Bard limitations.

Velira Evangeline

Banned
Banned
Ok, so here is the deal my friends. I have a lovely little bard whom is aching for RP action but there is a small problem. I have no knowledge of the d20 system or what not and i would like some help on what bards can and cannot do. I would like for Velira to be a new style of bard so I was wandering, can bards use magic to modify the sound of their instruments and voices? Is there a sort of spell to do that? Oh and also, can a vampire be a bard? Or is that not possible? I hope someone an help out.

Al-Haatif

First Post
Yes and yes. First thing that comes to my mind is the 3rd-level bard spell, Sculpt Sound. Bards are nonlawful, and vampires are chaotic evil. So a vampiric bard is more than possible.

Though playing the traditionial vampire means yu would rather destroy lives and kill then probably play music for them, but its freeform, and ISRP is well known for there Diva Vampires, so it shouldn't atleast be a problem for anyone.

But if I could offer some information, as a bard making music, even if a spell says it will effect an audiance, it usually wont, and characters might not even notice your characters bardic abilities -at first- so don't be discouraged!

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Plus, remember, this is free form. It doesn't matter if it's within the rules of D&D, WoD, TriStat, Marvel, etc. If you can think of it, you can do it. As long as it doesn't violate the CoC or setting rules, of course.
A lot of us do use D&D rules as a frame of reference (helpful to have a frame work), and, of course, the settings for some of the rooms are from published worlds. But, it's not required to use the rules.

(anagrams ['cause I've been called on using too many before ;)] - D&D: Dungeons and Dragons; WoD: World of Darkness; CoC: Code of Conduct)

Last edited:

Velira Evangeline

Banned
Banned
Ah I see. Well I just want to make the sound of her instrument different. whether or not people pay attention to her is something that will change over tiem. I have started alot of characters that would just sit there untill they were noticed. XD Happens alot. And as for the vampire bard, I just wanted to have a vampire that would sing hateful and animotic songs instead of the norm you hear from a bard. We have to have a balance somewhere. And besides, we all love to have vampies and and they loved to be hated. So it works nicely. lol So, with this spell, I can make her guitar sound... grungy? Like an electric? Or are there many possibilities?

Velira Evangeline

Banned
Banned
Yes, it is free form. But before my 2 year break from the site i tended to get into quarrels with people over the whole freeform. I guess now I just want to make sure I'm not building a char that will rise conflict. Though I think that is inevitable.

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Yeah, it's gonna happen. I think having spells affect the sound of the intrument (and voice) is perfectly reasonable. But, consider - where did the char hear that sound? Is is just from her own imagination? Think through a character reason for everything, and you should be good to go for anyone raising objections.
People complain about the sappy songs most bards sing; should be interesting to see something coming from the other direction. Will probaby still get complaints - but, hey, long as it's all in character, within the Code of Conduct (etc, usual disclaimers), it should be fun.

Velira Evangeline

Banned
Banned
I totally agree. Well then, I will take your advice and make sure she is whithin the CoC. I appreciate your help on this matter, it makes me feel a little more courageous on this character idea. ^_^

I believe if you want to make a different impression on how your songs and playing are heard, you might want to figure out a different way of posting them then others that perform.

The block method, where the character makes clocks of verses, as if copy pasted of a lyrics site (Not trying to offend, just describe) this is not to bad, but it really pushes up other room text almost out of the chat box.

The other.. I can't think of the other right now. Both of them are widely used.

I have see one character that does it, there own style, and that is mixing vocals with the description of the music that was being played, and also did moderate sized posts and spaced them out over the course of atleast minutes. making the song last and to me seem more like a background effect of music, like a real tavern.

All of them work, but I am sure you can also create your own style!

Velira Evangeline

Banned
Banned
I like to put description into the songs. So the the block style I probably won't use. And the appearance of how the song is decribed is very important, yes. To make someone invision the song I will have to put a good bit of detail there. That has gone through my mind as well. I am sure that the style I create will be sufficient for this case. It is just the style of music I am worrying over the most.

Remove ads