• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bands with hit singles that were not hit singles

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Jane Child…

Her first single was in heavy rotation when I got BRUTALLY shot down asking for a date. How heavy? I went running errands with my roomie an hour later and it came on the radio. I changed the channel. It came on a few seconds later. I changed to a third channel. It came on; I turned off the radio. My roomie said, “The universe hates you.”

This was off the second album. Again, got significant play, but no commercial success. More than a decade later, she released a third album. Nothing.

I just couldn't get over fearing that the chain between her nose piercing and her ear would get caught on something and tear her face in half... But I did like that one song

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I just couldn't get over fearing that the chain between her nose piercing and her ear would get caught on something and tear her face in half... But I did like that one song
I think several comedy skit shows of the time even demonstrated it.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Throwing mine in

Disposable Heroes of HipHopracy Television. Michael Franti went on to sing uplifting reggae adjacent songs with Spearhead. But his hiphop joint with Rono Tse was amazing and still for me sets the bar for socially conscious hiphop.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Throwing mine in

Disposable Heroes of HipHopracy Television. Michael Franti went on to sing uplifting reggae adjacent songs with Spearhead. But his hiphop joint with Rono Tse was amazing and still for me sets the bar for socially conscious hiphop.

Excellent one!

No knocks on Franti’s other projects, but I always wondered why DHoH broke up.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
King’s X blew the doors off MTV when they released this one:

Their albums always generated a lot of praise for their musicianship- especially from their peers- but it never translated into financial success. In a recent interview, Doug Pinnick laid it out pretty starkly:

40 (!) years as a band, and they just released a new album and announced a new tour. (Said tour had to be cancelled because of Ty Tabor’s falling ill.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Son of Bazerk had 2 albums- one in 1991, and another in 2010. Here’s the two off the debut they made official vids for:

The first album was well reviewed, but didn’t sell well. They reformed 20 years later because of a relatively large online fan demand. That album received decent reviews…and didn’t sell well.🤪

You might notice similarities to Public Enemy (among others). That’s not an accident- they traveled in the same circles, they had the same influences. SoB’s founder introduced Chuck D and Flavor Flav.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ultramagnetic MCs had a fresh sound, but couldn’t stay together professionally. They had some killer tracks, but are known more for launching the careers of Kool Keith and Rahzel, each of whom is more of important as cult like influences than for epic success.

KK is one of the weirdest rappers…ever. Histrippy, often nonsensical lyrics & subject matter, delivery, and alternative identifies (Black Elvis, Dr. Octagon) are often cited by other performers. He’s sometimes credited with being the father of horrorcore rap (and other exotic genres).

Rahzel is simply one of the most talented beatboxers out there. His vocal skills are akin to Michael Winslow’s.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads