Banned for life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never compared him to holocaust victims. I loosely compared two environments.

The point is that if the consequences are so dire that they effectively remove the option to say what you want to say you are then effectively prohibited from saying it. A choice between saying something and losing your job is no choice at all.

The quote you posted was about the government literally coming to round people up because of who they were. That is not analogous to this situation at all. The holocaust wasnt about freedom of speech.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
MC is always a hoot.

So far, in his tenure in the league, he's racked up 3 suspensions and almost $2M in fines himself. Note: he usually matches his NBA fines with charitable donations.

This is a classic. I get what he was saying, and he's right. We all DO have our prejudices. He just said it...poorly.

I don't think he said it poorly. Hell, he went out of his way to make his bias show as equal. People just get offended too easily. The same people that wanted him to apologize probably feel exactly the same way - hell, I'd wager you do, too - not saying you were one looking for an apology, though.

Meh, it's all just so many people lying blatantly (not saying you're one). We think speaking out against this stuff makes us look better - and that's what we want, to look better. It's the appearance and nothing more. The reality is we're not that good and there's no reason to be. The dishonesty is preventing real progress and nobody cares.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
The quote you posted was about the government literally coming to round people up because of who they were. That is not analogous to this situation at all. The holocaust wasnt about freedom of speech.

Then you missed my point entirely. Now, which one of us is supposed to apologize for that?

Seriously, though, you're hyperfocusing on the words. I'm not saying that 'they' are gonna come and round up everyone who says something 'they' don't like and gas 'em in a shower and burn their bodies in massive ovens constructed specifically for the purpose, I'm saying that if we don't defend this now - even if we don't agree with what's said - eventually we'll be in a position that nothing is defensible. I speak now so that hopefully someone will be left to speak for me if that need ever arises. The real goal, of course, is to never have that happen, to stop the trend now.

Bro, you're not looking at the message of that passage because you're too busy looking at the history. Those words were written in a specific time about a specific event but they're powerful enough to transcend it. In other words, I didn't use it to literally refer to anything.

Bro, you're not looking at the message of that passage because you're too busy looking at the history. Those words were written in a specific time about a specific event but they're powerful enough to transcend it. In other words, I didn't use it to literally refer to anything.

You can't both invoke the holocaust and not invoke it. Every one knows what that passage refers to and what historical context it was set against. Using that quote immediately invokes the holocaust. Do what you want but it is a rhetorical tactic people are going to call out.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
You can't both invoke the holocaust and not invoke it. Every one knows what that passage refers to and what historical context it was set against. Using that quote immediately invokes the holocaust. Do what you want but it is a rhetorical tactic people are going to call out.

... yeah, people who don't understand what I was doing (protip: I wasn't invoking the holocaust) in spite of my explanations will call it out. And I really won't care that they do. I compared nothing to the hololcaust. If someone can't see that because they refuse to look deeper there's nothing I can do. If you want to believe I'm saying 'they' are coming to take you to the train station, go ahead. I obviously can't stop you and I see no reason in trying to politely convince you again.

And people say words do things. Wow ... the number of times people have either ignored what I've said or blatantly refused to listen to an explanation pretty much proves that words don't do jack. I find this ... satisfyingly amusing. I have six letters I'd love to post but have been asked not to. I could post them, of course, but then I'd likely be banned so, you know ... I can't.

Man, I love this. I really do. There's real life examples of a few of my points happening in the argument in which I'm trying to make them. You can't ask for more than that. Er, I guess I could ask for others to actually take a look at what's happening and see it but, you know, words don't ... and there it is again! Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads