• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bardic songs in real life!

TheBadElf

First Post
Any of Heather Alexander's folk / fantasy stuff, especially March of Cambredth. Best "Inspire Courage" song ever.

The old Welsh song Men of Harlech, memorably featured in Zulu.

It's horribly stereotypical and all, but I always think of Elvish and half-elvish bardic music sounding a lot like Altan or early Clannad.

Orc bards, on the other hand, would probably be more like gangsta rap :)

"Stagger Lee"
There are so many different versions of this song, all telling slightly different versions of the tale. It's exactly wjhat I would consider a modern bardic song, with each group giving their own spin on the story as it gets passed around.

adwyn

Community Supporter
Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and Don Maclean's American Pie are the two examples I used to use for players to explain what a ballad was.

TheLostSoul

Explorer
A lot of Dark/Neo Folk can easily be used by bards. Artists like :Of the Wand and the Moon: and Forseti are great for this purpose. Both mainly use acoustic instruments and focus their lyrics and atmosphere on nature. Blackmore's Night is also great, as already mentioned.

S. Baldrick

Explorer
“The Trees” by Rush. There is a parable in there somewhere.
"Stairway to Heaven” and the various Tolkien inspired songs by Led Zeppelin also come to mind.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Actually, if you're looking more for Ballads, others come to mind:

1) Waylon Jennings "Good Ol' Boys" (the full version)
2) Jimmy Dean's "Big Bad John"
3) Charlie Daniels' "Devil went down to Georgia"
4) "Ballad of Davey Crockett"

Using them as inspiration, songs about legendary folklore heroes making last stands, helping others out, etc. would be perfect, especially since the lyrics can easily change.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads