• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bards > Ever heard of a Songbook Bardic Build?? Or wanna make one??

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
It's kind of complicated, but I had to continue the chain. I'll explain:

Naoise is a ranger PC in my giant Post-Arthurian adventure. There is an NPC Druid named Deirdre, and her bear is Naoise. Amairgen is mentioned there too. Anyway, a player in that game made a PC Druid in another game named Amairgen and his bear was named Deirdre. You see where I'm going? ;)
So your next bear will be named Selene?

I had a Barbarian/Cleric/Druid named Vaqq the Seeker, (who only had an austrian accent because the DM, after disallowing it, suggested the name saying "I'll be Vaqq"), and subsiquently named his bear Arnold.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
So your next bear will be named Selene?

I had a Barbarian/Cleric/Druid named Vaqq the Seeker, (who only had an austrian accent because the DM, after disallowing it, suggested the name saying "I'll be Vaqq"), and subsiquently named his bear Arnold.
Somebody new has to make a bear named Selene ;) Actually, depending on if Selene ever levels up enough to get a Brown Bear and if you won't buy my idea that Amairgen is a young Brown Bear (remember he's cinnamom-brown coloured) who is growing older, then her new bear will be named Endymion because Selene and Endymion are just a good match :)

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Somebody new has to make a bear named Selene ;) Actually, depending on if Selene ever levels up enough to get a Brown Bear and if you won't buy my idea that Amairgen is a young Brown Bear (remember he's cinnamom-brown coloured) who is growing older, then her new bear will be named Endymion because Selene and Endymion are just a good match :)
I don't want to hear "He's a Young Polar Bear" later though... :lol:

Edit: Sorry for hijacking the thread, we now return you to your regularly scheduled Bard conversation.

Nyaricus

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Oh, you want a Celtic Bard? I created one of those too (separate from my song-only Troubadour), but I gave my 'Sylvan Bard' class druid spells to help reflect the legendary bards like Amairgen, Taliesin, and Oisin.
Think you could post that up as well??

P.S. no prob for the thread jack; it gave me a laugh

Rystil Arden

First Post
Nyaricus said:
Think you could post that up as well??

P.S. no prob for the thread jack; it gave me a laugh

Don't have it on me at the moment, but basically, I gave it in a new spell list of nature spells, changed around the class skills, kept the Bardic Knowledge, and switched around songs, adding in a Calumnic Satire that can poke fun at corrupt authority figures and even cause them to break out in boils (like in the legends) and a Song of Revealing that basically acts like True Seeing, among others.

Nyaricus

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Don't have it on me at the moment, but basically, I gave it in a new spell list of nature spells, changed around the class skills, kept the Bardic Knowledge, and switched around songs, adding in a Calumnic Satire that can poke fun at corrupt authority figures and even cause them to break out in boils (like in the legends) and a Song of Revealing that basically acts like True Seeing, among others.
alrighty, i am patient; but i would really like to see it :D Please remember;)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Well, Sylvan Bard isn't typed up, which is a problem, but I found a file with the full Troubadour class. Please note that Arcane Ballad and Eldritch Ballad need to be edited because the campaign setting I created that uses Troubadour has different arcane casting classes than normal. You'll notice Sorcerer isn't listed--the Ballad benefit for Sorcerer should read that they are allowed to apply metamagic without spending a full-round action.

Code:
Troubadour
BAB		Ref	Fort	Will	Special
+0		+0	+0	+2	Minne, Minuet
+1		+0	+0	+3	Paean, Requiem
+2		+1	+1	+3	Pastoral, Holy Thre, Madrigal
+3		+1	+1	+4	Unholy Thre, Mambo, Kybele's Thre
+3		+1	+1	+4	Liquefying Thre, Lullaby, Aerial Thre
+4		+2	+2	+5	Operetta, Flame Thre, Bewitching E, Boreal Thre
+5		+2	+2	+5	Spirited E, Electric Thre, Arcane Ballad, Sage E
+6		+2	+2	+6	Mass Lullaby, Andante March, Vivacious E 
+6		+3	+3	+6	Prelude, Swift E
+7		+3	+3	+7	Aubade, Finale, Herculean Etude
+8		+3	+3	+7	Holy Carol, Kybele's Carol, Wistful Elegy
+9		+4	+4	+8	Liquefying Carol, Aerial Carol, Flame Carol
+9		+4	+4	+8	Boreal Carol, Electric Carol, Gavotte
+10		+4	+4	+9	Unholy Carol, Capriccio
+11		+5	+5	+9	Eldritch Ballad, Shining Fantasia
+12		+5	+5	+10	Woeful Elegy, Allegro March
+12		+5	+5	+10	Goddess Hymnus
+13		+6	+6	+11 	Warding Round
+14		+6	+6	+11	Pegasus Mazurka
+15		+6	+6	+12	Maiden's Virelai

Hit Dice: 1d6
Skill Points: 4+Int Bonus (Use Bard skill list)

Melodies once per day per Troubadour level (Only one melody per Troubadour can affect the same creature at a single time)-
Guardian Minne: DR 1/-, + 1/- per 5 levels
Carnage Minuet: +1 Morale Bonus to Melee Damage, + 1 per 5 levels
Healing Paean: Fast Healing 1, + 1 per 5 levels
Discordant Requiem: Enemy takes 1 Damage / round + 1 per 5 levels until she saves
Herb Pastoral: +4 Morale Bonus to saves against Poison, Immunity to Poison at 10
Threnodys: Weakness 2 vs element and -1 to saves vs school + Weakness 2 and - 1 saves per 5 levels (Holy = Positive Energy and Abjuration, Unholy = Negative Energy and Necromancy, Kybele's = Earth/Acid and Divination, Liquefying = Water and Transmutation, Aerial = Air and Conjuration, Flame = Fire and Enchantment, Boreal = Ice and Illusion, Electric = Electricity and Evocation)
Precise Madrigal: +1 Morale Bonus to Melee Attacks, +1 per 5 levels 
Evasive Mambo: +1 Morale Bonus to AC, +1 per 5 levels
Lullaby: As the Sleep spell, but one target only
Intransigent Operetta: +4 Morale Bonus to saves against Compulsions, Immunity to Compulsion at 15
Etudes: +2 Morale Bonus to Stat, +2 per 10 levels (Bewitching = Charisma, Spirited = Wisdom, Sage = Intelligence, Vivacious = Constitution, Swift = Dexterity, Herculean = Strength)  
Arcane Ballad: Enchantresses count spells as 1 level lower for Channeling, Magicians get +4 to Strength and Constitution of summoned creatures, Necromancers get +4 to Strength and +2 hp/HD of their undead, Witches may have two of the participants in a coven use each spell before it fades, and Wizards may substitute any memorised spell for any spell in one of his spellbooks he can browse through as a full-round action  
Mass Lullaby: As the Deep Slumber spell, multiple targets allowed
Andante March: Allies gain an extra Move-Equivalent Action per round
Archer's Prelude: +1 Morale Bonus to Ranged Attack and Damage, +1 per 5 levels 
Vigilant Aubade: +4 Morale Bonus to saves against Sleep, Immunity to Sleep at 15
Dispelling Finale: Dispels spells active on an opponent
Carols:  Resistance 2 vs element and +1 to saves vs school, + Res 2 and + 1 saves per 5 levels (same correspondance as Threnody)
Wistful Elegy: Affected opponent is limited to one partial action per round
Freedom Gavotte: +4 Morale Bonus to saves against Paralysis, Immunity to Paralysis at 20
Calcification Capriccio: +4 Morale Bonus to saves against Petrification, Immunity to Petrification at 20
Eldritch Ballad:  Enchantresses count spells as 2 level lower for Channeling, Magicians get +8 to Strength and Constitution of summoned creatures, Necromancers get +8 to Strength and +4 hp/HD of their undead, Witches may have all three of the participants in a coven use each spell before it fades, and Wizards may substitute any memorised spell for any spell he has learned as a move-equivalent action
Shining Fantasia: +4 Morale Bonus to saves against Level Drain and Death Effects, Immunity to Level Drain and Death Effects at 20
Woeful Elegy: Affected opponent is limited to one move-equivalent action per round
Allegro March: Allies gain an extra partial action per round
Goddess Hymnus: Allies' hit point total remains at 1 or above unless a blow would knock them dead, in which case they become unconscious but stabilised one hit point above death, with the excess damage taken as nonlethal damage
Warding Round:  Allies gain SR 10, + 5 per 5 levels
Pegasus Mazurka: Allies gain a flight speed equal to twice their base movement speed
Maiden's Virelai: As the Dominate Monster spell

Nyaricus

First Post
nice Troubadour class; i will definitively big grabbing some abilities from that list, and some of the neat names too.

--------------

Some other thoughts: the Bard (as in the Celtic Bard i described above) seems to be fit to a more PrC's build than as a base class. He just seems too . . . mighty, too archetypical to be a base class. Opinions on this?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Nyaricus said:
nice Troubadour class; i will definitively big grabbing some abilities from that list, and some of the neat names too.

--------------

Some other thoughts: the Bard (as in the Celtic Bard i described above) seems to be fit to a more PrC's build than as a base class. He just seems too . . . mighty, too archetypical to be a base class. Opinions on this?
My players took one look at the class and decided they wanted to try a Troubadour cohort. And they would never play a Bard. So far, they've gotten a lot of use out of Allegro March and Eldritch Ballad.

Edit: Oh, my original Sylvan Bard is a PrC, actually :D

Nyaricus

First Post
Rystil, man, it scares me how much we have in common for a Celtic-inspired Bard. Could i please please please bother you to type it up??? I'd love to see what you got cooking here!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads