about the death of the Earp Vigilantes. He says that the next day's paper will have details of the Tombstone Fire.

As people are filing out of the Town Hall Minerva stands upon a wagon outside of the building, looking every inch the righteous servant of the gods in her green priestly garbs topped with a crown of Olive leaves that nestles in her thick black, unbound hair. Irresistibly sweet music floats from her flute and wafts through the streets and like the aroma of freshly baked bread entices the crowd to leave the cool shelter of the buildings and come to her. She lowers her flute and wills them to silence with her dark burning eyes and in a clear booming voice that carries across the square begins:

"It is imperative that all good people of Promise city; men, women, non-human and human, alike join together for the good of the town and the glory of the gods and make Their will known.

Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man's sense of values and his objectivity. It causes him to describe the beautiful as ugly and the ugly as beautiful, and to confuse the true with the false and the false with the true.

In January 1863 a great American, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of non-humans, who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of captivity.

But, we must face the tragic fact that the non-human is still not free. The life of the non-human is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. The non-human lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. The non-human is still languishing in the corners of Promise City society and finds himself an exile in his own land. So we have come here today to dramatize an appalling condition.

In a sense we have come here to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men would be guaranteed the inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

It is obvious today that Promise City has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of various races are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, Promise City has given the non-human people a bad check which has come back marked "insufficient funds." But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this town. So we have come to cash this check -- a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice. We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind Promise City of the fierce urgency of now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to open the doors of opportunity to all of the God's children. Now is the time to lift our town from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood.

It would be fatal for the town to overlook the urgency of the moment and to underestimate the determination of the non-human. This sweltering summer of the non-human’s legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning. Those who hope that the non-human needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the town returns to business as usual. There will be neither rest nor tranquility in Promise City until all are granted his citizenship rights. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our town until the bright day of justice emerges.

But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.

We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force. The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the non-human and female community must not lead us to distrust of all human males, for many of our human brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny and their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom. We cannot walk alone.

And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall march ahead. We cannot turn back. There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, "When will you be satisfied?" We can never be satisfied as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the hotels and boarding houses of our town. We can never be satisfied as long as a Non human in Promise City cannot vote. No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.

I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow cells. Some of you have come from areas where your quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive. Go home knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed. Let us not wallow in the valley of despair.

I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the difficulties and frustrations of the moment, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood. I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice. I have a dream that my children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today. I have a dream that one day the state of Alabama, whose governor's lips are presently dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, will be transformed into a situation where little non-human boys and girls will be able to join hands with little human boys and human girls and walk together as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today. I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith with which I return home. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

This will be the day when all of the God's children will be able to sing with a new meaning, "My country, 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim's pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And if America is to be a great nation this must become true. So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania! Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado! Let freedom ring from the curvaceous peaks of California!
But not only that; let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia! Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee! Let freedom ring from every hill and every molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, non human men and human men, women ,dwarves and orks, elves, vigilance committee and, merchants, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old non-human spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

DM’s Note: If the text from Minerva’s speech should sound familiar to you. Most of it is taken directly from Dr. Martin Luther King Junior’s “I have a dream” speech. The posting of this part of the story just happened to take place on Martin Luther King Day and Minerva’s player strongly felt that those words could better address a situation of racial prejudice than anything else.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Twenty, “Putting Tombstone Behind”, Friday, May 26th, 1882, 7:00 A.M.

Josie heads over to the dark and quiet Gay Lady Saloon. She tosses a few pebbles at Julia Barbeau's window, until Josie can see the woman on the other side of the glass, rubbing her eyes. Julia hurries downstairs and lets Josie in. After heading back to their room Josie gives her a tear filled account of the fire in Tombstone and what happened with Wyatt.

She cries, "It was so horrible to sit there and pretend I didn't know him and him pretending he didn't know me. I know I couldn't give things away but it breaks my heart to deny what we feel. I don't know if I can do it anymore. And that is if we ever get to be together, I don't know if I will ever see him again." Julia replies, "He knows that you are here. I'm certain that he will see you again. You look exhausted, get some sleep."

"Yes, of course," Josie replies numbly. She had such a bad feeling in her stomach when Wyatt rode away but now she was just feeling numb. She changes into her nightgown and settles into bed. She cries for a little while longer before falling into a deep, unsettling sleep.

By the time she wakes the next morning Julia is gone. She rubs her eyes and procrastinates getting up. When she finally does she decides to have a bath to clean off the soot then keep herself busy to keep her mind off if things. She recalls Ruby mentioning Gilson's bathhouse so she packs a dress and wanders over to the area to find it.

Laurie Gilson welcomes Josie to the bathhouse. She has Jules Huerta fill up a tub of hot water for Josie and asks her if there is anything she can get for her. Laurie also comments about the short performance that Josie had done on the main stage during the festival and adds, "There's a rumor that you're going to do a play while you're here in town."

Josie smiles warmly at her. "Why yes, I am helping Ruby West with her production of Romeo and Juliet at the Lucky Lady. Actually, I recall Ruby saying she wanted to ask you if you wanted a part in it. It's going to be absolutely wonderful and she's very excited about bringing some culture to this town." Laurie Gilson tells Josie that she would be very willing to help with the play but that she is too shy to actually perform.

Josie smiles, "Any and all help we get is appreciated. Thank you. We are in the early stages but there will certainly be plenty to do." She excuses herself to partake in her bath while the water is still hot. As she soaks in the bath she tries not to think bad thoughts of her lover, soaking her cares away the best she can. She scrubs the soot off and focuses her thoughts on the play.

After her bath is finished she finds Lacey's General store. Entering the store she calls out, "Uh, hello, Mr. Lacey?" as she looks around for someone who might be working. Judge Lacey hurries around, "Well Hello Miss Marcus, I heard that you were in town again. How can I be of help to you?"

"Yes, actually, I'm going to be in town for a little while. I am helping Miss West with her production of Romeo and Juliet. She mentioned to me that you might be able to help us. She said you were very intelligent and knowledgeable, and using your experience from the recent festival you might be able to suggest some names for people we could cast in the show. Men with sword fighting abilities perhaps?"

He replies, “I know, she left me a note.” He reaches into his pocket and produces the letter which he then reads to Miss. Marcus:

Dear Mr. Lacey,

I hope this letter finds you doing well. I would like to ask you for a favor. Please don't feel like you have to, only if you have some time and would like to. If you remember a couple of months ago I had you order Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare for me. My idea is to put on a play of Romeo and Juliet.

This is where you come in. I would like to have some real sword play in the show and would like to have people who actually know what they are doing! Since you helped organize the competition at the festival I was hoping you might have a list of people who participated and who you think might be good for my show.

I am going away for a few days but I will come and visit you when I return. In the meantime, I am working with both Josie Markham and Conrad Booth, as they both have experience with this kind of stuff so you could work with one of them if you prefer that. Thank you in advance! ~Ruby West

He asks her a number of questions about the production and appears generally in favor until he asks where it will be held. Upon mention of the Lucky Lady his face takes on a sad expression and he says, "Oh, I was hoping it would be at the Town Hall." She replies, "Is there a problem Mr. Lacey? Why would we hold it at Town Hall when the Lucky Lady has a fabulous new performance stage?"

Lacey replies, "Just a promise I made to my late wife. I once had a problem with drinking and on her deathbed she made me promise not to enter a saloon again." Josie answers, "Oh, that is certainly honorable. Well, did you also promise her not to enter a hotel and restaurant? Because from what I hear the Lucky Lady will soon be a Saloon, Dance Hall, Restaurant AND hotel." She pauses and smiles, "AND a theater."

Lacey replies, "Well, I used to allow myself to enter the Comique when Judge Isby held court there. But alcohol wasn't being served during court. I don't imagine that the Lucky Lady will stop serving during performances." Josie pauses. "That's true, I doubt it. Although," she leans in a bit closer and whispers, "I do think Ruby wants to put on one special show, an afternoon performance, for the young ones of Promise City. To benefit the new school I believe. Perhaps they will hold the liquor for that?"

He states, "Then I would be happy to attend lovely lady....and I will get right on that task of finding swordsmen for the play." "Great!" Josie puts her hand over his arm. "We look forward to your help then. I'll try to stop by in a couple of days to find out about the swordsmen. We have to get busy with rehearsals." Josie bids him good day.

Back in Tombstone, Kate spent the morning checking up on the people she had treated the day before. Chester caught up with her and let her know that something should be arranged for them to take the stage this afternoon, and that the train would not come in with any passengers. Once that was settled Kate focused on her patients and then her brother. There was nothing else left to do but wait for the stage and head home.

Chester spent the morning helping pulling up the burnt railroad ties. Around lunch time he finds Marshall Williams overseeing the demolition of a damaged building. "Morning Marshall. The railroad's not in terrible shape, but it'll be a day or two before all the burnt ties are removed."

Williams replies, "Hey Deputy. I wish I could say that about the rest of the town. Even with your fire wagon, we've lost more than half the buildings. I've got people out checking for hot spots so we don't get a flare-up."

Chester says, "Thanks for getting Mrs. Kale's family on the afternoon stage. Her brother's OK to move now. I'll send some men and a team to get the fire wagon when I get back to Promise City. If you still need it, I'm sure our Fire Marshall would be fine with that." Williams shakes his head. "Thanks for the offer, but there isn't much left to burn anymore. It came in handy, though."

Chester answers, "You're welcome. Sorry it wasn't enough to stop the fire." He slaps the Marshall on the back. "See you around. Good luck." Williams says, "Thanks, Deputy. The mayor's sent representatives out to the nearby lumber mills, so we can start rebuilding quicker. Bye." Chester buys a new saddle and bridle at a shop that escaped serious damage. Then he has lunch with Kate and her family then waits for the stage.

Nanuet wanders the streets until he bumps into Chester. He discovers that the train to Tucson bearing Ruby and Jake made it safely away before the fire started. He also discovers that Kate, her family and Ginnie is OK even though her brother seems to have sustained minor injuries. Discovering that they are all well enough and having spent all of his own healing spells, Nanuet returns to Promise City on the coach the first chance he has at an open seat.

At around half-past noon the maintenance train with the new rails and ties arrives from Tucson. It is able to get writhing a quarter-mile of town before it is forced to stop. Several dozen men, all railroad workers, exit the one passenger car attached to the train.

Also with them is Henry Pleasants, who seeks out Frederick Seagram. He tells Seagram "I worked a year as a railroad work team supervisor for the year immediately after the war and offered to help out here. I'll be along in a few days once this is all taken care of." He sees Kate and says, "My friends the Caudells are on their way now to Promise City, going there by way of Willcox. Please see to it that they get settled in alright." She replies, "I... of course. There wasn't much available for homes, but there were a few places. We'll find them something."

The Wells Fargo stage from Promise City arrives at 1:15 PM. Marshall Williams assigns fresh horses and a fresh crew to ride it back, to give Nevers, Gilly and the mounts a break. And with new animals and drivers they can do a quicker turnaround and be off by 1:30 PM.

Kate got the family moving when word came down that the stage had arrived. They had no luggage, so it was quickly done. Henry leaned on their father's shoulder as they all moved outside. She told the men thriving the stage about the buggy and about she and Chester riding alongside. They got the horse hitched up to the new buggy and Henry settled on the bench next to Ginnie. "Maybe I should drive," Kate said to Ginnie. "I can start teaching you how along the way."

Riding beside the coach, Chester says to Nanuet, "Thanks for coming out to check on us. News travels fast and Chumbley even faster. Things alright at home?"

Nanuet replies, "Things were OK when I left yesterday. I got the news from the Wells Fargo folks who stopped in the Lucky Lady as soon as they got back to town. I think they are planning some kind of meeting to figure out the fire's indirect impact on Promise City."

Chester replies, "That's good to hear. Tombstone's mayor sent messages out to Promise City and the other nearby towns to ask for building supplies. I don't know if you saw, but most of Tombstone was burned to the ground. They also have our fire wagon. They don't need it anymore, but Jeff should get some men and a team out to get it so we don't have a fire get out of control here."

The ride back to Promise City starts of peacefully enough. It takes Kate a little while to get adjusted to the buggy. The Wells Fargo stage does not slow so they fall a bit behind but still keep it within sight the half mile ahead. As they near the turnoff for the King's Bar-W ranch she finally gets the hang of it and they make up the distance to the stagecoach, now staying within 100 feet of it.

Henry speaks for the first time since leaving Tombstone. "Katie....father told me what happened. That man in the tattered pants....was that really Wyatt Earp?" "Yes," Kate said flatly. "He, uh... He spoke to us, then he left. Did Papa tell you what he said?" Henry replies, "Yes...but I don't understand it. Why would he save my life? Why didn't he let me die in the fire? He's a murderer....a cold blooded killer."

She answers, "He's killed... He held Jake and Chester in jail to blackmail me into giving up Mr. Tucker to cover up what his brother did. He's been taking his vengeance on the people who killed Morgan. And that....

When the Cowboys killed Morgan, perhaps Wyatt realized just what his family had been doing to me the last few months. He said after his family caused me one loss, he couldn't let me suffer another. He's not cold-blooded. He feels guilt over what Morgan did and about his own efforts to cover it up, and now that he's in my shoes..." Kate shivered and paused, concentrating on driving until the tears receded from her eyes. "If Morgan Earp had been in Promise City the night Ruby told me the truth, I would have shot him down in the street. Thank heaven he wasn't. Wyatt has fallen to that urge for revenge."

Henry replies, "No Katie, you don't understand. He is a cold-blooded killer. I saw him murder a man...it was totally unprovoked. I was going room-to-room on the third floor of Brown's looking for Angela. There was this man in a room, about our age....all he was doing was packing a suitcase. Earp then appeared right inside the room next to the man, shoving the pistol into the man's chest. The man saw him but before he could even say one word Earp fired. I was a witness....why would he have let me live?"

She says, "He's been running through Cochise County slaughtering Cowboy Gang members and everyone knows it. He's already a wanted man, and if he gets caught there's no doubt what's going to happen to him. There was no reason to hurt you, you couldn't do him any harm." Henry could see Kate's hands shaking on the reins. "Morgan Earp apologized to me once, although I didn't understand at the time. What Wyatt is doing is absolutely wrong, but he.... I don't know, Henry. I just know he brought you out of there."

Henry is quiet for the next hour. They reach the intersection where the road forks direction between the towns of Dos Cabezas and Promise City, turning south to the latter. "We're getting there," Kate said, finding her spirits lifting at the now familiar landmark. "I can't wait to be home. I want you to see my house and the El Parador, and the ranch. How are you feeling, Henry?"

He replies, "I'm physically all right, don't know why everybody's fretting over me so much. I'm looking forward to seeing your house too Katie, and your school, and your ranch, and the saloon you play piano at, and the Cantina you lived at, and...did I miss anything? You've been very busy at this place."

She answers, "We fret because we love you. If it had been me you'd be fretting twice as much," she teased. "The only places you missed are places I don't want to go again, anyway. Except maybe the mountains where the Apache live, but we can't go there. Dorita will fret too, so be prepared. But she'll also stuff you silly, so I'm sure you'll forgive her." Henry's mood lightens as they continue back in town.

During the last portion of the ride, Kate began explaining to Ginnie about driving; how to communicate to the horse what you wanted it to do and how to handle the reins. Since Henry seemed to be fine, she went ahead and let Ginnie take them for a while, until they needed to catch up to the stage again. The Wells Fargo Stagecoach, the buggy and the riders alongside arrive in Promise City at 5:15 P.M.

Remove ads