• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Banks in DnD

Malakye

First Post
I was wondering how everybody else handles banks in a DnD setting. I am starting a campaign in Daggerford in the FR and the Daggerford booklet from the North box set has an entry for a moneylending company. They cast a geas on you or put a cursed ring on your finger that makes you come back and pay the loan at 20% interest.

One of my players wants to store money there and will want to know if it costs anything, what kind of insurance they have against theft, how much he can store there and if it has to be just coins. If it is items or gems, are they handled differently?

Anybody have any ideas or done this before?

Crothian

First Post
I have a church of a particuliar god serve as banks. They charge a modest fee but one is able to retrieve the money at any temple as long as you give them a day.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Crothian said:
I have a church of a particuliar god serve as banks. They charge a modest fee but one is able to retrieve the money at any temple as long as you give them a day.
the church of Waukeen would serve this purpose well, but they don't even have a shrine in Daggerford...(IIRC)

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
Crothian said:

I think thats the best idea... In FR, the church of Waukeen could do the job.

I'd assume that there were moneylenders and money-changers in a fantasy medieval setting, but banks... Who would use banks anyway except adventurers? if you don't have any gold, you don't need to store it. If you have plenty of gold, you probably can defend it yourself...

Maitre D

Malakye

First Post
True, the Church of Waukeen could do it but they don't have a temple or shrine in Daggerford, wait.....my pencil is moving.....oh look, a shrine to Waukeen just appeared in Daggerford. Huh, it's amazing how that happens. :D

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Malakye said:
True, the Church of Waukeen could do it but they don't have a temple or shrine in Daggerford, wait.....my pencil is moving.....oh look, a shrine to Waukeen just appeared in Daggerford. Huh, it's amazing how that happens. :D
it's a miracle! :D

Malakye

First Post
My question now is what kind of guarantees would they have against theft? Using the Church of Waukeen lends some credibility to them having some sort of insurance against theft. They are a big enough, and rich enough, organization to be able to cover the losses.

That still leaves the question of any fees to store money there and if items are handled differently than coins.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
well, they could have vaults, like big safety-deposit boxes, built in no-magic zones or with plenty of magical defenses...

i went and looked up some 1e and 2e material on Waukeen and some locations that are known to be money obsessed ( :p ) like Amn, but i can't find any examples of banks in FR (at least in the stuff i have...)

SonOfLilith

First Post
Well, I know they had banks back in the day in Venice(sp?). In fact, it was one of the first places to use a modern-day banking system where you gave money to a bank and you could draw it out from any other location. they did this through very large lists that where constantly being updated at all the banks of the same name. Before this, you could only extract the money out of the same exact bank, or else cart your money arround. This helped venice become so popular with the merchants. Anyway, that is how it was done, take it or leave it I suppose.

Remove ads