• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bardic Lore vs. Knowledges

Lord Ravinous

First Post
I'm putting together a Cloistered Cleric (Unearthed Arcana) and since I've never been much on the bard my mechanics knowledge is a bit shakey on the Lore ability.

I'm going for the "sagely" character and plan to invest most of my skill points into knowledges, but would I in essence be wasting my time on Nobility/Royalty and Local since I have (we'll call it) Clerical Lore?

How does lore usually work in ya'lls games?

Vegepygmy

First Post
The examples on page 28 of the Player's Handbook are helpful, I think. If you look at them, they tend to be very specific: a local mayor's reputation for drinking, a mighty wizard's childhood nickname, the history of a particular place or magic item, etc.

Knowledge skills represent the study of an entire class of things; thus, the information I give out is more generally applicable. Another way to think of it is information you'd be able to learn from reading books or attending lectures (vs. hanging out in bars and talking to people you meet on the street). For example, a successful Knowledge (local) check might indicate that the character knows that towns in a particular region are governed by mayors who are elected every three years; while a successful bardic knowledge check would indicate that the character knows Mayor Babykisser of Pleasantville is a notorious drunkard. A successful Knowledge (nobility and royalty) check might indicate that the character knows the proper form of address for a baron's third cousin is "Your Honor," while a successful bardic knowledge check might indicate that the character knows this particular third cousin's childhood nickname was "Big-Nose."

I hope that helps you.

Starbuck_II

First Post
I'm putting together a Cloistered Cleric (Unearthed Arcana) and since I've never been much on the bard my mechanics knowledge is a bit shakey on the Lore ability.

I'm going for the "sagely" character and plan to invest most of my skill points into knowledges, but would I in essence be wasting my time on Nobility/Royalty and Local since I have (we'll call it) Clerical Lore?

Well, a Dwarf for instance.
Bardic Know/Lore: They don't go down when attacked and dodge blows from giants often.
Know(Local): They have Stability and +4 ACs Giants.

Bardic/Lore: Gives an idea about what it does, but it is generic. And not exact.
Like it might tell you about trolls hate fire (popular tale). But acid would'nt be revealed.

Nobility/royalty is uncommon.
But Local is useful for humaniods.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Well, I allow bardic music at -5 to replace any other knowledge check typically, if the bard doesn't have that skill. That's totally a houserule, though.

It's hard to describe what exactly bardic knowledge entails, though the examples do help to understand. I'd say any kind of social knowledge, anything music or performance related, and anything recorded in or alluded to in writing*. Obviously it could potentially step on the toes of some other knowledges a little, as well as Gather Info. Maybe also use it for random gossip...that's the best I can describe what I allow it for.

*EDIT: I should be more clear. I meant in poems, songs, plays, epics, and stories specifically.

Remove ads