• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bard Rituals rules question

cmrscorpio

Explorer
So, bards can cast a certain number of rituals per day without expending components. The specific terminology is "you can perform one bard ritual per day of your level or lower without expending components, although you must pay any other costs and use any focus required by the ritual."

My question: Does this mean that bards may only use this ability for rituals with Prerequisite: Bard? Or, may any rituals be used?

My player has stated "I figured "bard rituals" were any ritual learned through the "Bardic Training" class feature, since 4e got away from categorizing rituals by class as in earlier editions. After all, are there "wizard rituals"?"

My logic is that there are rituals with Prerequisite: Bard. I take it to mean that those are the rituals that are intended to be cast without components. Otherwise, Enchant Magic Item becomes way too overpowered for a bard to use once per day without having to use components.

Is there any official clarification for this issue?

fuzzlewump

First Post
Indeed, if it was for any ritual, it would have just said, "you can perform one ritual per day," instead of "one bard ritual per day." The text before that in the PHB2 makes it especially clear to me:
You gain the Ritual Caster feat as a bonus feat, allowing you to use magical rituals. You own a ritual book, and it contains two rituals of your choice that you have mastered: one 1st-level ritual that has bard as a prerequisite (see Chapter 4) and another 1st-level ritual.

the Jester

Legend
My question: Does this mean that bards may only use this ability for rituals with Prerequisite: Bard? Or, may any rituals be used?

Prerequisite: Bard.

My player has stated "I figured "bard rituals" were any ritual learned through the "Bardic Training" class feature, since 4e got away from categorizing rituals by class as in earlier editions. After all, are there "wizard rituals"?"

No, but there are no rituals with Prerequisite: Wizard, and there are rituals with Prerequisite: Bard.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads