• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Bard-ish prestige class for Sorcerer?

Morlock

Banned
Banned
Specific parts of the bard, anyway. Something that grants Bardic Performance, Versatile Performance, and adds a verbal component to every spell. Plus whatever considerable drawbacks would be required to pay for the goodies; if nothing premade (and balanced) is available, suggestions on how I might proceed are more than welcome.

Last edited:

Morlock

Banned
Banned
I think giving up 1 spell of each level the sorcerer can cast would be more than enough to pay for Bardic Performance (with Versatile Performance and verbal components for all spells sort of canceling each other out). Too much?

Last edited:

Starfox

Hero
Bardic performance is actually a very powerful ability; I'd not let it be traded for a mere 1 spell slot per level.

Also, it seems the OP is looking for an archetype more than a prestige class. Sadly, I've not seen (or made) one along these lines.

If I made one, I'd use the base values of the bard, add some sorcerer spells, add a bloodline, and remove armor, bab, hd. After that I'd start doing some balancing math... Think it would be hard to keep spells above 6th level.

Morlock

Banned
Banned
To clarify, I'm writing up a homebrew version of D&D. I'm using 3.5/Pathfinder as the base, but starting with an "opt-in" sensibility. I.e., nothing's "in" until I add it. I want to keep it simple and streamlined, like BECMI. I'm doing away with all classes except Fighter, Rogue, Priest, and Magic-User. They're like the 3.5/PF classes, except Priest is now a pure divine spellcasting class, all combat abilities removed, with improved casting to compensate. That's to make the multiclassing more straightforward, because multiclassing is how you make a classic Ranger (fighter + rogue + priest/MU), classic Paladin (fighter + priest), classic Bard (MU + fighter + rogue), and other character concepts.

So, a "pure" Bard (Bard w/o fighter or rogue abilities) in this system is basically a tweaked MU.

I'll have to go back and look at Bardic Performance. I'm not that familiar with 3e/PF, so I'm sort of learning as I go.

Morlock

Banned
Banned
How about -1 spell slot per level the Bard can cast, Bards don't get bonus spells for high stats/CHA, and some fiddling with the CHA required to cast a given spell level; 16 + spell level.

Last edited:

CubeB

Explorer
Pathfinder Unchained's Variant Multiclassing system lets you trade half your feats for bard features, Performance being one of them. However, you don't get Bardic Performance until level 7, and you don't get Versatile Performance until level 11.

There's also a -4 effective level penalty on abilities, among other things.

Remove ads