Banewarrens d20 (Angelsboi's party)

diaglo

Adventurer
Will we ever escape?

Bartol was the last to make it thru the rock opening as Marcus of Tyr swung it closed and lodged his sword in the side to seal it.

"What's going on?" Timmay asked.

"Hobgoblins," replied Bartol. "At least 6 of them, maybe more. I think I killed 1"

"Well, are we safe here?" Thane piped. "I see there is an opening to the outside over there. Maybe we should head outside? Goblins hate the sunlight."

And with that Timmay, Bernedette, Thane and the wolverine left. Outside, the entrance to the Ogre's Cave was hidden by a stand of trees and brush.

Marcus of Tyr said, "Listen. I think they have stopped."

It was true. The hobgoblins had struggled to open the door to no avail. Briefly, the noise of their feet could be heard fading from range.

"Maybe they are circling around," Marcus of Tyr continued. "We'd best go help the others."

"You'll need your sword." Bartol said as he drew the weapon from the crack.

"NOOOOO," Marcus of Tyr screamed too late.

The door swung open. And 2 swords struck Bartol on either side, which caused him to drop Marcus of Tyr's sword. Luckily he moved enough that they were just scrapes. Unfortunately for the hobgoblins, they gained Bartol's attention.

The attacker to the left was bisected across the waist by Bartol. Marcus of Tyr regained his sword, but couldn't make an effective attack with Bartol blocking the door. The hobgoblin attacked, but deflected off Bartol's armor.

Bartol spun around and bisected the last attacker. None of the other hobgoblins were visible.

diaglo

Adventurer
Once more into the breach...

Bernedette and Timmay wandered back inside. They had shown the Ogre's loot to Thane. And he was trying to decipher the parchment in the sunlight. His trusty animal watched for trouble beside him. Bartol bent down and examined the hobgoblins' remains for any items of worth.

The party, except for Thane continued to search the dead. From the passageway to the right of the secret doorway back inside the goblin guard post, another group of goblins emerged. Bernedette muttered an incantation and a coating of oil appeared in their way.

Down they fell. One hobgoblin and 1 goblin escaped the mess. Marcus of Tyr and Bartol moved to the front of the ranks. Timmay used the last of his memorized spells to incapacitate the hobgoblin and 4 out of 5 of the goblins. They slept soundly.

The remaining goblin exchanged blows with Marcus of Tyr. The goblin ended up on the ground beside his companions. Bartol gathered the sleepers and bound them.

From the other direction a new group of hobgoblins or perhaps the remains of the other group arrived along with a handful of goblins.

Timmay turned. “Surrender,” he said in goblin. “And you may yet live to see another day.”

"You surrender," the hobgoblin leader answered. Timmay translated.

The negoiations bantered back and forth.

Bartol grew tired of it all. He grabbed the sleeping hobgoblin and slapped him awake.

"We have you surrounded. And we need more slaves. So you surrender," the hobgoblin continued. He heard the grunting of the hostage.

"That's what you think," Timmay smirked. "All of your bases are belong to us. :D "

Bartol deposited the prisoner at Timmay's feet. He then went back for 1 of the goblins.

"Enough of this," Thane said as he entered from the Ogre's Cave. He unleashed a stone, which struck the hobgoblin leader.

Thane's action stunned everyone. Neither side reacted. So Thane unleashed another stone. The leader fell. The goblins and hobgoblins charged. They still numbered 2 hobgoblins and 3 goblins. Timmay took a spear to the side and lost consciousness. Bernedette was injured. She staggered and nearly lost consciousness, also. Marcus of Tyr still not fully healed from the Ogre's attack and the minor wounds from other battles moved to aid Bernedette. One of the hobgoblins attacked his exposed side. Down Marcus of Tyr fell. The wolverine ravaged a nearby goblin.

"TIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY," Bartol yelled and joined the fray. He spitted one of the hobgoblins.

Thane bashed 1 of the goblins skulls. The remaining hobgoblin and goblin attacked and further injured the wolverine. It went berserk and gutted the goblin. Bernedette moved and prayed to Tyr to help save Marcus. Bartol killed the last combatant.

Thane calmed the wolverine. Bernedette was successful in staunching any more blood loss for Marcus of Tyr. Bartol could not stop Timmay's loss, though. So Thane used his last spell and his healing goodberries on Timmay and Bernedette. Still Timmay and Marcus of Tyr were not out of trouble.

"The potion. Who has the Potion?" Bartol asked.

Thane handed it to Bartol.

But who needs it the most? Timmay or Marcus of Tyr? I can always carry Timmay. But Marcus of Tyr none of us can help while burdened. So...

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
Down the Hatch

Bartol poured the contents of the potion down Marcus of Tyr's throat. He convulsed immediately. A true battle was fought inside Marcus of Tyr.

"What the?," the group said as one.

"Poison. I suspect we purchased poison from the not so good Harvestmaster," Bernedette interjected.

Marcus of Tyr struggled. Thane and Bernedette hovered over him. None of his wounds showed signs of opening, luckily.

"Okay, okay, I think I still have some magic." Thane said. "I was holding back in case we needed it for the return trip. But it doesn't look like he can make it without."

Thane cast his spells and Marcus of Tyr revived. Marcus of Tyr called on Tyr's blessing and healed Bartol.

"You needed that more than I considering you will be carrying so much," Marcus of Tyr stated.

Bartol placed the Ogre's sack over his shoulder. He then bent to pick up Timmay. But he decided he should lighten the gnome's load by handing the gnome's pack to Bernedette. She was more than happy to oblige. The spellbook inside may of had something to do with it. Bartol also pocketed the banker's key. Bernedette wasn't a part of that money. Timmay in hand he set off for the Keep.

"What about the goblins' hostages?" Bernedette asked. "I sure hope my parents are safe."

"We are no match for another patrol or assault," Marcus of Tyr responded. "By Tyr I shall return. We have our own prisoners to contend with now."

Thane gathered the 4 bound goblins and made them carry the unconscious hobgoblin. Marcus of Tyr and Bernedette leaned on each other for support.

As the group left by way of the Ogre's cave. A muffled shriek could be heard coming from the Goblin Cave.

diaglo

Adventurer
Home sweet home

The adventurers pushed themselves hard. And they pushed the goblins even harder. Bartol feared pursuit. If it came, he would dispatch the prisoners first. No point having them get in the way or be freed to help the pursuers. Marcus of Tyr and Bernedette were barely keeping pace.

This day, there was no pursuit. The miles and the hours passed uneventfully. Although, near the edge of the woods the group did hear the metal and whistling again.

Corporal Olaf would have been proud. By the time the Sun set they were in sight of the Keep. Bernedette sent her cat ahead with a note attached to get the guards. The group continued at a leisurely pace. Their burdens seemed lighter now.

The prisoners were exhausted. Their burden, the hobgoblin, had come to and was ordering them to release him, but Thane and the wolverine kept them moving.

Two guards arrived as the group approached the moat. They took charge of the prisoners. Captain Jherle and an elderly priest met the group at the gate. Father Demby of Tyr saw to the wounded and healed Timmay.

"Where's that Harvestmaster and his neophytes?" Bartol demanded. "He owes me 30gp. And I owe him a beating for selling me poison."

"In the morning," Marcus of Tyr offered. "We will seek our answers in the morning."

Bartol headed to the stable. The rest of the group went to the Inn. Inside the stable Bartol buried the Ogre's sack and the banker's key under a pile of hay. He was asleep almost immediately.

diaglo

Adventurer
So many questions needing answers.

As the :):):):) crowed the next morning, Bartol rose and prepared himself for the day. He uncovered the sack and pocketed the key. Next stop was the bank. A few coins had been donated to Father Demby last night, but there were still plenty left.

As Bartol exited the bank an angry gnome met him.

"Where do you think you are going?" Timmay asked. "And if you don't want to cluck like a chicken every time your name is mentioned, where's my pack?"

Bartol handed Timmay the key. "I thought you wouldn't be up yet," he said sheepishly. "I gave Bernedette your pack. So I could carry you."

Timmay turned and headed back to the inn. Bartol hurried to catch up.

Bernedette and Thane were not around. Marcus of Tyr sat enjoying a large breakfast.

"Come. Join me," Marcus of Tyr offered. "It seems our friend the Harvestmaster and his acolytes left earlier than expected. Thane and Bernedette have gone to investigate their rooms."

Timmay and Bartol sat down to eat. Many minutes later, Thane and Bernedette appeared. Bernedette returned Timmay's pack.

"A rancid smell of decaying plant or animal matter was found in the room," Bernedette stated. "I suspect the Harvestmaster was not a worshipper of Chauntea. More likely he followed Malar or some other beast."

"Let's go question the goblins," Thane said. "I think we will need to know more before we go back to the Caves. And I also think we should return today."

The group rose and went to the find the gaol. Marcus of Tyr vouched for the character of the group. An elf, the castellan's advisor, came with them to act as interpreter and to get more information for the castellan.

The hobgoblin proved to be very stubborn. He had a large paw print tatooed on his chest. He proudly admitted slaying humans, dwarves, and elves. Marcus of Tyr summarily executed him for his confession. The advisor was taken back a little by this act, but he understood. Afterwards, one of the goblins was more than happy to spill the beans.

Marcus of Tyr pledged to release the goblin and his tribesmen if he could convince the chieftain to stop raiding the surrounding communities. The goblin agreed to act as a guide and to lead the group back to the chieftain. He made no other promises.

diaglo

Adventurer
If you can't beat them...

The nasty little creature lead the adventurers out of the Keep and down the path once again. It, Grack, complained the whole trip about the sunlight. Timmay played mindgames with Grack to get it to reveal any and all information. Bartol and Marcus of Tyr were more watchful. Now they knew the threat was real. Even Bernedette and Thane were quiet.

As the group approached the now familiar bend. Grack cowered under Marcus of Tyr.

"This bad man's place," Timmay translated for Grack.

According to Grack, the bad man apparently killed and ate goblins. Marcus of Tyr reassured Grack he would be safe if he kept to his agreement. So the group continued.

Everyone noticed a group of carrion eaters circling above near where the group would leave the path to go to the ravine.

"I hope that's not the hostages," Bernedette whispered.

"As do we all," Thane replied.

Unfortunately, it proved to be a grisly sight. Two female heads, one young and one old, spitted on spears. Grack said nothing. But he hurried off the path and toward the ravine.

As Grack neared the previous ambush site, he turned to the group.

"Be very quiet," Timmay translated. "We go this way."

And they skirted around and took a smaller spoor. Once again they reached the Ravine.

"Me go ahead to talk with chief," Grack offered thru Timmay.

"Not on your life," Timmay replied.

So the group entered the Goblin Cave. Bartol lit a torch.

They plodded the same tunnel they had travelled before. Grack stayed in the lead.

At the guardpost, only 2 goblins met them. A series of negotiations began. Marcus of Tyr, Bernedette, Thane, and Timmay handed their weapons to Bartol. And 1 of the guards stayed to keep an eye on the barbarian. Grack and the other guard took the rest of the group to speak with the chief.

When the others were out of sight and sound, Bartol flexed his muscles. The goblin cowered but did not leave.

"You were responsible for those ladies' deaths, weren't you?" Bartol said.

The goblin just stared.

"Fine," Bartol mummured. "I can't see killing you. And I don't know how much trouble the others are getting into unarmed without me. So..." And with that he brought his sword around just missing with the flat of the blade.

The goblin shrieked. It tried to stab Bartol but was wide. Bartol didn't miss the second time. The goblin sprawled out cold.

"Sleep tight," Bartol said as he went to find the others.

Around the corner and up ahead a ways Bartol could hear voices. He recognized Timmay, Bernedette, and Marcus of Tyr speaking, but the other voice was not Thane. There was also some guttural goblinspeak in the background.

Bartol listened for a moment and then entered the room. The chieftain just smiled.

"So glad you could join us," the Chief said in perfect Common. "Is he dead?"

"Nah," Bartol answered. "But he will have a headache for a week."

Bernedette continued the negotiations. The party's demands included: 1) freeing the hostages 2) no more raids 3) information on the other tribes and 4) help against the other tribes. Their offer was: 1) leave the goblins alone 2) tell the Keep to leave them alone 3) a share of the treasure from the other tribes 4) and to forgive any passed crimes.

The chief's demands were: 1) gold 2) more slaves 3) arms and armor 4) death of the Old Hermit. His offer included: 1) to let the party live 2) to send Grack with the group as the tribe representative 3) to split the treasure 70/30

Needless to say. The negotiations continued...

diaglo

Adventurer
Medic Alert. What are you allergic to?

All this chatter bored Bartol. So he pulled out his whetstone and idly worked on his weapons. After a while, he heard the noise of footsteps coming from the back passage.

"I knew we couldn't trust these creatures," Bartol mumbled. He went into a fighting stance and prepared to slice and dice the first being thru the archway.

But torchlight proceeded the footsteps. And the sound of a human's voice droned on about the crowded nature of the caves.

"Hello," Valgrim said as he rounded the corner.

Bartol pulled up short of gutting the priest.

"Watch it, Valgrim," Marcus of Tyr commented. "You almost had a new bellybutton. Our barbarian friend is a little on edge."

"Oh, sorry," Valgrim apologized. "I was hoping to catch you before you made it into the Cave. I had a hard time finding you. Luckily, Lathander was smiling on me."

Turning back to the negotiations; Bernedette, Thane, Timmay, and Chief Van Dekk had come to an agreement. The party would clear a cave at the bottom of the Ravine to show their good intentions. And the goblins would provide more information on another tribe, provided the party returned.

The Cave to be cleared was home to the Eaters of Men. The physical characteristics of the Eaters were unknown to the goblins. They only knew those who went in never came out. To prove their deeds the party had to return with a trophy.

So far Chief Van Dekk had provided some useful information. The goblins were the Fist Clan. Their bigger allies, masters really, were the hobgoblin tribe known as the Wolf Clan. On the opposite side of the Ravine was a tribe of lizard like creatures, kobolds probably, called the Claw Clan. They were allied with the Eye Clan. The party presumed the Eye Clan to be orcs. The Wolf and Eye Clans were enemies. A tribe of hairy larger goblinoids lived higher up in the Ravine. But Chief Van Dekk didn't speak to them. The whole Ravine owed allegiance to a group of Priests. The priests were human. Or at least that is what Van Dekk speculated.

With little fanfare the party exited the Goblin Cave and set off for the bottom of the Ravine.

diaglo

Adventurer
who's afraid of the dark?

The party travelled further into the Ravine then they had previously. Bartol and Marcus of Tyr scoured the lay of the land ahead. Bernedette and Thane chatted away in the middle of the group. And Timmay and Valgrim brought up the rear. An odor assaulted everyone's senses as they neared a group of trees at the back of the Ravine.

"It wasn't me this time," Bartol smiled.

Thane offered a mint concoction for the upper lip of the adventurers to mask some of stink. Even in the middle of the growing season the trees in this part of the Ravine were nearly bare. The detritus on the ground was far beyond the normal decay. A cave opening was visible thru the treeline.

"Is this the one?" Valgrim asked. "Or is it the one up there?" He pointed to an opening 30 or so feet higher up to the left.

"We'll start here." Marcus of Tyr stated. "And if this isn't it. We will try the one above."

Bernedette, the wolverine, and Thane approached the entrance. The ground was squishy and damp. And as they moved into the cave it became a little bit crunchy. Bartol moved to the front. He poked the ground with his sword and uncovered the remains, a skull of some poor humanoid.

"Alas, poor Yorrick....I knew him, Horatio." Bartol stammered as he held the skull. A once silver coin fell out of the back of the skull into his hand.

Timmay lit a torch and entered with Marcus of Tyr and Valgrim. The cave went in three directions. To the right a mass of slime dripped from the ceiling and onto the floor. Ahead the tunnel meandered out of sight. And to the left some of the slime covered floor had been swept away.

"I'm not going right," Thane proclaimed. "Besides something to the left has made a trail."

Bernedette stared off into oblivion. "There is a source of magic to the left," She finally said.

Concentrating on the source Bernedette lead the way.

"Come back here," Marcus of Tyr called. He hurried off to act as a bodyguard. The rest of the group followed.

Bernedette's cat was the first to notice cave occupants. She launched herself off her shoulder mount and onto a rat as it was scurring past. Then everyone noticed. As a swarm of rats chittered around the feet of the adventurers. Bernedette's concentration was broken.

Bartol, Marcus of Tyr, Thane, the wolverine, Timmay and Valgrim all struck at the supposed assailants. The remainder of the pack rats fled. Not one of them had attacked the group.

"That's not good," Timmay said. "Something..."

Before he had a chance to finish, Bernedette shrieked. A very large and very sharp paw just at the edge of the light had appeared passing over Bernedette's head.

The race was on. Everyone, although initially startled, reacted quickly to chase the beast. And as the small torchbearing gnome rounded the corner to catch up, the group had cornered a very strange beast. It was part Bear, part Bird.

"Owlbear," Timmay shouted.

The beast charged. It raked its claws on Marcus of Tyr's shoulder. Marcus returned the favor with a stab to the beast's midsection. Bartol's anger boiled as the smell of first blood was released. He stepped in for a strike. His blow was fended off by the agile beast. Thane cast a spell which outlined the creature in multicoloured hues. Bernedette fired off a ray, which at first appeared to weaken the owlbear, but then had no effect. The quarters were to tight for Valgrim so he summoned Lathander's magic to surpress some of the creature's strength. Timmay, the wolverine, and the cat waited in the wings with the light source.

The creature tried to grab Marcus of Tyr, but was only able to glance off his armor. Bartol was not so fortunate as the beast bit him on the arm. Marcus of Tyr and Bartol both struck the creature. Thane launched a flask of burning oil, which splashed all over owlbear's chest. Unfortunately, the oil also burned Marcus of Tyr. Bernedette tried another ray. This one was like a string of icicles. It worked but seemed to have little effect on the creature. Valgrim moved closer and healed Marcus of Tyr.

The creature reached out and grabbed the raging Bartol. Bartol nearly passed out from the concussion of both of those paws and claws grasping him. Only his fury kept him alive. The creature began to back away. Marcus of Tyr in a parting shot stabbed the beast. Bartol raged and raged to escape, but to no avail. The beast was still by far stronger than the half-human. Thane moved closer and struck the final blow with his cudgel. The fire so close to Bartol was enough to cause him to lose consciousness. Valgrim and Bernedette bent to his aid. Lathander's magic stirred Bartol.

Bartol the barbarian raged and raged all over the dead beast.

Remove ads