• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bard Creation Guide? (Or should I create something else?)

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I'm just starting a bard character, and I'm going for the loremaster/poet approach: high int and cha, knowledge skills, and social skills dominating most other traits.

Dunno how long he'll live, but I plan to have fun.

Daniel

As other has mentioned, the bard is mainly a supporting character. As long as you design and play one with that it mind, things should go pretty smoothly. Use Inspire Courage as often as possible, and expect to be sitting in the dead center of fights to give it to as many allies as possible. Keeping that in mind, HP and AC are key to keeping you alive. A good concentration skill is also a must to let you cast buff spells on others while they are fighting.

One of the best feats for a Bard that wants to do better in melee combat is Arcane Strike from CW. It lets you turn your spells into bonuses to hit and damage.

JIMBOTHEBLACK

First Post
The bard is one of my favorite classes, and It's a good choice for frontman. I wouldn't want to see your friends faces after a big mouthed dwarven bard gets them killed, and halflings are too shy to make a good representative for a band of courageous heroes, so definately go for the gnome, they're daring and likeable and with the right skills can be the party's social savior.

The gnome makes a good bard, but a halfling would be just as good.

Check out the story hour named River's End that's full of my bard's adventures.

sorry for the shameless plug....

They have already mentioned the social skills necessary, but just to make sure you can be much more useful in combat pick up Use Magic Device... You can pick up two feats to also help Point Blank Shot, and Precise Shot. Then use wands like Ray of Enfeeblement. That will make you very useful. When all else fails you can resort to Magic Missiles like my character.

Remove ads