• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bardic music - detectable?

Nathan

First Post
Hi there!

I have a question concerning the Bardic Music:

When a bard uses suggestion on another person, can (and if how) notice this person that is being suggested. Or only on a failed attempt? What about uninvolved people standing around?

Thank you,

Nathan

Malin Genie

First Post
If they are fascinated, they do not notice the suggestion attempt. Others around who are familiar with bardic abilities might notice the interaction but I would say it is a pretty subtle ability.

Nathan

First Post
Malin Genie said:
If they are fascinated, they do not notice the suggestion attempt. Others around who are familiar with bardic abilities might notice the interaction but I would say it is a pretty subtle ability.

So, what you say is even a failed suggestion isn't noticed by a fascinated creature, right?

Can you give evidence for this? (I have to explain it to my DM...)

Does the fascination ends after a successful/failed suggestion? (Probably, it is in the PHB. I don't have it with me, however.)

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan

First Post
daemonslye said:
I would think this would work similarly to described
on PHB p.150, "Succeeding at a Saving Throw"..

~D
I've read the entry on p. 150 in the PHB. That would mean that on a failed attempt, the victim knows that is being targeted by hostile magic. This would also break the fascination, right?

By the way, if a bard wants to suggest a creature with SR, do they have to roll twice for overcoming SR (one for fascinate, one for suggestion)? This makes the ability somewhat weak, in my opinion. How do you rule this?

Thanks.

MerakSpielman

First Post
Nathan said:

By the way, if a bard wants to suggest a creature with SR, do they have to roll twice for overcoming SR (one for fascinate, one for suggestion)? This makes the ability somewhat weak, in my opinion. How do you rule this?

I would say yes, they have to roll twice. I would not think this makes the ability weak, though, since so few opponents have SR.

Nathan

First Post
MerakSpielman said:

I would say yes, they have to roll twice. I would not think this makes the ability weak, though, since so few opponents have SR.
Hmm, to me at appears as if the percentage of opponents with SR gets higher and higher with higher level.

And, image a human enchanter and a human bard in a human city, and then a drow enchanter and a drow bard in a drow city.

In the second example the bard is much, much weaker than the wizard (concerning any suggestion abilities), compared to the example among the humans.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads