• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bard namechange to Warlock

simonski

First Post
Recently I was looking through the classes in the PHB and I discovered that the class that no one EVER plays in my campaigns (or in any ive been playing in myself) is the Bard class. Much because it can seem a bit silly at higher levels to be a master musician that hurls magic around him, playing the flute or whatever. The motivation for a Bard is kind of different from normal characters too, a Cleric do the will of his god, a fighter usually aims at becoming a warlord or something similiar. A magician wants to be the migthiest magician in the world. The Bard wants to be the best musicians !?! Ofcourse this works, it is in no way an unplayable class.

But ponder just making a slight namechange and you got a whole new perspective of the bardclass.

If the Bard is actually a Warlock (or witch), doesnt use an instrument but instead chants demonic prayers when casting his enchantmentspells the class totally changes appearance. The warlock really is quite enchanting talking the demons tongue, the warlock can handle some simple weapons, better than a magician and he can enchant almost anyone with his demonic tongue and hypnotizing eyes.

What do you guys think? Ofcourse this is more like an "option" for the player, those who wish to play BARDS can play them if they like :)

Any of you that has done similar stuff with other classes? Found other uses than just the basic ideas?

Kamard

First Post
Somewhere, I read about barbarians when they go into their rage changing form slightly to reflect internal savagery. Like becoming a ferocious tigeresque humanoid while raging. This seems like the kind of cosmetic change you are interested in here.

simonski

First Post
Cool idea regarding the barbarians, but that have to fit the campaign ofcourse :)

I pondered the other day with a friend about the sorcerer class, if they use internal magic they really should have some cosmetic changes when they reach higher levels because their "inner power is increasing" so it would be cool if it would be physical cosmetic changes like that the eyeslids become catlike or their tongue becomes cloven or whatever, up to the players choice but it would be nice to see. Now sorcerers just seems like wizards that dont have to memorize :)

Kamard

First Post
simonski said:
Cool idea regarding the barbarians, but that have to fit the campaign ofcourse :)

I agree. I allow it in my game as a supplement to other types of barbarians- one other type is a chaotic monastic order which seeks to externalize energy rather than internalize it like a monk.

Now sorcerers just seems like wizards that dont have to memorize :)

See, I feel like what sorcerors need is focus. For one, I request that sorcerors have some sort of theme for their magic. If I was going to make their physical appearance change, it would be to reflect this. So if a sorceror had primarily spells which deal with acid, their features might become weather beaten and vague, and any clothing they wore would stink of vinegar and become threadbare easily. I don't hold with that dragonblood crud in my campaign (IMC, most sorcerors are spellcasters who have found a way to tap into an alien form of energy which comes from a meteor that fell from beyond the sky- ie, the outer planes, whereas wizards tap into ley lines that run over the gigantic stone body of a fallen avatar, aka the continent the game takes place on).

DungeonKeeperUK

First Post
simonski said:
The Bard wants to be the best musicians !?! Ofcourse this works, it is in no way an unplayable class.

I don't think the motivation for the bard is to become the best musicion, I look on them more as a storyteller, a storyteller who seeks out the adventures to speak/sing of, and someone who looks to track down the truth behind the legends and lore he speaks of etc etc

simonski said:
If the Bard is actually a Warlock (or witch), doesnt use an instrument but instead chants demonic prayers when casting his enchantmentspells the class totally changes appearance. The warlock really is quite enchanting talking the demons tongue, the warlock can handle some simple weapons, better than a magician and he can enchant almost anyone with his demonic tongue and hypnotizing eyes.

Like the idea (seen the NetBook of Witches on the FaNCC ) but I think this idea is more suited to the Sorceror class with a bit of artistic licence...

simonski

First Post
Kamard said:

See, I feel like what sorcerors need is focus. For one, I request that sorcerors have some sort of theme for their magic. If I was going to make their physical appearance change, it would be to reflect this. So if a sorceror had primarily spells which deal with acid, their features might become weather beaten and vague, and any clothing they wore would stink of vinegar and become threadbare easily. I don't hold with that dragonblood crud in my campaign (IMC, most sorcerors are spellcasters who have found a way to tap into an alien form of energy which comes from a meteor that fell from beyond the sky- ie, the outer planes, whereas wizards tap into ley lines that run over the gigantic stone body of a fallen avatar, aka the continent the game takes place on).

Sounds very nice, they do need a focus I agree, it can be alot of fun for the player to work out these cosmetic changes on his character too :)

DM_Matt

First Post
Kamard said:
Somewhere, I read about barbarians when they go into their rage changing form slightly to reflect internal savagery. Like becoming a ferocious tigeresque humanoid while raging. This seems like the kind of cosmetic change you are interested in here.

How about they just do that "grrrrr" thing like vamps do in Buffy when THEY go into combat mode?

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
simonski said:

What do you guys think? Of course this is more like an "option" for the player, those who wish to play BARDS can play them if they like :)

This is brilliant work! Great idea for what is to me an otherwise uninteresting class. The cosmetic change to barbarian rage idea is great, too. Damn! I just might play a barbarian or bard after all with these cool changes! :D

Remove ads