• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Barbarian preview!

That's Tanis and Kitiara, just so you know. :)

Tanis shaved his beard for the pic then? Man that is a confusing pic, either Tanis has gone Beef, super expensive sworded and clean shaven or Riverwind has gone ginger. Parkinsons art takes a lot of poetic licence, a reason why he's never been one of my faves. Your provided Elmore much better.

ANd Riverwind was a Ranger from a barbarian tribe, not a D&D class Barbarian. Another reason to drop the Barbarian class name and pick up Beserker, which describes it so much better. But, yeah, sacred cows.

Tanis shaved his beard for the pic then? Man that is a confusing pic, either Tanis has gone Beef, super expensive sworded and clean shaven or Riverwind has gone ginger. Parkinsons art takes a lot of poetic licence, a reason why he's never been one of my faves. Your provided Elmore much better.

It's from one of the prequel books, before he grew the beard. And I don't remember any explanation for any of the other art details anywhere in the text.

Fair enough he grew a beard during the 5 years the companions were seeing the world. But why on earth is he or Kit dressed like that, just awful. Not awful in and of itself but if I saw that without knowing it was DL I'd have no idea who they were.

Hussar

Legend

ANd Riverwind was a Ranger from a barbarian tribe, not a D&D class Barbarian. Another reason to drop the Barbarian class name and pick up Beserker, which describes it so much better. But, yeah, sacred cows.

To be fair, when Dragonlance came out, there was no barbarian class in D&D. Dragonlance (particularly when it was being originally played) predates that Unearthed Arcana by quite a bit. Rangers quite often were associated with the barbarian archetype. Even in 2e, which also had no barbarian class, had a number of Ranger kits that were barbarian in nature (no pun intended).

To be fair, when Dragonlance came out, there was no barbarian class in D&D. Dragonlance (particularly when it was being originally played) predates that Unearthed Arcana by quite a bit. Rangers quite often were associated with the barbarian archetype. Even in 2e, which also had no barbarian class, had a number of Ranger kits that were barbarian in nature (no pun intended).

Oh yeah I know that, but also Riverwind never showed any sign of going into a rage, apart from escaping Xak Tsaroth. But also lots of Ranger-y stuff, tracking etc.

Remove ads