• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Banning a Player from my Group. Am I Justified?

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Your both adults. I don't see why you need any more justification than simply not enjoying playing with the guy. As long as it was handled in a mature matter and did not result in a fist fight, you have not done anything that calls for justification.

END COMMUNICATION

Eric Tolle

First Post
My only add -on to the advice that's been given out before is that this situation isn't at all about the rules, but rather about respect, and willingness to play fairly. The rules are but a front- this is really about his relationship with you.

And frankly, there doesen't sound like any reason to actually deal with this guy, since his relationship with you is toxic.

Drakmar

Explorer
you could treat this like any negotiation. Try to understand what his interests/motivations are, and have a guess at what his walk away situation is... and at the same time work out what your interests/motivations are. Then combined with a few of the standards, you can work out options... and then put them to him in a nice calm manner.

ie.. your interests - have fun, have a consistent set of rules for everybody (that is 3.5), have a positive gaming relationship with your players.
his interests - feeling important or special, maintaining some form of power (if he has joined a group of people who he doesn't really know, he may be feeling intimidated and reverting to behaviours that make him feel secure)
your alternatives - boot him, find a new player, never talk to him again.
his alternatives - find a new group that plays the old system
standards - game system is 3.5. The group has the books even if he doesn't.

options - the group changes to the old system.
he accepts the fact that the rules are 3.5 and plays
he doesn't accept the fact the rules are 3.5, shuts up, and plays anyway with the knowledge that not knowing the rules means he has no option to argue about them.

This sounds like he has some self-esteem issues which could lead to many different behaviours... or he is just a..... (insert appropriate word here).

D.

Nah, don't kick him out; start doing evil things to his PC. Sex change, Dolly Parton style. Level drains. Thieves that made off with his magic items. Poison that works the hardcore AD&D way, instead of the 3E way (he can't complain on that one). Start referring to him as "Sir Gardakan." Et cetera. :D :p

(I'm just joking -- kick him out and have done.)

I say be gone!! Booting unwanted players is fun. I never hesitate to kick out or simple eliminate a player that ruins our fun, rubs me the wrong way, or acts like a wowky rules-lawyer in the game. Death to all interlopers!!! Die die die!!!

GQuail

Explorer
PapersAndPaychecks said:
Why is this labelled 1e/2e/OD&D when it's clearly a 3.x thread?

Because it's the first option on the listr and people who aren't paying attention to them will leave it as that?

OP: I'm going to join the long list of people telling you to kick him out. A rules disagreement at the table is one thing: and I don't begrudge people not picking up copies of the core rules themselves. (Especially when things like d20srd mean you can read most of what a player needs online) BUt someone who, when running a campaign, basically refuses to learn the rules because he's got an older, totally different ruleset book at home? That's like saying you know the rules to Poker, so you won't bother looking up the rules of Bridge and just play anyway.

Even if I don't think you behaved the right way ion leaving the session, if this guy can get you to that level of anger with this, he's an enormous problem: keeping him is only gonna ruin the game for everyone. I would probably speak to him and tell him that it's obviously not working out: I wouldn't use too loaded words like "childish" or "lazy", but I wouldn't really debate it either. Part of being a GM, sucky though it is, is being the final arbiter of teh session - you gotta be the one to hav the stones to say, "You ain't joining us no more".

Midknightsun

Explorer
As someone who is currently going through a somewhat similar situation, I can sympathize. Unfortunately, he is my friend, so I didn't have the stones to boot him. As a result, I'm about to lose one good player, and probably another within a short time due to his continual and repetitive whining. You did the right thing to boot him. Otherwise you AND everyone else would be dragged through this individual's misery, and other people would start leaving.

Jerks should be told to pound sand. . . .correction, buried under sand from the neck down.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads