• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bard: Dirge of Inescapable Doom

Alnag

First Post
Hi. I wonder if ability Dirge of Inescapable Doom (Bard Paragon Path - Grave Caller, AP page 20) modifies the encouter power or it is effect on itself. Or to put it more clearly:

Is the miss damage just: 1d6+Cha modifier
Or is it 1d6+Cha modifier + all the modifiers one would have with the power he used (eg. enhancement bonus of the implement etc.)

The wording says If you miss with encounter attack power ... the attack still deals ... damage. Which sounds to me like its modification to the power itself. But I am neither a native speaker nor sure about nuance of wording.

Destil

Explorer
I would think that it would not include other modifiers. It's a feature of a class; if they wanted it to modify powers they would have made it something like:
'Your encounter powers gain a miss line of 1d6+Charisma modifier damage"

mneme

Explorer
It's only 1d6+CHA Mod.

This is incorrect.

When a class feature (or feat,or whatever) modifies an attack, it modifies the power giving the attack.

So when an Implement attack misses and (due to your Deathmark) inflicts 1d6+Cha, it also benefits from anything that affects damage rolls on that power -- including other powers, implement/weapon bonuses, item bonuses to damage rolls, etc.

If they'd wanted it to not benefit from those, they'd have made Deathmark's extra damage to be a separate power and do its own damage.

Blackbrrd

First Post
This is incorrect.

When a class feature (or feat,or whatever) modifies an attack, it modifies the power giving the attack.

So when an Implement attack misses and (due to your Deathmark) inflicts 1d6+Cha, it also benefits from anything that affects damage rolls on that power -- including other powers, implement/weapon bonuses, item bonuses to damage rolls, etc.

If they'd wanted it to not benefit from those, they'd have made Deathmark's extra damage to be a separate power and do its own damage.
This is correct.

Remove ads