• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bard does not suck!

FadedC

First Post
I'm of the camp that the 3.5 bard does not suck if played well. The 4E bard secondary role seems to be quite a big part of the bard now. Either way, I'm looking forward to playing one.

Yeah I had a high level 3.5 bard, he actually contributed quite a bit to the party. On the flip side he was probably the single most boring character to play (in combat at least) that I have ever had. Although he was a respectable fighter, in almost every case it was far more efficient for me to spend the round singing or casting a mass party buff like haste. As a result I could easily just give instructions on what I was going to do for the next 4 rounds and then go out and grab a bite to eat. Given that this was 3.5, those 4 rounds would usually last about an hour and then the fight would be over. It was unusual for me to have to make a combat decision.

At lower level though the bard was more fun. His buffs were weaker and less numerous and other people didn't overshadow him quite as much in combat and spellcasting. As a result you could more easily justify taking an action other then buffing the party.

zag01

First Post
So I was reading over the Bard and it does seem pretty cool.

One thing thats been bugging me though. They get simple and military ranged weapons but not one of thier powers uses ranged weapons.

Has anyone figured that out yet? I guess you can multiclass to pick something up but it seems strange.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
So I was reading over the Bard and it does seem pretty cool.

One thing thats been bugging me though. They get simple and military ranged weapons but not one of thier powers uses ranged weapons.

Has anyone figured that out yet? I guess you can multiclass to pick something up but it seems strange.

Well, there are times when you may just want to make a ranged basic attack - such as when granted a free one by an ally's power, or when you just can't get close enough to bring your target within range of your ranged powers.

The multiclassing aspect shouldn't be dismissed either, since Bards are built to multiclass.

Danceofmasks

First Post
Eh, it could also just be for completeness' sake.
Fighters can use longbows, too ... they just tend never to.
Also, greatweapon fighters and tempest fighters are still proficient with heavy shields ...

Just 'cos a character knows how to do something doesn't mean there isn't a better choice ... like throwing a javelin instead.

Ceraus

First Post
Eh, it could also just be for completeness' sake.
Fighters can use longbows, too ... they just tend never to.
Also, greatweapon fighters and tempest fighters are still proficient with heavy shields ...

Just 'cos a character knows how to do something doesn't mean there isn't a better choice ... like throwing a javelin instead.

Agreed. My campaign's Elf Dex Druid loves her free bow proficiency.

Artoomis

First Post
Well, I suppose there could be a some sort of ranged weapon powers in Arcane Power. You never know - though we do know there will be some bard stuff in it.

Joker

First Post
My bard is based on Tana Umanga. The captain you see in the following clip.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44F9HFc77Bs[/ame]

Last edited:

Remove ads