• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Bards and perform

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Tugger (The Rogue): Hmm, this locked door looks like a doozy. Lothar, drop me a beat.
Lothar (The Bard): [drums his fingers along the wooden body of his lute in a rhythmic pattern]
Tugger: [Nods his head in time with the beat] Yeah, this lock stands no chance now.

Yeah, it just doesn't add up for me.

There may be certain circumstances where this might be feasible though. Under the rules for Working Together, as long as Lothar has proficiency in Thieves' Tools (as a Criminal bard might), he or she can attempt to help Tugger. The rules don't specify the exact way in which Lothar must assist Tugger, only that more than one person helping would be productive. Something like lock-picking advice imparted through a bawdy limerick - provided Lothar can come up with something that rhymes with "lock" or "pick" - might reasonably be judged as sufficient to meet the requirements for Working Together.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
There may be certain circumstances where this might be feasible though. Under the rules for Working Together, as long as Lothar has proficiency in Thieves' Tools (as a Criminal bard might), he or she can attempt to help Tugger. The rules don't specify the exact way in which Lothar must assist Tugger, only that more than one person helping would be productive. Something like lock-picking advice imparted through a bawdy limerick - provided Lothar can come up with something that rhymes with "lock" or "pick" - might reasonably be judged as sufficient to meet the requirements for Working Together.

In that situation I would call for an Int check and allow the tool proficiency to apply. The benefit of the advice would lie in how good the advice is, not how well it rhymed.

Now if for some reason you had to convey the advice in rhyme, then I would call for a performance check.

Good place to remember how skill checks are supposed to work: the player just explains what they want to do, the DM decides what checks are called for. If what you want to do is make a rhyme about lockpicking, then sure I'd call for performance. But if what you want to do is help someone pick a lock, then I would not.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
In that situation I would call for an Int check and allow the tool proficiency to apply. The benefit of the advice would lie in how good the advice is, not how well it rhymed.

Now if for some reason you had to convey the advice in rhyme, then I would call for a performance check.

My adolescent humor goes unappreciated yet again.

Good place to remember how skill checks are supposed to work: the player just explains what they want to do, the DM decides what checks are called for. If what you want to do is make a rhyme about lockpicking, then sure I'd call for performance. But if what you want to do is help someone pick a lock, then I would not.

Right, so the player of Lothar might say "I want to work together with Tugger, offering some lockpicking advice in the form of a bawdy limerick in order to give him an edge." Assuming Lothar was proficient in Thieves' Tools, I would likely not call for an ability check from Lothar. He would just be granting advantage to Tugger's attempt.

jaelis

My adolescent humor goes unappreciated yet again.
Gotta use more smileys dude ;)

Right, so the player of Lothar might say "I want to work together with Tugger, offering some lockpicking advice in the form of a bawdy limerick in order to give him an edge." Assuming Lothar was proficient in Thieves' Tools, I would likely not call for an ability check from Lothar. He would just be granting advantage to Tugger's attempt.
Yes you're right. He is just taking the help action, no check required.

Although I see all of your points, and am willing to let the dm decide if it’s feasible or not, I still digress that in my own life and in the lives of others I know, music is inspiring in many ways one way is clearing the mind and allowing someone to work to their full potential. I’m really just trying to make it more of a fluff way to aid someone as a bard rather than saying hey I know this skill, but you’re better so I decide to aid you.

jaelis

Although I see all of your points, and am willing to let the dm decide if it’s feasible or not, I still digress that in my own life and in the lives of others I know, music is inspiring in many ways one way is clearing the mind and allowing someone to work to their full potential. I’m really just trying to make it more of a fluff way to aid someone as a bard rather than saying hey I know this skill, but you’re better so I decide to aid you.

Like iserith points out, if you're proficient in the task then you can help someone without any check required. If you want to describe that musically, that's really up to you :)

You are familar, I hope, with the exploits of Elan the bard?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0004.html

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Yes you're right. He is just taking the help action, no check required.

If we really want to be technical (and who doesn't?!), it's Working Together outside of combat and Help action inside of combat. I'm not really sure why they created a distinction in the rules but it's there.

Notably, you don't necessarily have to have the proficiency to Work Together, only in the cases of tasks that require proficiency such as picking a lock. You need only be able to attempt the same task alone which doesn't necessarily call for having a particular proficiency nor does it say you must be doing the exact same task in order to assist. So I'd say as long as it makes at least some sense, you meet the requirements for Working Together, and there's no risk for trying, give it a shot! (If the DM consistently rules against it, I'd just leave off though so as to avoid being annoying.)

Remove ads