• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Bard is the biggest mystery in the 5.75e PHB

Staffan

Legend
The fact that the rule was none functional after Tasha's, but could work before shows that it was 5.5e.
Before Tasha's, Xanathar's was pretty much the only rules expansion to the game. So core + 1 automatically made Xanathar's your plus-one. Unless you really really really wanted one of the spells from the Elemental Player's Handbook that didn't make it to Xanathar's, or one of the subclasses from Sword Coast.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Before Tasha's, Xanathar's was pretty much the only rules expansion to the game. So core + 1 automatically made Xanathar's your plus-one. Unless you really really really wanted one of the spells from the Elemental Player's Handbook that didn't make it to Xanathar's, or one of the subclasses from Sword Coast.
For a lot of AL players, the complaint was that they could not use Races from Volo's or Mordenkainen's at the same time as Subclasses from Xanathar's.

CapnZapp

Legend
Henadic, are you replying to someone who has me blocked? Some of your posts seem to be non-sequiturs.
He's discussing with Parmandur.

Pro tip: let's assume you're reading this on Chrome on your phone. Share the page into a second browser (say Opera) where you have not logged in to ENWorldl.

You can now read the entire thread, complete with posts from people the Ignore system otherwise would block.

This is very quick and convenient on a phone; but manually copying the URL into the second browser would of course work on desktop too.

No because Tasha's was too big a change to be a mere 5.25.

I base my number on how some folks called OG Patherfinder D&D 3.75e.
Tasha's was not even the same order of magnitude to the 3.0 -> 3.5 change. It didn't, for example, change the number of skills in the game and rewrite half the spells (including changing an entire school of magic). If we're comparing it to 3.5 it was about a PHB2 level change, or possibly a Minis handbook level change (which added Swift Actions to the game very early). Comparing it to the Pathfinder changes is simply laughable.

5.1 possibly.

And for the 2024 edition I'm going to suggest 5eR, or 5R (R for Revised) or 5.24.

But we remain to see how much grit there will be when trying to mesh the two underlying systems together. Whether it will be like 3.5 where there were on a first reading not that many changes, but a whole lot of gear-grindingly incompatible stuff or whether it will work fairly smoothly.

Last edited:

Remove ads