• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Balmortis - Setting

Clay_More

First Post
Finished the description of the dwarves, can be found in the 3E house-rules forum:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=239972

Going to continue a bit on the dwarves before returning to Laumakis for description, will post something about Cimakath, the island of the dwarves, as well as something about their outpost in the Rain Mountains where they bombard the elves with their grudge cannons and shrieker rockets.

Clay_More

First Post
Just a little description of the beginning of Balmortis

The Birth of the Brothers
Date: Unknown
History: From the void surrounding Balmortis, four beings claw their way into existence, bloated and unfinished. The first to appear is the strongest of the four, a god clad in simple robes, a being of intellect and wisdom. Magnus, already ancient from the time of his creation, sees the potential in the barren world beneath him. All that inhabits the plane are simple plants and animals, carrying out a life without sentience nor purpose beyond mere survival. Yet, Magnus is not the only being to enter Balmortis, as his three brothers follow soon after. The twins appear, enormous and demented idiot-gods, born without sight nor hearing. With no senses to guide them, Lore and Taure swing their limbs wildly as they move across the plane, fueled by an insane desire to punish creation itself for their defects. After Lore and Taure comes the stillborn child, Qurat, doomed to a life of non-existence, a life where the infant god is constantly reborn through a mortal female only to die at birth. Unlike Magnus who has a greater plan for creation, Lore, Taure and Qurat are mere powers of destruction, incapable of harboring a desire for anything besides death and mayhem.

"I see them now"
The seer shuddered. Around him stood the gathered Timeless Council, eager to hear the prophecies. The seer had been a great boon them before, he had helped them remember their past and to prepare for the future. Yet something was unnerving him.
"What is it Iskar.. what do you see?" stuttered Golgi, one of the elders of the council.
"They hate.. that is all that they do, all they can sense is when they extinguish life.. there's.. three of them, two of them traveling across the stars in a rampage fueled by a hatred for all living things.."
The goblins muttered amongst themselves. When they had asked Iskar to venture even further back in the past, this is not what they had expected.
"I see them clearly now, blind.. foaming around the mouth, bigger and more powerful than anything else.. but do not worship them.. I beg of you, if you worship them it will only draw their attention" continued Iskar.
Some of the younger members of the council left the cave in disdain, muttering something about how the insanity of the brothers of whom Iskar spoke was no match for the insanity of Iskar himself. Still, the blind seer continued his tale.
"And I see the last of the three world eaters. He doesn't exist.. he walks behind the planes, an unborn child. I see him getting born, an unholy, bleak and shriveled child, dead at birth. No one mourns him, no one even cares enough for him to name him, and he returns to his state of unliving. This is his cycle, constantly being born dead, to see a faint glimpse of the splendors of life, only to be denied them again for hundreds of years. He harbors the same hatred as his brothers, a hatred so deep that no amount of destruction or revenge can quench it. We must fear them.. never worship them, never utter their name"
The goblins of the Timeless Council looked petrified by the visions of Iskar. Perhaps there was a reason why mortals should not look beyond the mist of time.

FriarRosing

First Post
I have to admit, I think the dwarf origin story is one of the most creative things I've read for a D&D campaign. Something about it seems almost moving. At least to me, anyway.

I really like how tragic the world seems, at least in regards to the dwarves and the nature of Thakulion and the whole focus on pain. Also everything feels like genuine mythology, as opposed to something someone made up for fun.

It's awesome.

Clay_More

First Post
Thanks a lot Sandwich, appreciate the feedback. I am really taking some effort to make it a bit grittier and darker than your average campaign setting, my players are adults and prefer a bit more "medieval" setting where everything isn't happy and dandy. Also the reason why I'm not including a bunch of creatures that simply don't fit in the setting (unicorns, good dragons, most fey, etc).

Anyways, got a small introduction to the dwarves before I start posting the actual description of Cimakath island and the dwarven outpost in Rain Mountains.

The gnome scouts were returning home to the small outpost perched on a hilltop. The elven wards had always posed a significant problem to the dwarves, an intricate matrix of arcane barriers and enchantments that would maim and kill trespassers. Luckily enough, the gnomes had found a way to circumvent the wards when they invented an alchemical liquid which possessed the ability to dampen magic. Clad in heavy, steel diving suits, these gnome scouts, the negators, were able to penetrate deep into elven lands to find targets for the dwarven artillery. Inside their suits, the gnome scouts lived an entire lifetime immersed in the thick, yellow liquid that allowed them to survive in the elven ward-lands.
It seemed like the gnomes had stumbled upon an elven raiding party inside the woods. They were running towards the outpost, autoguns blazing as they fired at their pursuers. The elves rarely went to war alone, always preferring to field large armies of slave infantry, aided by the red hand orcs. The dwarven spotters could easily make out the flayed ones pursuing the gnomes. The elves were renowned for their vicious nature, and the flayed ones were an excellent example of their callousness. Tortured and chained from birth, flayed ones were recruited from both the human and orc slave villages inside the elven realms. Drugged by powerful stimulants on a daily basis and dragged to the battlefield in cages, the flayed ones had always been a nuisance to the dwarven outpost. It seemed like they harbored a deep death-wish, an urge to end their horrid existence. It was clear that the gnome scouts were having problems with the pack pursuing them, and the dwarven spotters yelled harsh orders to the artillery engineers.
The Grudge Cannons slowly pivoted to face the enemy. An entire battery of cannons fired at once, a mighty roar that gave the enemy ample warning of the armageddon to come. A high-pitched whistle could be heard, the tell-tale sign of the heavy munitions descending from the sky. A thick, metal casing containing a mix of gunpowder and incendiary fluids, the grudge shells had proven themselves potent at tearing huge holes in ranks of enemy infantry. Deep inside the forest the shells impacted with the ground, spreading burning, metal shrapnel around them, turning the forest into a site of burning mayhem. Many of the flayed ones were torn to pieces by the shrapnel, falling weeping to the ground. The trees were painted red with blood. With their enemy subjected to the punishment of the Grudge Cannons, the gnomes stopped their retreat and formed a line at the edge of the forest, opening fire with their autoguns to punish their pursuers further for their insolence. Of the fifteen scouts that had gone into the forest, only nine remained. Yet on this day, no more would fall as a small group of dwarven bombardiers ran down to assist their allies. Clad in steampowered armor, the bombardiers brought their mortar guns to bear on the flayed ones in the forest, forming a line in front of the more vulnerable scouts. The Grudge Cannons fired another barrage, but this time the shells had been modified so they would only detonate after burrowing deep into the ground. When the barrage landed amongst the flayed ones, the explosions could be heard as more of a thick thump as the shells exploded several feet into the ground. This time, no shrapnel tore into the ranks of slave infantry. Those standing far from the point of impact were knocked over by the heavy vibrations of the barrage, while those standing closer to the wrath of the Grudge Cannons fell to the ground to die slowly from the internal bleeding caused by the vibrations. The few surviving flayed ones were quickly finished off by dwarven snipers and the gnomish guns.
No celebration could be heard amongst the dwarves over their success in the battle. This wasn't an extraordinary day at the outpost, the elves sent raids like these on a daily basis, drawing upon their vast slave estates for a constant stream of cannonfodder in their battle against the dwarves. As soon as the Grudge Cannons stopped roaring and the scouts returned to the outpost, maintenance began as the cannon crews began cleaning their artillery pieces, readying themselves for the next raid.

Clay_More

First Post
Oh, and just figured I would post the drawing of the dwarves in my setting for those that missed it in the 3E house rules forum, its a good friend of mine who's working on making some illustrations for the campaign setting so its customized work specifically for Balmortis. Anyways, the dwarf isn't 100% ready, still needs some work on the mortar gun, but here it comes.

ToreTegning1.jpg

Clay_More

First Post
Okay, just finished a short description of the Karnal, a traveling circus in the Badlands that I'm planning on having my players meet in an upcoming campaign. Might add a bit more to them later, as some might have noticed I'm doing things for the setting rather sporadically :)

The Karnal

The Black Kingdoms have become the pinnacle of necromantic lore and learning, a gathering of four city-states that possess infinite wealth and knowledge. Long ago, a gathering of Shim necromancers built an underground city beneath the plains of the Black Kingdoms, a vast metropolis called Amea. The city was destroyed in an elven crusade and its libraries were buried beneath the ground for centuries until a small cult of human necromancers traveled to the site, guided by an extra-planar entity called Finlund. When the first library of Amea was found, it proved to be a rich source of necromantic lore and the first of the four city states was established, the city of Ur, along with the Karathan University, a faculty of learning devoted to the ancient lore of Amea. The Black Kingdoms started attracting more prominent wizards and even commoners started to travel to the plains to settle under the protection of the Karathan University and the Black Army. Despite its dedication to necromancy, the Black Kingdoms needs its living population now more than ever, as undead servants possess no creativity nor spirit for some of the labor that needs to be done in the kingdoms.

The vast institutes and laboratories of the Black Kingdoms do have a negative impact on the living though, as the energies emitted from them can warp and twist a human body beyond recognition, driving the mind mad and the soul cruel. This is why the Tower Pylons were constructed, enormous structures that gather necromantic energy and channels it away from the Black Kingdoms. Across the kingdoms, you can see the Tower Pylons emitting their rays of black energy across the sky, energy that eventually lands in the badlands, a foul strip of land that surrounds the Black Kingdoms. Several hundred miles wide, the Badlands surround the entire nation, acting almost as a protective barrier.

The Badlands are not a cheerful place. Even though the land itself is tainted and nature itself has been infected by the vile energies of the kingdoms, it still attracts the attention of both the desperate and the mad. Small villages of farmers and miners have made their home in the strip of land, making a meager living out of the desolate earth. Life is tough and short in the Badlands as its inherent hostility to life eventually leads those that live there to suffer a tragic death while packs of mutated abominations hunt for flesh. Two prominent groups of undead hunters have settled in the Badlands as well, a fanatical gathering of Vanquishers from Laumakis and a whole clan of warriors from Emerik. Not even the divine power of the Vanquishers nor the fierce devotion of the Emerik warrior-clans can escape the inevitable taint of the Badlands though, and over the years the two groups have become as twisted and warped as the creatures they hunt. Now, they no longer strive to put and end to the four city-states, they instead strive to put and end to each other as both factions have become so tainted by the Badlands that they are indistinguishable from the living dead.

One would think that in the Badlands, there is no room for laughter. Yet this is not true, as the region has become home to a traveling circus, the Karnal.

Long ago, Father Savant was a powerful and influential bishop in Laumakis, diligently serving the prince of scars. His sermons attracted gatherings numbering in the thousands as he preached a message of abstinence and devotion. Not all was well though, and over the years Father Savant developed a mental illness, a mixture of schizophrenia and paranoid delusions. In his sermons, he started to talk about the words he received at night, personal messages from the prince of scars, the whispering angels that spoke to him in his dreams and how they told him about the path to glory and true devotion. He started to tell the members of his parish that the prince himself had given him power, that this power exceeded the power of the Church of Thakulion and that all those who didn't heed his words would be damned. Father Savant slowly lost his grip on reality and occasionally his acolytes would find him sleeping naked on the floor of his chamber, his walls adorned with vile and despicable paintings of carnal pleasures. In the end, the Church of Thakulion found that it had no other option but to excommunicate and expel Father Savant from Laumakis, to cast him out.

For years, Father Savant traveled across the Tamara continent, preaching his madness to anyone who would listen. Eventually, his travels led him into the Badlands where his words of madness found ears willing to listen. Even in the Badlands, only the truly depraved and demented would listen to the sermons of Father Savant. Despite the vile nature of those that came to his sermons, Father Savant soon found that he once again had the power to attract followers. He also found that the people of the Badlands had a strange fascination with the more gruesome manifestations of the warping, necromantic energy that taints their home. In a matter of years, Father Savant gathered around him the most horribly mutated and deformed creatures of the Badlands, a gathering of freaks and madmen that followed him on his crusade of enlightenment. To attract the attention of the common people of the land, Father Savant turned his small gathering into a travelling circus, the Karnal. Setting up their brightly and cheerfully colored tents wherever they go, playing their haunting tunes and gladly exhibiting their deformities, the Karnal have become legend in the Badlands. Each time the circus comes to a new town, Father Savant will herald its arrival to the townspeople as the arrival of both entertainment and redemption.

None have seen the show of the Karnal and left unmoved. Gibbering midgets run around the stage dressed as marauding barbarians, waging battle against packs of fools armed with wooden swords. A whole hour of the show consists of creatures of various races showcasing their diseases and ailments, a gift from the taint of the Badlands. Scantily clad women dance their forbidden dances while the ushers serve opium and other substances to the eager crowd. And the show always ends in the same way, when the music stops and Father Savant takes the stage and gives his sermon.

While the few of the members of the Karnal are worshipers of the prince of scars, nothing has yet broken the faith of Father Savant, only twisted it further. Not even the taint of the land has taken a complete hold of him, it has only made him stronger, allowed him to live on for four hundred years as he guides his circus to new villages in the desolate land. His circus crew has changed over the years, naturally, as his performers die to the taint or to some of the unholy beasts of the Badlands. Most of his followers pray to a mystic version of Emanuel the Whisperer, a god known to them as Brother Giggles. It is believed that Brother Giggles is constantly sending his commands to his worshipers through a number of omens and signs, omens that can only be deciphered by madmen. Supposedly, a rare few even have the gift to receive messages from Brother Giggles through mirrors and crystals, which has led the Karnal to be decorated with a myriad of reflecting objects and knick-knacks, so that Brother Giggles may send his omens.

Clay_More

First Post
Taking the liberty of bumping it, not because I expect a reply but because I'm adding more and don't want it to slide of to where I can't find it :D

Remove ads