• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Bard Spellcasting Focus Question

NeutronSoup

Explorer
I'm probably (most likely) overthinking this, but I'm trying to get my head around spellcasting focuses as they relate to the bard. Since Bard spells are cast through music, my assumption was that the musical instrument serving as a focus would need to be played, which seems to require two hands in almost all cases. However, that would leave no hands free for the somatic component of the spell, and the spellcasting focus only replaces the Material component. I suppose you could argue that playing the instrument IS the somatic component, but that still leaves the issue of using a weapon while needing two hands free to cast spells, which would significantly reduce the attractiveness of the College of Valor. It would pretty much restrict you to using a one-handed weapon with no shield, and you would lose the ability to take opportunity attacks after you cast a spell (Since you probably would have sheathed your weapon that turn.)

I know that in the playtest, Cleric focuses just needed to be worn or displayed on a shield, but I can't find anything to that effect about any sort of focus in the PHB. Is there any prevailing wisdom on how Bard spellcasting Focuses (Or spellcasting focuses in general) work at the moment?

drjones

Explorer
I'd rule that you need to play one of your instruments to eschew material components and that includes the somatic as well. That means you can't have a weapon out in most cases but I don't think they will be attacking and casting on the same turn anyway. Some of the instruments are a lot more cumbersome than others but pulling out a flute quick or swinging your lute around on its strap is easier than drawing a greataxe.

But then they don't have to use the focus. If they want to be stealthy or something there are always the normal materials.

Li Shenron

Legend
Since Bard spells are cast through music

I don't have the PHB, what does the text actually say about this? Does it actually require the Bard to play some music each time she casts a spell? Wasn't it just supposed to mean that all Bardic spells generically have verbal components, instead?

Haven't read the PHB, but it's kind of a disappointment that they left musical instruments as the bard's only choice of spellcasting focus. (If they did. Are they allowed other sorts of arcane foci?)

However, unless it functions differently than how spellcasting foci work in general now, any bard who wants to can just wear a spell component pouch and forget the instrument in battle. The instrument is just for casting spells on people outside of combat without them knowing what you are doing.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Thanks fro bringing this up! This was a bugbear of mine last summer, and since then through the play test. There are inconsistencies about spell casting foci, and while I think they can be mostly solved at the table, I do wish things were clearer.

For antiquarian interest, we can see the development over the past year:
* Sept 2013: issues concerning number of hands and the list of available instruments (the latter of which was implemented, though a longer list than I'd have liked).
* Sept 2013: how foci (which then granted proficiency bonus to spell DCs) might be "wielded".
* March 2014: proposal for somatic components and implements (incl. for bards)
* March 2014: interactions with tool rules.
* more of the same in June 2014.

Paraxis

Explorer
Most bards will use a component pouch and a musical instrument, since it is just to for spells with a material component anyway. It is not like it was in one of the playtests where you had to hold your focus to gain your proficiency bonus to the spell DC, so a bard with a rapier in one hand and a spell component pouch or flute in his off hand works just fine.

This thread also made me think of native american flute staffs, that would be a cool idea too.

Tormyr

Hero
I would be interested in combinations of musical instrument and weapon. Most would not be practical or really work, but they could be interesting.

A harp/bow combination (stringing/unstringing the bow would be a pain)
A dagger or short sword with a recorder in the handle (make sure you address the correct end)
Clubs used as percussion (like a Stomp performance)
I could also see a set of tuning forks in a bandoleer be a focus for a non-instrument bard (pull one out for the correct starting note)
Down the road, maybe a magic sword that rings with the same starting note each time it is struck.

Baumi

Adventurer
As I understand it, if you can either use a Spellcasting Focus or a Component Pouch, so you don't need a musical instrument if you don't want to. Also the hand that uses the Focus or Pouch can also be used for the Somatic Component. So in the end you need one hand for the Focus or Pouch and the Somatic Gestures and the other is free for the Weapon or a Shield (except if you have a two-handed Musical Instrument).

By the way I really like the combo of a small Drum on your belt, that gets beaten with your hand, stick or small hammer while the other hammers in the same Rythm on the Skulls of your Enemies (especially fitting if you play a Dwarven Bard). :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads