• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bardic Music and Perform (Dance)

Shin Okada

Explorer
from SRD,

Once per day per bard level, a bard can use his song or poetics to produce magical effects on those around him (usually including himself, if desired). While these abilities fall under the category of bardic music and the descriptions discuss singing or playing instruments, they can all be activated by reciting poetry, chanting, singing lyrical songs, singing melodies, whistling, playing an instrument, or playing an instrument in combination with some spoken performance. Each ability requires both a minimum bard level and a minimum number of ranks in the Perform skill to qualify; if a bard does not have the required number of ranks in at least one Perform skill, he does not gain the bardic music ability until he acquires the needed ranks.

Should the categories of Perform skill must be something makes sound? Or, should some of the other categories (such as dance) work?

How about magic items such as Crystal Echo Blade or a weapon with Harmonizing ability? Should those items work for a bard whom performs something does not make sounds?

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
I would rule that production of sound is required.

I personally find that Perform categories are not a particularly well thought out concept. While it may be realistic to say that someone who can perform on the Harp, can't necessarily dance or play a flute, if realism is to be the standard the categories also fail, since it is equally realistic to say that someone who is a Master on the violin, isn't necessarily a master of stand up comedy, dancing, or playing the flute, but at least has some skill in these things.

Given that the categories offer no sort of game utility, and add little or no realism, and that perform is already one of the most marginal skills in the game that DMs have to struggle to find occasions for the skill to matter and showcase it, I don't think that there is anything wrong with just simplifying completely and saying if you can perform, then you can perform anything.

I wouldn't say that sound should be required it's just that if you focus on a non verbal based perform skill, a lot of spells/feats/magic items won't sync well with it.

There is nothing stopping you having multiple skill ranks in different types of perform. Perhaps you pick up perform dance for those sneakier missions, the thing is your allies will have to see you.

But I would suggest having a perform skill that makes some sort of sound just because that's how bards are intended to function.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Consider how many of those Bardic Music effects say that they affect people within hearing range, or say that the target must be able to hear the song?

If you're on a hardwood floor, or a fairly flat slab of rock and your Bard has taps on his shoes, then maybe they'll be able to hear you dance, but one of the general banes of Bards is the Silence spell. I think it's meant to be that way.

Greenfield

Adventurer
With rings on his fingers and bells on his toes?

Pro-tip: Don't expect to make many Move Silently skill checks. :)

As a DM I'd generally rule that "Bardic Music" has to involve music of some kind, or some audible performance or presentation.

Want an excellent example of Poetic Recitation as an Inspire Heroics check?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFiLIsMieiQ The famous duel begins at the 05:10 mark or so.

Lylandra

Adventurer
You may want to take a look at the Pathfinder Bardic Performance rules for an inspiration of non-verbal performances. The rules state that you have to either see or hear the bard for the performance ability to work and some (as dirge of doom etc.) require audible components.

What I find more confusing is that all performances are tied to Charisma. While it isn't too much debateable whether Charisma makes you a good orator or comedian or dancer or not, I don't see taking Cha over Dex when you're playing a violin or the piano. I mean, good for the bard to have a single stat to boost, but it doesn't make too much sense :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads