• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Banewarrens Grail Quest Team 2

Teneb

Explorer
I'm running Banewarrens for my 9th level party in the Oathbound campaign setting. They're about to obtain the "key" to the warrens, and once they gain entry they're going to get smacked by Grailquest team 2 from the Pactlords. I'm ignoring the composition of the team as written, because I'm after something a little different.

I'd like this encounter to be about control, and the PCs losing that control. Grailquest team 2 (IMC) is made up of a mind flayer and several blues who are all psions. I don't want to mind control the party; that's no fun. Instead, I want to weaken them, slow them down, mess with their normal routines. Two questions:

1. What powers would be advantageous for GQT2 to use to defend themselves? Psions are made out of paper mache, and I need these guys to stick around for awhile. Items/ideas for mooks are also welcome.

2. What are some interesting powers that "mess" with the party? Combos are particularly encouraged.

The party is made up of a rogue/kineticist, druid, swashbuckling paladin, and an evoker. I have a really good handle on 3.0 psionics, but this will be my first major foray into 3.5 psionics. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Vigor is great for psions health, +5 hp a level, that you know they are going to burn through.
all mooks carrying a vigor stone(scroll) created by the mindflayer to use in the middle of combat.

Energy stun is nice as well - a small area effect that has a poor chance of stunning, but if you get hit with 3 in a round, each one effecting 2+ PCs someone is going down (esp if they have been mind blasted first and cant escape the area.

Energy Ray - sonic for destroying items.

One Shaper who lays down a line of overchannled Astral constructs to keep the melee boys busy.

Ectoplasmic goo is to reduce mobility -

I had a blast running a party against a Lair of blue goblins - The leader came out to try and repel the first attack, and he burned through most of his power in Prep + 5 rounds, then fought on using minimum power for 4 more before escaping.

Teneb

Explorer
Anyone else have any thoughts? I don't want the party getting a lot of items from this either, so throw-away items for the baddies are also appreciated.

diaglo

Adventurer
poison and level drain are better. think about changing your team.

the reprecussions of having to find some way to restore their stats can be very slowing for a party. stops and makes them think too.

esp if you enerygy drain the cleric and druid. ;)

Remove ads